http://www.buffalonews.com/article/19941205/CITYANDREGION/312059853

Ralph Hubbell obituary 2000:

http://www.buffalonews.com/article/20000916/CITYANDREGION/309169980

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you! i grew up with all of them.. i especially remember chuck healy on the bowling show "beat the champ".. on sat eves..

It's funny, today, while "bowling" on the Xbox with my 8-year-old son, I was thinking of "Beat the Champ" and my Grandma's favorite show, "Strikes, Spares, and Misses," and then I find this. Thanks!

thank you! i grew up with all of them.. i especially remember chuck healy on the bowling show "beat the champ".. on sat eves..

I vaguely remember "Beat the Champ" from my childhood.

I remember much better Bowling for Dollars with a young Ed Kilgore.

WOW! Bowling for Dollars! Hadn't thought of that in.... forever. That was back from my Commander Tom era, I believe.

I certainly don't mean to throw this thread off-track...but while we are talking about the good old days in Buffalo with regards to sports, or sports broadcasters...

Let me throw this link out there for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

http://www.forgottenbuffalo.com/forgottenbflofeatures/insidetheaud.html

I find the photos of the abandoned and falling down Aud absolutely mesmerizing for some reason. Brings back a lot of memories from the 1970s and later for me.

PS: Who remembers the old broadcasting location in the Aud? As I remember it, there was like a bridge to go out to it from the main grandstand area up in the oranges. It sort of hung from the roof the way I remember it.

I will never forget going to a game as a kid in the 1970s with my dad, and, before the game started, seeing RJ out in that broadcasting "gondola" thing...smoking a butt and drinking a beer out of a big, clear plastic cup!

Now that's a fine Buffalo sports broadcasting memory.

The world in which that observation took place no longer exists.

Wasnt that from "Rocka Chip 7?"

Sure. Tom Jolls.

"Happy birthday to Jennifer who turns 8 today. Look in the clothes dryer in the basement, your present is there."

:thumbsup::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Stopthepain

I certainly don't mean to throw this thread off-track...but while we are talking about the good old days in Buffalo with regards to sports, or sports broadcasters...

Let me throw this link out there for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

http://www.forgottenbuffalo.com/forgottenbflofeatures/insidetheaud.html

I find the photos of the abandoned and falling down Aud absolutely mesmerizing for some reason. Brings back a lot of memories from the 1970s and later for me.

Those were awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, my sister was on Bowling for Dollars and I was in the stand Edited by LittleJoeCartwright

In the 70's as a kid, I remember watching the weekly show on Channel 4, "Let's Talk Sports", with Van Miller, Stan Barron, Healy, & Rifenburg on the panel. Never really cared for any of them though, to us, they were 2nd-rate to Channel 7's Rick Azar & of course the late great Clip Smith. When Ed Kilgore came to town, he was a scrub at the bottom of the barrel, very very green.... he replaced Mike Nolan I think.

When I was a kid we went to be in the audience for Dialing for Dollars and my Dad got called up to be a contestant. They had a shot of me and my family in the audience.

The thing I remember most vividly was it was the same studio that Cmdr Tom was taped, and there was a lifeless Promo the Robot sitting there on the other stage. I remember being concerned and asking my Mom what was wrong with Promo (the answer was sleeping of course)

My sister and I appeared on some sort of TV show hosted by Kevin O'Connell which I think would have occurred at WIVB Channel 4 and/or WBEN (which were kind of the same thing back in the 1970s).

Anyone remember what show that would have been? With like 5 or 8 kids appearing on a kid-related TV show?

Strangely, all I really remember is being given a giant cardboard box filled with potato chips as a gift for appearing on the show, plus a T-shirt and some other stuff like that. I was into the chips though.