SF FA guard Mike Iupati (update: going to Cardinals)

CJPearl2

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they will let Pears, Rivers, Lawson, and Spikes walk. That frees up another $10 mil., and they are projected to have $17 m available in cap space prior to those moves. They'll need to sign Searcy, Bryant, Wynn, Easely, Hogan, and Hairston. That'll probably cost them around $4mil above their current salaries. Hughes has a $4mil hit this year, so what will it take to sign him? Another $5mil? That leaves a lot of space to sign some other FAs. I assume Iupati would cost about $7-8 mil?

I thought we had a bit more cap space than that based on rolling $11-12m or so forward from this year to next year?

Are we willing to pay something like six-year, $46.8 million contract with $13 million guaranteed to a guard ? Levitre got something like that from the Titans and he had never made the pro bowl so Im sure lupati will be looking for more than that . We may have to try for Boling but he may be looking something in line with that as well .

How about Bryan Bulaga? He is going to be the top tackle available unless he resigns with GB. Bulaga and Iupati top two lineman to go after

I would love to see us sign them both! Lots of teams had bad offensive lines and there aren't lots of options. Last year everyone overpaid for OL. I expect big salaries this year. No question - we need at least two new starters- maybe 3

Mike Iupati and Clint Boling need to be the biggest free agent targets since Mario. Boling will be cheaper but is still a HUGE upgrade. Iupati is better but will be much more expensive.

absolutely

We need a whole new interior. That includes Wood

We have Cyril Richardson, unanimous first team All-American sitting there, in drastic need of coaching, Cyrus, first team All-American tackle from Alabama, needs coaching. These are better athletes than the starters. They need a coach.

Iupati would be great. But without a good OL coach, his talents will be wasted.

Agree with this, I PRAY to the football gods Pat Morris gets canned.

There's a real chance given that his HC just left and his team will have a new philosophy.

However, we'd do well to remember that players call the shots in FA and you cannot make someone sign with you. It's a combo of offering the best money and getting a buy-in to what you're doing.

He is going to leave the Bay Area for Buffalo? Hmm.. This guy, who has been to the NFC title game 3 of the past 4 seasons, will get top dollar from his choice of any of 5-10 teams and he is going to go WNY in January and sign with the reigning no playoff team?

Edited by 8and8Forever

He is going to leave the Bay Area for Buffalo? Hmm.. This guy, who has been to the NFC title game 3 of the past 4 seasons, will get top dollar from his choice of any of 5-10 teams and he is going to go WNY in January and sign with the reigning no playoff team?

as someone moving to the bay area, i fully understand what you're saying, but as a football player you're also looking for opportunities to win in your short career. Who knows what's up next in SF but there are many, many question marks.

Is love to land Iupati but I thin boling is a better bet when price is considered. Plus I expect a guy like Levitre to get cut and then take a lesser deal in his new town.

The saints for example, are in cap trouble and have two of te highest paid Gs in the league (in terms of cap hit) in Ben grubs and Jaheim Evans. I'd love to get someone like Grubbs and boling

But isn't Levitre essentially B list by that criteria? The problem is that if something good is in short supply, the price goes up. And there will always be the issue of a guy not fitting wherever he signs as a FA. I think the chances of a premier talent fitting in are better than that "B" guy who may or may not have looked better based on the system / personnel around him.

I just don't know how we could say no if Iupati were open to coming here.

But sometimes if your guy is just good enough at winning one on one battles, schemes matter less.

I want to see those two All Americans play and succeed, but they clearly aren't there yet, and the road to the pros is littered with college All American failures.

He would qualify- and I'm not saying 100% of them are great. But I think if you look at the pressures per game given up by a good guard vs a great guard- the extra 1-2 sacks a year and 2-3 pressures a month aren't worth the extra 30% in pay (haven't looked at the numbers in a few years, but it was amazing how close the stats were last time I did see an article in the topic).

Could sign 2 very good guards, or iupati and a cheap guy for the same dollars potentially and I think the net of two 6m vets is better than iupati and hoping someone steps up (of course it's possible there's not some positional outlines on what we will dedicate, but I think we're more likely to spring in d line)

He would qualify- and I'm not saying 100% of them are great. But I think if you look at the pressures per game given up by a good guard vs a great guard- the extra 1-2 sacks a year and 2-3 pressures a month aren't worth the extra 30% in pay (haven't looked at the numbers in a few years, but it was amazing how close the stats were last time I did see an article in the topic).

Could sign 2 very good guards, or iupati and a cheap guy for the same dollars potentially and I think the net of two 6m vets is better than iupati and hoping someone steps up (of course it's possible there's not some positional outlines on what we will dedicate, but I think we're more likely to spring in d line)

Yup.

as someone moving to the bay area, i fully understand what you're saying, but as a football player you're also looking for opportunities to win in your short career. Who knows what's up next in SF but there are many, many question marks.

no doubt he is leaving the Bay Area, but out of the 5-10 teams who will pay his price, he is going to pick the Bills and WNY? I suppose anything is possible and maybe he knows players on the team (doubt it) but who makes that decision? This is the challenge for this organization, to somehow re package the franchise and the area and something other than perrenial losers. Hey I hope they go after and get him, I just am "from Missour"i on all this FA stuff. This ain't fantasy football, this is the real thing.

• 2 weeks later...