Debbie Downer and/or reality check?

Speaking strictly for me, I don't assume our front office is unaware of this need but the plans to fill it are looking, shall we say, incognito?

So I'm afraid Oooooooh! Shiny!!!!! may have distracted and detracted from filling this need.

Hopeful nails it for me. I give Rex and Whaley credit for resigning Hughes but not much else. The chief weaknesses of the Bills last year, besides coaching, were qb, guard, guard and right tackle. Incognito is a stopgap that might or might not work out; for a third wr, Harvin is a very expensive distraction; McCoy is a VERY expensive dancer who will be wasted behind last year's line or the equivalent. Meanwhile we lost a decent TE and one of the most promising players in the entire league and spent up to or near the cap (I'm guessing there), and we STILL need a qb, at least one guard and a tackle, for the third year in a row.

There's still time, but they strike me more like teenagers maxing out their dad's credit card than shrewd insiders who know what they're doing.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we get another guard...either through free agency or the draft I am not going to assume that RI will be a starter, Richardson will start one position and the other will be either a free agent or rookie (Tomlinson or cann). But, RI will help push them

If we get another guard...either through free agency or the draft I am not going to assume that RI will be a starter, Richardson will start one position and the other will be either a free agent or rookie (Tomlinson or cann). But, RI will help push them

I feel dumber for having read this.

It's a legitimate concern. As fans, we have no power to effect any changes, or to predict the future, or to know what they're thinking. Your anxiety is not misplaced.

It may not end up this way, but right now, I feel the same way I did last year when they traded for Sammy. It's cool and flashy, but it's not exactly what we really need. I would much rather see the Front Office hardcore courting top guards than schmoozing Percy Harvin.

I'm sure they are aware of it. We just need to see some results. It's still a huge, huge concern. And I just don't want the Whaley tenure to resemble the Tom Donahoe years where we kept getting name skill players and made big moves in the draft for the headlines but never improved the offensive line and never made it to the playoffs as a result.

Nice post. It's nice to read a balanced take.

I too think the front office is fully aware of our needs, and is trying, but could well come up short, again. Inability to get a QB with high likelihood of success this year I understand; they are in very high demand. Inability to get at least serviceable TE and o-line again is a significant concern. I think what they tried for these positions last year was okay; it just didn't work. (I'm not thumping my fists that they should have drafted four offensive linemen!) Because of this, I'm not too concerned, yet.

I am a bit wary of the Harvin signing. I would rather the team build a dynasty than a flash-in-the-pan one-year shot at the play-offs. But unlike what some people are posting, I like the message it sends to the team. Clearly we are building to win now. Get on board, or get out of the way.

Edited by Matt in KC

if we go on the assumption that we will move forward with what we like to call a serviceable QB, the Bills biggest problem were with Guards and TE next. We have not improved at Guard very much and have taken a hit at TE. I love the new toys but we need open running lanes for those guys. What do you think we do at G and TE? Who is out there that could be an upgrade or at least get us back to Chandler level at TE?

First off, smart money is still that we get Clay. second, even if we don't, it won't be hard to upgrade Chandler. Options have been mentioned. Chandler, like Stevie Johnson is one of those guys that Bills fans overrate because he plays (or, "played") for the Bills. He's not doing anything that will be hard to replace. Sort of like Stevie in SF...who was so damn great they let him walk for nothing.

As far as the guard position goes, I'm with you...we need some activity here! But I am not at all worried about it. I see very little chance that we won't add more talent at that position.

Hopeful nails it for me. I give Rex and Whaley credit for resigning Hughes but not much else. The chief weaknesses of the Bills last year, besides coaching, were qb, guard, guard and right tackle. Incognito is a stopgap that might or might not work out; for a third wr, Harvin is a very expensive distraction; McCoy is a VERY expensive dancer who will be wasted behind last year's line or the equivalent. Meanwhile we lost a decent TE and one of the most promising players in the entire league and spent up to or near the cap (I'm guessing there), and we STILL need a qb, at least one guard and a tackle, for the third year in a row.

There's still time, but they strike me more like teenagers maxing out their dad's credit card than shrewd insiders who know what they're doing.

This summarizes the way I feel. Seems like we ignore our OL needs year after year.

This summarizes the way I feel. Seems like we ignore our OL needs year after year.

When a team is picking late like us this year, the best player available is usually a guard or center. It seems that we will have available when we draft in the 2nd round, a top 3 guard or center. Kinda fits right in perfectly with what we need. Very simple - just have to pull the trigger.

Diffilcuties with reading? Or just loving posting some wannabe smart sarcasm online that you can't take the time?

You posted a half baked LAMP "real talk" topic on a board filled with discussions on the exact same thought. I'm surprised you expected people not to be sarcastic

Diffilcuties with reading? Or just loving posting some wannabe smart sarcasm online that you can't take the time?

they all turn into the same thing young Padawan

my apologies for responding sarcastically in your thread.

if we go on the assumption that we will move forward with what we like to call a serviceable QB, the Bills biggest problem were with Guards and TE next. We have not improved at Guard very much and have taken a hit at TE. I love the new toys but we need open running lanes for those guys. What do you think we do at G and TE? Who is out there that could be an upgrade or at least get us back to Chandler level at TE?

these questions are being asked and answered in every QB thread, every TE thread, every OL thread, every FA sighting thread

again I apologize... but then

SEE what I mean this V

You posted a half baked LAMP "real talk" topic on a board filled with discussions on the exact same thought. I'm surprised you expected people not to be sarcastic

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Clearly we are building to win now.

If the defense has another year like 2014--or even improves--it will be hard to keep them together from a $$$ standpoint. That's just the reality of the NFL today.

So taking their shot now, even without a quality QB, is what Whaley's trying to do. Who knows what might happen in the AFC. If Brady gets injured, Manning gets another year older, Luck comes up short again, etc. even a "ground and pound" team could go very far in the playoffs.

Roll them bones, Doug...

Exactly who is this player?

And are you honestly arguing that on paper Bills' aren't better off now than they were on January1?

they all turn into the same thing young Padawan

my apologies for responding sarcastically in your thread.

these questions are being asked and answered in every QB thread, every TE thread, every OL thread, every FA sighting thread

again I apologize... but then

SEE what I mean this V

I am really not concerned about QB. I think they did as well as they could with Cassel. He has had success before and that is more than can be said about anyone else available. I wanted to see us really improve at OL for the last 2 or 3 years. To balance that guys like McCoy and Harvin will "improve" the OL when their speed will allow plays to develop faster