Same Old Bills

Here we go again. We have a very good, young talent that we are just letting go. Jerry will walk away and we now have another hole to fill. Good teams find ways to keep their good players and not let them just leave. We will be back on that never ending cycle of having to replace top talent. It's not like we don't have the cap space to have kept him.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go again. We have a very good, young talent that we are just letting go. Jerry will walk away and we now have another hole to fill. Good teams find ways to keep their good players and not let them just leave. We will be back on that never ending cycle of having to replace top talent. It's not like we don't have the cap space to have kept him.

With Rex, he's less of a hole to fit. For what he is asking, you could fill two positions. One step backward, two steps forward.

I'm all for retaining good talent, but it needs to be at a reasonable and team friendly deal

I didnt realize we had lost him yet

We weren't expected to tag him, were we? He hasn't walked, yet. They're still trying to strike a deal.

Hard to call us the "same old Bills" with new owner, and coaching staff.

Regardless whether he walks or not, good teams don't franchise a player for about twice what he's probably worth. Five teams franchised a player, seems more like good teams know it's not a smart move to do that. Of the team's that did franchise a player, clearly that player was the best player on their respective team at that particular position. Hughes at best is the third best lineman on the Bill's. If Hughes does leave, unless he goes to another team with a real strong defense, I'll be shocked if he'll come close to the success he had in Buffalo.

I swear you could have taken this word for word from last year just replace Jerry with Byrd. That worked out in our favor. Let's have some faith this time. Whaley has built a defense for us and I trust him to make the right decision. I won't like seeing Jerry go but if he wants too much money I know Whaley has a budget and a plan to use that money elsewhere if Jerry goes.

How much money is tied up in the DLine already and with Marcel on the Horizon they will need to spend more. Signing Bradham soon would be nice and Kiko in a few years.

You only have so much money to spend and have it spend it wisely. They could of course attempt to sign everyone, go over the salary cap and then watch as your best players need to walk.

Take your pick? Lose one now or multiple later on due to poor cap management.

Teams that spend over the CAP don't do very well in my opinion.

Wah. Wah.

Wahhhhh ... wahhh ... wah

Wahhhhhhhhhhhh. Wah ................ wah .... whaaaaa ....

Wah. Wah.

Wah. Wah.

Wah. Wah.

Wah. Wah.

Wah. Wah.

Wah. Wah.

We get your point. Super annoying to read.....

quote name="Gugny" post="3475079" timestamp="1425352189"]

Wah. Wah.

Wah. Wah.

Wah. Wah.

Wah. Wah.

Wah. Wah.

Wah. Wah.

Wah. Wah.

Did the whole Jerry Hughes extension/tag situation really need another thread?

With that said, IMO, tagging him goes beyond his worth in a league where top pass rushers make $$$$ and therefore the tag bar is set too high for Hughes' value. Plus, IF we do shift to 3-4, then what would his role be? OLB? he wasnt very good at that. I know he played under Pettine well and served a complementary role and was well worth his roster spot, but that was when he wasnt making 11mil a year after being franchise tagged

DOOOOOOMED!

In this case, I think it's a little different. He's not the best or even the 2nd best player on our line. We swapped a sub-par linebacker for him in a great trade, it's not like he was a wasted 1st or 2nd round pick. The fact that they haven't signed him yet speaks that he wants a lot of money. The tag for a DE is $14.8M, probably $4M a year more than it's reasonable a high bidder may sign him for, it would have made no sense to tag him.

He's a good player, but there are a lot of good pass rushing players out there in FA this year. They won't all get top dollar.

I haven't regretted a couple of our players who were let walk - Byrd, Levitre (even though we needed help at guard, he has not played well in Tenn)

I'm willing to give Whaley the benefit of the doubt that a reasonable offer will be made and if someone else offers more, we will find someone of comparable quality for that reasonable money.