Israeli Elections

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooh! Good one. I look forward to your learning how to use the shift key to capitalize words like a grownup does. Your pedantic diatribes will be so much more effectively arrogant then.

wow. attacking my punctuation...i'm wounded deeply

you all seem unable to grasp the distinction between street murderers and state sponsored murderers. while there are similarities, there are important objective differences.

you all seem unable to grasp the distinction between street murderers and state sponsored murderers. while there are similarities, there are important objective differences.

In Mexico, there's not much of a difference.

interesting

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/19/opinion/thomas-friedman-bibi-will-make-history.html?ref=opinion&_r=1

The biggest losers in all of this, besides all the Israelis who did not vote for Netanyahu, are American Jews and non-Jews who support Israel. What Bibi did to win this election was move the Likud Party from a center-right party to a far-right one. The additional votes he got were all grabbed from the other far-right parties — not from the center. When the official government of Israel is a far-right party that rejects a two-state solution and employs anti-Arab dog whistles to get elected, it will split the basic unity of the American Jewish community on Israel. How many American Jews want to defend a one-state solution in Washington or on their college campuses? Is Aipac, the Israel lobby, now going to push for a one-state solution on Capitol Hill? How many Democrats and Republicans would endorse that?

Warning: Real trouble ahead.

Aren't you the (*^*&%^$^#that keeps blaming Saudi Arabia for 9/11, because 15 Saudis were on the planes?

And it's everyone else who can't grasp that distinction? :wallbash:

Aren't you the (*^*&%^$^#that keeps blaming Saudi Arabia for 9/11, because 15 Saudis were on the planes?

And it's everyone else who can't grasp that distinction? :wallbash:

um, no. wasn't me.

i don't think this follows. israelis are showing their true overall bias: far right. to be this willing to enter war, they are by necessity. i suspect support for israel will be a tougher sell to sympathetic american progressives, jewish or not. but not US conservatives. they're pleased with this turn to the far right, overall

Edited by birdog1960

um, no. wasn't me.

i don't think this follows. israelis are showing their true overall bias: far right. to be this willing to enter war, they are by necessity. i suspect support for israel will be a tougher sell to sympathetic american progressives, jewish or not. but not US conservatives. they're pleased with this turn to the far right, overall

American and Canadian progressives don't really face the risk that Israeli's face each day so I don't think they are relevant either way.

I'm not a fan of Netanyahu but their population is much more informed about politics, specifically foreign policy than anyone in North America. They also actually turn out to vote.

Shocking that he and Obama can't get along.

his comments on the settlements make no sense to me nor did they to the interviewer, apparently. anybody want to take a stab at interpretting? seems to me he's saying they're not expanding but then admitting that they are. and that they're not on the table for peace talks. that in fact, it's not a big issue with voters in israel.

Interesting take on things....

Netanyahus Win Is Good for Palestine

Mr. Netanyahus re-election has convincingly proved that trusting Israeli voters with the fate of Palestinian rights is disastrous and immoral. His government will oppose any constructive change, placing Israel on a collision course with the rest of the world. And this collision has never been more necessary.

The election results will further galvanize the movement seeking to isolate Israel internationally. B.D.S. campaigns will grow, and more countries will move toward imposing sanctions to change Israeli behavior. In the past few years, a major Dutch pension fund divested large sums from Israeli banks active in the West Bank, and hundreds of millions of dollars have been divested from companies, like G4S and SodaStream, that operate in occupied territory.

There wont be real change on the ground or at the polls without further pressure on Israel. And now, that pressure will increase. For this, we have Mr. Netanyahu to thank.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/03/19/opinion/netanyahus-win-is-good-for-palestine.html?referrer=

Interesting take on things....

Netanyahus Win Is Good for Palestine

Mr. Netanyahus re-election has convincingly proved that trusting Israeli voters with the fate of Palestinian rights is disastrous and immoral. His government will oppose any constructive change, placing Israel on a collision course with the rest of the world. And this collision has never been more necessary.

The election results will further galvanize the movement seeking to isolate Israel internationally. B.D.S. campaigns will grow, and more countries will move toward imposing sanctions to change Israeli behavior. In the past few years, a major Dutch pension fund divested large sums from Israeli banks active in the West Bank, and hundreds of millions of dollars have been divested from companies, like G4S and SodaStream, that operate in occupied territory.

There wont be real change on the ground or at the polls without further pressure on Israel. And now, that pressure will increase. For this, we have Mr. Netanyahu to thank.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/03/19/opinion/netanyahus-win-is-good-for-palestine.html?referrer=

netanyahu doesn't care what the world thinks. read his response in the interview. but financial pressure could change his tune.

How concerned are you about Israel's international isolation?

Well, look. I think that there is a misperception. Israel has done enormous amount of, for peace. I myself have done things that no prime minister previously had done. I had frozen the settlements. Nobody did that. And I think, you know, the ones that have to be convinced are not only the international communities, the people of Israel will have to be convinced that the Palestinians are ready for peace. The leaders of Iran, just in the last few days have said that they would arm the West Bank and turn it into another Gaza. What the people of Israel are saying, "Hey, make sure that doesn't happen again." And if that is misperceived in some parts of the international community that's unfortunate, but I think that that's the truth.

Edited by birdog1960

Shocking that he and Obama can't get along.

Seriously. Netanyahu essentially did what Obama does for a living; walk the thin line between imply and infer that usually follows with Obama saying "Well, actually, what I said was..."

Hey lefties...let me translate BiBi for you: You lost. Get on the back of the bus.

Seriously. Netanyahu essentially did what Obama does for a living; walk the thin line between imply and infer that usually follows with Obama saying "Well, actually, what I said was..."

Hey lefties...let me translate BiBi for you: You lost. Get on the back of the bus.

and let me interpret the lefts response: we're going to do everything possible to make your term a failure. sound familiar?

Edited by birdog1960