What would it take to get Drew Brees...Trade rumor to Bucs..

GoBills!

RE Trade Rumor Drew Brees!!!

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/3/12/8203041/saints-trade-rumors-drew-brees-brandin-cooks

The New Orleans Saints are ready for an overhaul. After going 7-9 last season, the Saints are reportedly shopping "everyone but Drew Brees and Brandin Cooks," according to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler.

dang it too slow again!!!

You will never beat Yolo.

Its funny I'm so used to most of his posts being news links, it seems weird when I read a normal opinion post by him with no links

CBF

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Mike and Mike this morning they were talking to some talking head that covers the Saints and he said, based on his contacts, that Drew is going nowhere. Also mentioned the Bills as one of the teams that would be very interested and would probably sell their soul to get him because they would be considered instant SB contenders with Brees this season.

Edited by CodeMonkey

You will never beat Yolo.

Its funny I'm so used to most of his posts being news links, it seems weird when I read a normal opinion post by him with no links

CBF

I actually heard that last night on my way home but didn't feel the need to got on the site and post it.

that sight ... no. 2 different links yes :beer:

Couple things about Brees:

- He isn't the same player he was even a couple years ago.

- He has a huge salary.*

When I think of acquiring him I think of Joe Montana in a Chiefs uniform. The Saints might rape some team for him, but I hope it's not the Bills.

*edited to add: $18.75M GUARANTEED in 2015 and $19.75M (non-guaranteed) in 2016. Eligible for a $250k work out bonus in each year.

To sum up: the Bills can't afford him and shouldn't want him even if they could.

Edited by BarleyNY

On Mike and Mike this morning they were talking to some talking head that covers the Saints and he said, based on his contacts, that Drew is going nowhere. Also mentioned the Bills as one of the teams that would be very interested and would probably sell their soul to get him because they would be considered instant SB contenders with Brees this season.

That was the Cajun Cannon. Hebert is an idiot but he is plugged in to the Saints.

•  

- He has a huge salary.*

When I think of acquiring him I think of Joe Montana in a Chiefs uniform. The Saints might rape some team for him, but I hope it's not the Bills.

*edited to add: $18.75M GUARANTEED in 2015 and $19.75M (non-guaranteed) in 2016. Eligible for a $250k work out bonus in each year.

To sum up: the Bills can't afford him and shouldn't want him even if they could.

• Montana had a few good years with the Chiefs. We don't need Brees to come here and win all the games for us. We need a QB that can accurately get the ball to all his weapons. Brees would never have had an offense like ours. He could pop out an MVP season and SB win. (and our O-line is better than what he had last year even before we fix it)

Brees won't be traded. Sorry to pee in people's Cheerios.

I agree I don't think he is going anywhere but it is pretty shortsighted of the Saints not to be entertaining offers for brees. With or without Bress Saints aren't making the playoffs next year. There roster is a disaster. If your the ownership(& I know their ownership is pretty messed up right now) why would you want to pay Brees $40 million for the next 2 years when the rest of the roster is not very good. If I'm ownership, I would put Brees on the trade block & auction him off to the highest bidder.

I agree I don't think he is going anywhere but it is pretty shortsighted of the Saints not to be entertaining offers for brees. With or without Bress Saints aren't making the playoffs next year. There roster is a disaster. If your the ownership(& I know their ownership is pretty messed up right now) why would you want to pay Brees $40 million for the next 2 years when the rest of the roster is not very good. If I'm ownership, I would put Brees on the trade block & auction him off to the highest bidder.

Because he's still a marquee player who will put fannies in the seats for them. With the trade of Graham, who else are their fans coming to watch? As was stated earlier, he is synonymous with New Orleans. It would be a PR nightmare to trade him.

Because he's still a marquee player who will put fannies in the seats for them. With the trade of Graham, who else are their fans coming to watch? As was stated earlier, he is synonymous with New Orleans. It would be a PR nightmare to trade him.

Yeah I suppose, are they still going to want to come to the Superdome when the Brees led saints are 4-8 going into December. This is probably going to be unpopular here but I always viewed Saint fans as fairweather. Yeah Yeah they have supported them terrifically since Katrina, where were they before that though? Anytime you ever saw a Saint fan on TV prior to Katrina they usually had a bag over their head.

That is what I am trying to explain. The Saints are more than willing to pay for what Brees HAS done for the team and city and not just what he WILL do. It is a unique, Derek Jeter type of situation. IF Brees were to be made available it would only be because he went to ownership and said, "I have 3 years left and would like to be traded somewhere where I can compete for a championship." It will be a Brees decision, not a Loomis decision.

That is what I am trying to explain. The Saints are more than willing to pay for what Brees HAS done for the team and city and not just what he WILL do. It is a unique, Derek Jeter type of situation. IF Brees were to be made available it would only be because he went to ownership and said, "I have 3 years left and would like to be traded somewhere where I can compete for a championship." It will be a Brees decision, not a Loomis decision.

