Israeli Elections

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and let me interpret the lefts response: we're going to do everything possible to make your term a failure. sound familiar?

Nope. Don't recall that at all. I recall McConnell saying he was going to do what he could to ensure Barry only had one term, but then again, facts don't work well with lefties, so I can see how you screwed that up.

Nope. Don't recall that at all. I recall McConnell saying he was going to do what he could to ensure Barry only had one term, but then again, facts don't work well with lefties, so I can see how you screwed that up.

Basically McConnell was Ivan Drago and Obama was Rocky.

his comments on the settlements make no sense to me nor did they to the interviewer, apparently. anybody want to take a stab at interpretting? seems to me he's saying they're not expanding but then admitting that they are. and that they're not on the table for peace talks. that in fact, it's not a big issue with voters in israel.

How about "if you like your settlement..."

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/03/israeli-elections-israel-future-116266.html?hp=t3_r#.VQ2QDeE6jJT

t is impossible to answer this crucial question without examining and understanding the shared traumas that Israelis experienced over the last two decades: In 1993 they opened their ears to peace with PLO leader Yasser Arafat (the Oslo Accords); in 2000 they tried to end the Israeli-Palestinian conflict (the Camp David peace summit); and in 2005 they withdrew unilaterally from the Gaza Strip (the Disengagement). These efforts did not lead to quiet, calm and security, but to violence, terror and instability.

It is impossible to answer “who is Israel” without examining and understanding the shared traumas that Israelis experienced in the last four years: all around them the Arab world crumbled into chaos (the slaughter in Syria, Islamic State in Iraq, al-Qaeda in the Sinai Peninsula, violence in Libya, Yemen and Lebanon). And the Gaza Strip, from which they had withdrawn, became the heavily armed and hostile base of Hamas, raining down a barrage of missiles on Tel Aviv for 50 days in the summer of 2014. The aggregate result of these traumas is an understandable but dangerous shift to the right. Because the old peace-idea was not replaced by a new peace-idea, many Israelis fear for their future and are no longer willing to embrace American and European peace initiatives, which seem to them completely divorced from reality. At the same time, some Israelis have developed xenophobic tendencies that do not stem from inherent racism, but from a deep fear that the center-left in Israel and the international community cannot assuage.

Forty-eight hours after the voting booths had closed, I found myself at a wedding in the northern town of Tiberias. The guests were very different than my neighbors, my colleagues and my friends in north Tel Aviv. They were mostly Oriental, traditional and downtrodden, hard-working men and women who strive to give their children a better future. And because they recognized me from news programs on television, many approached me, eager to engage in conversation. More than 80 percent had voted for Netanyahu. Why? Because of their fear of the cauldron that is the Middle East, because of their contempt for the liberal media, because the Tel Aviv elite does not respect their traditions, their beliefs, or their way of life.

I did not argue. I listened. All around me were people who were neither extremist nor racist, and yet the Israeli peace movement and the international community are unable (and often unwilling) to reach them. All around me were warm, charming and dynamic people who are pushed into the arms of hard-liners by the arrogance and ineptitude of the left. When the older skullcap-wearing men mixed with the younger mini-skirted women on the dance floor to the sounds of Israeli, American and Arabic music, I suddenly felt that not all was lost. Despite everything that had happened this week, change is still possible. If we do what we must and can do, we can resurrect the benevolent Israel that now seems lost. It is not too late to save the heart and soul of my beloved country.