[closed]Charles Clay to Bills? - the sequel/trilogy

Reading the tea leaves a bit, Miami is going to be in some trouble cap-wise next year. They've already got $128M committed to 36 players, and that's not counting Jordan Cameron. Now, in order to fit Cameron under this year's cap, his cap number has to be $6M or less (that's without creating room to sign draft picks), which means his cap number next year will be approx. $9M (at least).

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/cap/2016/

That means that they're at $137M for 37 players. Now, they will probably cut Dannell Ellerbe (likely post June 1st designation), which means his dead money will be reduced from $7M down to $3.5Mish, and they can probably restructure Mike Wallace to bring his number down from $13M, but that would kick a very large can into 2017 (cap number would be about $20M and nearly half of it would be bonus money).

So realistically, we're talking about Miami being at $130M+ for 37 players, and still having to address the contracts of Olivier Vernon and Mike Pouncey.

That number doesn't include whatever extension they give Tannehill.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't be silly. YOLO will start a new thread, and call it "Charles Clay to the Bills III: The Limbo Continues."

Even Peter Jackson would have finished this story by now.

kj

:lol: (I would have went with George R.R. Martin)

Reading the tea leaves a bit, Miami is going to be in some trouble cap-wise next year. They've already got $128M committed to 36 players, and that's not counting Jordan Cameron. Now, in order to fit Cameron under this year's cap, his cap number has to be $6M or less (that's without creating room to sign draft picks), which means his cap number next year will be approx. $9M (at least).

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/cap/2016/

That means that they're at $137M for 37 players. Now, they will probably cut Dannell Ellerbe (likely post June 1st designation), which means his dead money will be reduced from $7M down to $3.5Mish, and they can probably restructure Mike Wallace to bring his number down from $13M, but that would kick a very large can into 2017 (cap number would be about $20M and nearly half of it would be bonus money).

So realistically, we're talking about Miami being at $130M+ for 37 players, and still having to address the contracts of Olivier Vernon and Mike Pouncey.

Seeing that $28.5 million cap number for Suh in 2016 is HILARIOUS. I assume that they have a plan to restructure it at some point, but that's probably not something you want hanging out there unresolved.

Edited by Bills Fan in MD

Indeed...Peter Jackson could green-light, cast, script, direct, edit, and get Academy Awards for an entire series of films before Martin finishes a book!

But for Martin to script the Clay saga, he'd have to add about eighty more unnecessary characters and two-dozen more plots.

Seeing that $28.5 million cap number for Suh in 2016 is HILARIOUS. I assume that they have a plan to restructure it at some point, but that's probably not something you want hanging out there unresolved.

Well they just unloaded Ellerbe, so that'll help. Odds are they'll unload Wallace at some point as well.

Well they just unloaded Ellerbe, so that'll help. Odds are they'll unload Wallace at some point as well.

Wallace would only save them 3.4m in cap though. I can't imagine them cutting their #1 receiver so we can't sign their TE. Granted Landry did well last year, Wallace was always the redzone target.

omg is this for serious? they are going to have 2 highly paid TE's? just to mess with us? or would they sign both and then try to trade one?

if I was Clay I would turn it down knowing there's a bigger role for him on the Bills

@RapSheet: The #Dolphins are still trying to sign TE Charles Clay to a long-term extension. Trade gives them more cap room.

Everybody drink. Here we go again.

A gin and tonic is going to be especially good tonight.

Come on...I can understand this kind of wait and see approach if this is a TE like Gronk or Graham but its Charles Clay!

I know he is good but come on just make the offer and be done with it

This is getting to be too much of a chess match

CBF

This is exactly how I see it as well. I think the Bills have a genuine need and desire to sign Clay, but think now the Dolphins are trying to find a way to get something out of it. Definitely not playing checkers.

I went to bed on Wednesday thinking it most likely we'd get BOTH Harvin and Clay.

I went to bed yesterday night thinking we'd most likely get NEITHER Harvin or Clay.

Woke up today reading a lot of things that made me feel good that we'd at least get one - maybe both.

In the past hour - i'm back to feeling like we're getting neither.