Well, that very well maybe the way the Saints play this but it is not smart business. They should unload DB and start rebuilding. It is funny you keep mentioning Jeter's situation with the Yankees. Yankees should of never gave jeter that final contract. In a lot of ways it held the Yankees back from aquiring a real shortstop.

I would think when Brees actually thinks about it he's going to realize that what's happening now us really going to go a long way to opening up a good SB window from 2016-18. They are taking alot of hits now, and will probably take more, but they are currently 50 million under next year's cap and could go to 60 million if they cut Evans, which will probably happen if they trade for Mathis which is rumored.

They also now have 2 1sts in this draft. They are re-tooling now to have money to spend in the next 2 years IMO. They can have more room if Brees restructures.

Well, that very well maybe the way the Saints play this but it is not smart business. They should unload DB and start rebuilding. It is funny you keep mentioning Jeter's situation with the Yankees. Yankees should of never gave jeter that final contract. In a lot of ways it held the Yankees back from aquiring a real shortstop.

There are unique situations where players are rewarded for what they have done (Kobe comes to mind). That is different from even Montana and Favre. Brees' value to the franchise off the field is even greater than his value on (and he threw for 5K yards last year). I'm pretty close to the situation living here, having worked for that regime for a little while and having a lot of friends still there. I know that everyone is hoping that he will be made available but he won't be. If you called and offered 2 1sts and something else they MAY listen but I would think that they would allow Drew to okay anything first. It really isn't a Loomis decision. It will be a combination of Brees and ownership at his request. The ownership battle makes it even less likely though.

I would think when Brees actually thinks about it he's going to realize that what's happening now us really going to go a long way to opening up a good SB window from 2016-18. They are taking alot of hits now, and will probably take more, but they are currently 50 million under next year's cap and could go to 60 million if they cut Evans, which will probably happen if they trade for Mathis which is rumored.

They also now have 2 1sts in this draft. They are re-tooling now to have money to spend in the next 2 years IMO. They can have more room if Brees restructures.

Exactly

- He has a huge salary.*

Brees's 2014 season would have been the second or third best qb season in Bills franchise history depending on your measurement. The fourth best season by a bills qb is very distant from brees's performance last season.

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth!

The bills don't even have a credible qb on the roster at present.

And he will still be infinately better than anyone on our current Roster at the QB position....

Brees's 2014 season would have been the second or third best qb season in Bills franchise history depending on your measurement. The fourth best season by a bills qb is very distant from brees's performance last season.

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth!

The bills don't even have a credible qb on the roster at present.

Which seasons were better? He threw for 4,962 with a 69.2% completion, 33 TDs & 17 INTs for a 97 rating. I don't remember a Bills QB having a season even in that ballpark.

Which seasons were better?

to continue Kirby's line of questioning ......

Which season was better - A or B

(A) 3103 passing yards and 2307 rushing yards = 5410 total yards O rank 19th

(B) 3614 passing yards and 1482 rushing yards = 5096 total yards O rank 26th

compared to Mystery team

(X) 3236 passing yards and 2188 rushing yards = 5424 total yards O rank 18th

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Which season was better

3103 passing yards and 2307 rushing yards = 5410 total yards O rank 19th

3614 passing yards and 1482 rushing yards = 5096 total yards O rank 26th

Dude, are you making an EJ argument? I'm on team EJ as well, but damn, give it a rest.

There are unique situations where players are rewarded for what they have done (Kobe comes to mind). That is different from even Montana and Favre. Brees' value to the franchise off the field is even greater than his value on (and he threw for 5K yards last year). I'm pretty close to the situation living here, having worked for that regime for a little while and having a lot of friends still there. I know that everyone is hoping that he will be made available but he won't be. If you called and offered 2 1sts and something else they MAY listen but I would think that they would allow Drew to okay anything first. It really isn't a Loomis decision. It will be a combination of Brees and ownership at his request. The ownership battle makes it even less likely though.

Exactly

And I can't see in happening ala Peyton Manning. I think that Brees is happy with his place in history and wouldn't jump at the opportunity to chase a ring like Peyton,

Which season was better - A or B

(A) 3236 passing yards and 2188 rushing yards = 5424 total yards O rank 18th

compared to Mystery team

So are you saying that EJ's offense is better than Brees'?

The question is which QB in Bills history has ever had a season as good as the one that Brees had last year? Dave McBride said that it would be the 2nd or 3rd best season that a Bills QB has ever had.

try the latest post Kirby. I copied the wrong line in my editing .. My apologies.

(A) 3103 passing yards and 2307 rushing yards = 5410 total yards O rank 19th

compared to Mystery team

--------

What good did Brees having a "good" season do for that 7-9 team?

believe it or don't - being the PASSING leader does not guarantee success

try the latest post Kirby. I copied the wrong line in my editing .. My apologies.

What good did having a "good" season for Brees do for that 7-9 team?

believe it or don't - being the PASSING leader does not guarantee success

He won a Super Bowl doing it a couple of years ago. I'm not following the logic? He is one of the 5-10 greatest QBs of all-time and coming off of a 5,000 yard season (just about). Obviously, anyone that wouldn't want him is insane.

