Lynch talks about Seattle's final offensive play in the SB

Its been a month and I still don't understand the call but for slightly different reason than conventional wisdom. I fully support that they should have given it to Lynch. However, what I really don't understand is why, with a mobile QB do you call a pass play to the exact place where the core of the defense is stacked...roll Wilson out, play action, release a FB or TE and play the corners where there is likely one on one coverage or better yet none on one...Its marginally okay to call a pass just not a slant into the teeth of the defense where you would have run. Just a total Bevell brain fart not overruled by Carroll.

Its almost as if it will come out in 20 years that Darrell Bevell and Pete Carroll had 8 figure payoffs from significant bettors with money on the Pats... (Kidding okay)...

Edited by Formerly Joe F

So now one knows how to get Lynch to open up. Speak with a Turkish accent and ask questions with a humble demeanor and hey, the man speaketh.

Lynch was pretty funny on that gaming segment with Gronk, BTW. "You need to get you one of them mushrooms".

I am the face of the nation. You know, MVP of the Super Bowl ... that's pretty much the face of the nation at that point of time.

That's pretty much it right there imo.

He gets the ball, the cost to re-sign him skyrockets. Call me cynical, but I have a hunch that this decision factored in and was made ahead of time by the organization, in general.

If so, then they may have saved a few bucks, bucks that many teams would gladly exchange for a SB. Maybe they thought that they'd win from the onset with less of a struggle.

Lynch was given ball in short situations before and not able to be punch it in BUT I think the threat of Lynch running it in needed to part of the play and I did not see that from the play call. It should have been an option play, difficult for a young player but expected if they are going to offer you a $100M+ contract next season; Wilson should have been given several good options including running ball himself if blocking left an opening, faking it to Lynch and throwing to him if he was able to break thru after fake or doing a rollout going fr corner and throwing ball to open receiver, running to sideline or throwing it away.

The coaching staff was to blame - they had a call in mind and did not anticipate a DB catching an interception even though he was obviously in zone in game.

He gets the ball, the cost to re-sign him skyrockets. Call me cynical, but I have a hunch that this decision factored in and was made ahead of time by the organization, in general.

If so, then they may have saved a few bucks, bucks that many teams would gladly exchange for a SB. Maybe they thought that they'd win from the onset with less of a struggle.

So your theory is that before the game, ownership told Carroll that if it's a close game and you need to punch it in, then pass? Seahawks ran the ball on first down, so do u think they took the chance there bc they didn't think Lynch would actually score on that play? Edited by strive_for_five_guy

So now one knows how to get Lynch to open up. Speak with a Turkish accent and ask questions with a humble demeanor and hey, the man speaketh.

Lynch was pretty funny on that gaming segment with Gronk, BTW. "You need to get you one of them mushrooms".

So much for the lame Seattle fans who claimed he had a public speaking disorder/phobia.

The coaching staff was to blame - they had a call in mind and did not anticipate a DB catching an interception even though he was obviously in zone in game.

It was definitely the coaching. Watch the play again, it was an idiotic play call. There was only one receiver anywhere outside the box and not within a handful of yards of the line-of-scrimmage.

No one in the corners, no one in the back of the end zone, only one player running a fade out to the left, I forget was it Lynch himself, but even there had the ball been thrown he would have been tackled short.

If you're going to call a pass like that, as you said, you need some options. There were none. It was pure stupidity by the coaching staff. How on earth do you get guys open when they're all bunched into a 7-yard by 10-yard rectangle all pretty much in the box. Simple, you don't.

They should have had at least one receiver in the right corner of the end zone, the player to the left should have at least crossed the goal line, and as you said, they should have used a play that would have given Wilson the option to run too as another threat.

Among the dumbest and most ignorant play calls ever. The fact that it was the Super Bowl merely highlighted that fact.

So your theory is that before the game, ownership told Carroll that if it's a close game and you need to punch it in, then pass? Seahawks ran the ball on first down, so do u think they took the chance there bc they didn't think Lynch would actually score on that play?

It's a theory.

How do you explain it? Carroll and Bevell are stupid? Do they seem stupid to you? They each have a ring and many other accolades.

I mean let's see this for what it's worth, this is the household equivalent of sticking your hand into a running garbage disposal to clear it.

See my comment above. I could fully understand if Kearse were in the back corner of the EZ and if at least one other receiver was in the EZ not within all but arm's length of a LB, but they had everyone bunched and the one player that went wide would have caught it behind the line of scrimmage.

Having Wilson scramble right (or left) with a receiver mirroring him the back of the end zone would have made infinitely more sense if they felt that they had to pass.

Is it possible for a coaching staff to be so stupid?

I still realize that this does not support that theory per se, but it definitely made me wonder if they were thinking cap for this upcoming season. Think about it, if Lynch gets the ball and scores, then he's easily SB MVP and his FA value skyrockets.

Forget about the face of America stuff, that's just Lynch being self-absorbed. I'm personally not a Lynch fan. He's good, but he's also got issues. He's also good, not great.

I'm sure you're right though. Just looking for explanations, and I'm not past that one.

U can take it 1 step further, and them not "wanting" him to be Superbowl MVP cuz how he would have handled all the crazy media... Maybe they WANTED Wilson being the MVP!

It was definitely the coaching. Watch the play again, it was an idiotic play call. There was only one receiver anywhere outside the box and not within a handful of yards of the line-of-scrimmage.

No one in the corners, no one in the back of the end zone, only one player running a fade out to the left, I forget was it Lynch himself, but even there had the ball been thrown he would have been tackled short.

If you're going to call a pass like that, as you said, you need some options. There were none. It was pure stupidity by the coaching staff. How on earth do you get guys open when they're all bunched into a 7-yard by 10-yard rectangle all pretty much in the box. Simple, you don't.

They should have had at least one receiver in the right corner of the end zone, the player to the left should have at least crossed the goal line, and as you said, they should have used a play that would have given Wilson the option to run too as another threat.

Among the dumbest and most ignorant play calls ever. The fact that it was the Super Bowl merely highlighted that fact.

It's a theory.

How do you explain it? Carroll and Bevell are stupid? Do they seem stupid to you? They each have a ring and many other accolades.

I mean let's see this for what it's worth, this is the household equivalent of sticking your hand into a running garbage disposal to clear it.

See my comment above. I could fully understand if Kearse were in the back corner of the EZ and if at least one other receiver was in the EZ not within all but arm's length of a LB, but they had everyone bunched and the one player that went wide would have caught it behind the line of scrimmage.

Having Wilson scramble right (or left) with a receiver mirroring him the back of the end zone would have made infinitely more sense if they felt that they had to pass.

Is it possible for a coaching staff to be so stupid?

I still realize that this does not support that theory per se, but it definitely made me wonder if they were thinking cap for this upcoming season. Think about it, if Lynch gets the ball and scores, then he's easily SB MVP and his FA value skyrockets.

Forget about the face of America stuff, that's just Lynch being self-absorbed. I'm personally not a Lynch fan. He's good, but he's also got issues. He's also good, not great.

I'm sure you're right though. Just looking for explanations, and I'm not past that one.

What was Beastmode's success rate this season for goal to go at the 1 or 2?

It was a dumb play call because it didn't work. If it had worked, Carroll would have been hailed as a bold and daring genius. And the probability of the play working was reasonably high.

Nonetheless, the probability of pounding Lynch up the middle a couple of times must have been higher.