Matt Cassel a Potential Target?

Zac

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Texans want him back or so they said last week.

Ryan Mallett is a unrestricted free agent. So he's free to go play wherever he pleases. Why haven't the Texans signed him yet? I know he's originally from Texas so Mallet might favor going back to Houston. It seems like Mallett is keeping his options open and will probably see where the best fit for him is. I'm hoping it's in Buffalo. Come March 10th the Bills need to be hosting Ryan Mallett.

If Mallett is out there, go get him.

Unless there's a swerve waiting to happen.

I still think if there is nothing to get, upgrade like crazy at RB to keep the opponent honest.

The problem is he's an even bigger unknown than EJ with far less playing time even though he's been in the league a lot longer. Seems like pats were never really sold on him, rumours of trying to trade him, and bringing in others. Id likely pass

The problem is he's an even bigger unknown than EJ with far less playing time even though he's been in the league a lot longer. Seems like pats were never really sold on him, rumours of trying to trade him, and bringing in others. Id likely pass

The reason the Pats were trying to trade Mallett was that he was going into the last year of his deal. With Brady still having prime yrs ahead the Pats were smart to trade Mallett before he walked out the door for nothing.

In "Collision Low Crossers", the book about Rex & the Jets, They make fun of Matt Cassel & his lack of ability.

did anyone watch Hoyer play he in 13.5 game he had 19 interceptions and should have had another dozen. We do NOT want Hoyer - also check out who they played Tenn, NO, Jax, Oak, Tampa, Atl

A good number of those were targeted to you know who, who has admitted running the wrong routes.

If this is true then the Bills are rolling with EJ Manuel as the starter. They just won't say so publicly.

They'll probably draft a development QB in the 3rd or 5th rd this year and depending on how EJ plays this year, they'll have an eye on QBs in 2016 draft/FA/trade scenarios.

I am with you on this. I am of the feeling that E.J. is not as bad as many critics claim. I have no illusions that he is the next Tom Brady either. Still I think the potential is there.

Ooh, look. Another thread about signing a middling journeyman quarterback that was rejected already by multiple teams. Why seriously is there already 2 pages for this garbage topic? Buffalo has been doing this dance for 20 years. Allow me to make the list. Kyle Orton, Thaddeus Lewis, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tyler Thigpen, Brian Brohm, Kevin Kolb, Vince Young, Kelly Holcomb, Drew Bledsoe, Doug Flutie, Alex Van Pelt, Rob Johnson, and Billy Joe Hobert. When will the stupidity stop? We see these threads over and over again about guys that weren't good enough to keep a job with the team that they're on, and yet they somehow are going to be the magic answer that brings the Lombardi. Josh McCown, Matt Moore, Nick Foles, Matt Cassell, Jake Locker, Mark Sanchez, Jimmy Clausen, etc. News flash: All of these guys were not fit to remain starters in the NFL. They're NOT going to get the Bills to the Superbowl. They might be a short term solution to get us into the playoffs, but are not a long term solution for the team. Just stop already.

Mallett>Matt Moore>Locker

Why not sign Ryan Mallet he's still young has reasonable upside can make every throw in the book including back shoulder, fades and the Deep ball. If we continue to build this oline and add a talented back or two. I believe we can compete for the division. RM stands at 6'6 weighs 240 lbs he's a big guy reminds me of Joe Flacco. He also has sat patiently since 2011 so he's developed in the pro system. When he had his chance last yr he looked pretty good on the road in his first start completing 16-20 passes for over 200yds in a win over Cleveland. If it was up to me Ryan Mallet would be my first choice

Locker>Moore>Mallet.... Should go after Locker first.

Ooh, look. Another thread about signing a middling journeyman quarterback that was rejected already by multiple teams. Why seriously is there already 2 pages for this garbage topic? Buffalo has been doing this dance for 20 years. Allow me to make the list. Kyle Orton, Thaddeus Lewis, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tyler Thigpen, Brian Brohm, Kevin Kolb, Vince Young, Kelly Holcomb, Drew Bledsoe, Doug Flutie, Alex Van Pelt, Rob Johnson, and Billy Joe Hobert. When will the stupidity stop? We see these threads over and over again about guys that weren't good enough to keep a job with the team that they're on, and yet they somehow are going to be the magic answer that brings the Lombardi. Josh McCown, Matt Moore, Nick Foles, Matt Cassell, Jake Locker, Mark Sanchez, Jimmy Clausen, etc. News flash: All of these guys were not fit to remain starters in the NFL. They're NOT going to get the Bills to the Superbowl. They might be a short term solution to get us into the playoffs, but are not a long term solution for the team. Just stop already.

We will sign a vet to come in and compete and we will likely draft another QB, Whaley has said as much. No one on this board thinks the vets available are all-pros, you're arguing with yourself here.

YfO2iZ6z_normal.jpegMike Garafolo@MikeGarafolo · 16m 16 minutes ago

So now the Bills will look elsewhere for QB help. Name to watch there is Matt Cassel, if the Vikings decide to cut or move him.

---

Has me wishing for McCown...

Really wish our FO went after Alex Smith when he was available, he's not the greatest but at least we would have a decent QB who would fit what we were/are trying to do.

Tony Romo, a potential target?

Here's my justification:

-Bills are going to make a "big splash" according to lmo (LMO).

-Bills brass wants to bring in a veteran QB.

-Dez Bryant scandal is going to force the Cowboys to start offense over from scratch

-Jerruh is ready to restart aforementioned offense with a new QB, evidence from last years speculated interests of Johnny Football.

-Romo and the Bills are kindered spirits. They both have struggles in the waning minutes of games. Together who knows what they can accomplish in the final two minutes of close games.

My theory:

Romo and the BIlls form an unstoppable winning machine.

That would be great, but who's going to play QB for Dallas? Regardless of cap issues, I can't really see any playoff team trading their QB without an adequate replacement.

Hoyer > Locker > Cassel > Sanchez.

Sanchez is . . . dumb. His only success in the NFL was in Philly, in basically a 1-read offense. And he looked okay for a couple games, but couldnt even be consistent in a simple offense. Dumb.

Hoyer is a gamer. If Cleveland doesnt want you, that's not an indictment in my book.

Locker is pedestrian. Fine.

Cassel at least has experience, in multiple systems, so he's mentally flexible. Maybe physically scrubish.

Agree with all this except I think Hoyer kinda sucks. Good backup and spot starter but tbats stretching it.