His season last year (and his last about 7 probably) are all better than any season that a Bills QB has EVER had.

Anyone who wouldn't want Brees on this team should just stop watching football right now.

Pretty much

I am not arguing Drew sucks. Would I love him in Buffalo? Hell yes.

He won a Super Bowl doing it a couple of years ago. I'm not following the logic? He is one of the 5-10 greatest QBs of all-time and coming off of a 5,000 yard season (just about). Obviously, anyone that wouldn't want him is insane.

His season last year (and his last about 7 probably) are all better than any season that a Bills QB has EVER had.

Pretty much

so did the team ranked 18th

STATS LIE, you can not totally rely on one unique aspect of the game

coaching and schemes can make a 500 yards passing game = a LOSS

so did the team ranked 18th over the team ranked 19th

STATS LIE, you can not totally rely on one unique aspect of the game

We all are in agreement that Brees would be our best option at QB right? If not, there is no use discussing football with anyone that believes that the Bills are in a better position without him.

Now that that is out of the way, I'm still not following at all what your point is? A QB coming off one of the top 10 passing seasons in NFL history couldn't help the team? I am not sure what role the record plays because the Saints are a 1-2 win team without Brees and the Bills are a 13 win team with him. The Bills team is 7 games better than the Saints team but they finished 2 games apart. That is the difference between Brees and Orton/EJ. That is abundantly clear, isn't it?

We all are in agreement that Brees would be our best option at QB right? If not, there is no use discussing football with anyone that believes that the Bills are in a better position without him.

Now that that is out of the way, I'm still not following at all what your point is? A QB coming off one of the top 10 passing seasons in NFL history couldn't help the team? I am not sure what role the record plays because the Saints are a 1-2 win team without Brees and the Bills are a 13 win team with him. The Bills team is 7 games better than the Saints team but they finished 2 games apart. That is the difference between Brees and Orton/EJ. That is abundantly clear, isn't it?

Drew would be an improvement over the Inexperienced EJ, the 4 th year developing Tyrod and the 10 year journeyman Meh

BUT again having him will not guarantee anything!!!

Drew would be an improvement over the Inexperienced EJ, the 4 th year developing Tyrod and the 10 year journeyman Meh

BUT again having him will not guarantee anything!!!

He would have the same impact that Manning had on Denver (only the Bills are further along than that Broncos team was in terms of talent).

With that being said there is a 0.0% (cue Animal House) chance of Brees being available so I am not sure why there are 4 pages discussing it.

You want Brees then you better start rooting for the Saints.

My wife and I already do, :bag:

With that being said there is a 0.0% (cue Animal House) chance of Brees being available so I am not sure why there are 4 pages discussing it.

because we are gluttons for punishment and are drawn to BS rumor threads?!?!

To clarify -- that 19th ranked Offense Won the Super Bowl.

A team with a good (not great/elite) QB, a solid run game and a bad azz defense

Which seasons were better? He threw for 4,962 with a 69.2% completion, 33 TDs & 17 INTs for a 97 rating. I don't remember a Bills QB having a season even in that ballpark.

Kelly, in 1990 and 1991. Recall that the bills ran the ball a lot and the passing yards didn't compare with brees. But the ypa and passer rating did. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KellJi00.htm

•  

• Montana had a few good years with the Chiefs. We don't need Brees to come here and win all the games for us. We need a QB that can accurately get the ball to all his weapons. Brees would never have had an offense like ours. He could pop out an MVP season and SB win. (and our O-line is better than what he had last year even before we fix it)
I don't think he has that left in the tank. Even if he does, this isn't something that could be done in a vacuum. It would not only cost in terms of draft pick(s) and/or players, his huge salary is an issue. Either players have to be traded/cut or restructured which would move some hellish dollars into future years. Oh and I failed to mention another important issue. Brees has to have excellent interior line play to be effective. Just look at who plays there in NO and what they are paid. That would have to be dealt with too. Edited by BarleyNY

I don't think he has that left in the tank. Even if he does, this isn't something that could be done in a vacuum. It would not only cost in terms of draft pick(s) and/or players, his huge salary is an issue. Either players have to be traded/cut or restructured which would move some hellish dollars into future years. Oh and I failed to mention another important issue. Brees has to have excellent interior line play to be effective. Just look at who plays there in NO and what they are paid. That would have to be dealt with too.

His interior line play took a big step back last year and he threw for 4,962 yards. Just for fun what would you project his stats to be on this Bills roster right now?

My wife and I already do, :bag:

because we are gluttons for punishment and are drawn to BS rumor threads?!?!

To clarify -- that 19th ranked Offense Won the Super Bowl.

A team with a good (not great/elite) QB, a solid run game and a bad azz defense

The KC Chiefs are on the phone. They want to know where their 2014 SB win is.....

The KC Chiefs are on the phone. They want to know where their 2014 SB win is.....

I know what you're getting at, but let's not pretend that the team that allowed a combined 97 yards on 16 carries to Bryce Brown and Boobie Dixon was some kind of defensive juggernaut.