Job search dilemma

Captain Hindsight

So I recived an offer today that is a very good offer at a good company. At the same time, I interviewed for what I would say is a dream job in a national park. I thought I nailed the NP job interview but I haven't heard anything since I last spoke with them last week.

After I receivied the job offer this morning, I emailed the NP job and explained the situation and asked him to call me today. It's 615 here and the job is in Oregon so it's 315 there. He may still call but I'm sitting here debating if I should attempt to call him before the end of his workday or if that is being too pushy. My issue is the company that offered the job is meeting with me Monday afternoon to discuss the offer and will likely want an answer then

Any ideas of how to handle this?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Govt jobs can take forever sometimes.

I concur with others. Meet. Ask them for 24 hours. If the NP job doesn't get back to you, you really have to take the other job.

With any luck, you take job B ... and the NP job takes 4-5 weeks to get through the red tape crap ... and by then you'll know whether job B is worth staying.

Yea, worst case take what's on the table and split if dream job comes up later.... A real dilemma would be "I have no job offers and don't know what to do"

If you need to buy time, come into Monday's meeting with some strong questions and ask for a day to think about their answers

Govt jobs can take forever sometimes.

I concur with others. Meet. Ask them for 24 hours. If the NP job doesn't get back to you, you really have to take the other job.

With any luck, you take job B ... and the NP job takes 4-5 weeks to get through the red tape crap ... and by then you'll know whether job B is worth staying.

Its not a govt job, private company that operates in the park. Thats why I'm hoping I can get a straight answer back from them Monday

Edit: Just got an email from the guy at 1:15 (1015 there) He said he was traveling all day and will try to call tomorrow

Edited by Captain Hindsight

Its not a govt job, private company that operates in the park. Thats why I'm hoping I can get a straight answer back from them Monday

Edit: Just got an email from the guy at 1:15 (1015 there) He said he was traveling all day and will try to call tomorrow

Great. Hope it's good news.

Could end up with no job.

Yeah. I would have accepted the offer then pressed the other job until I got an answer. If you accept/leave for the other job...then you still have a job. Now that you know you're choice 2, the company that offered might not appreciate being YOUR choice 2.

Accept the first job you get offered. Doesn't mean you can't get the other.

I had a job once. Started on a Monday. The other job I had made the offer. I was first choice. That day going out the door I got the call, worked the job one day told them id finiah out the week because they really needed the help and leaderahip and started the other the next week.

Accept the first job you get offered. Doesn't mean you can't get the other.

I had a job once. Started on a Monday. The other job I had made the offer. I was first choice. That day going out the door I got the call, worked the job one day told them id finiah out the week because they really needed the help and leaderahip and started the other the next week.

You provided leader-a-hip?

So I recived an offer today that is a very good offer at a good company. At the same time, I interviewed for what I would say is a dream job in a national park. I thought I nailed the NP job interview but I haven't heard anything since I last spoke with them last week.

After I receivied the job offer this morning, I emailed the NP job and explained the situation and asked him to call me today. It's 615 here and the job is in Oregon so it's 315 there. He may still call but I'm sitting here debating if I should attempt to call him before the end of his workday or if that is being too pushy. My issue is the company that offered the job is meeting with me Monday afternoon to discuss the offer and will likely want an answer then

Any ideas of how to handle this?

Didn't you have some sort of environmental degree? This is at Denali.

https://www.usajobs.gov/Search?Keyword=denali&Location=ak&search=Search&AutoCompleteSelected=False

Could end up with no job.

Considered this. It is a real concern for me.

I'm very torn in this whole process. I really thought the company that has offered me the job was never going to contact me again. I really thought I bombed the interview. I also know for a fact that company offered the job to someone else and that person turned them down and they moved on to me. I'm second fiddle to both haha

The two jobs could not be any more different, in two totally different parts of the country, doing totally different roles.

One is management. One is grunt work. One is in an office 1 mile from where I grew up. One is in a national park on the other side of the country.

I'm very torn in this whole process. I really thought the company that has offered me the job was never going to contact me again. I really thought I bombed the interview. I also know for a fact that company offered the job to someone else and that person turned them down and they moved on to me. I'm second fiddle to both haha

The two jobs could not be any more different, in two totally different parts of the country, doing totally different roles.

One is management. One is grunt work. One is in an office 1 mile from where I grew up. One is in a national park on the other side of the country.

you're almost giving this too much thought bro. I know its a lot to weigh and you'll have regrets either way but you will Br just fine no matter what you pick.

If you get in a pinch last minute and still can't weigh it out feel free to give me a call or shoot a text. I'll help you SWAT it. That or ask beerball. He is full of wisdom.

I said it earlier and a few others echoed it- you could just say yes on Monday and if you get the call you want Tuesday let them know there was a major development and you have to back out. Just do it as respectfully and professionally as possible if you get to that bridge (even bend the truth if warranted, to remain eligible for future hire).

I would think that the first choice wants the job as much as you.

Unless other guy is chasing a different dream.

I said it earlier and a few others echoed it- you could just say yes on Monday and if you get the call you want Tuesday let them know there was a major development and you have to back out. Just do it as respectfully and professionally as possible if you get to that bridge (even bend the truth if warranted, to remain eligible for future hire).

That's the trouble I think he may have, or others for that matter in this situation.

To simply tell them what happened is easy but it could leave a sour taste. So, to you and others, how can he "bend the truth?"

If it were me I would bend it simply saying something like "On a whim I applied for a position that I thought I could never get that would take a few months of developments to land. I had ruled the position out since it had been more then 3 months but they offered me the position last night and this is truly a dream job for me. Your company and being a part of this team is something I very much looked forward to but I do not want to regret not taking an opportunity like this while I can - it is not about the money or the title, at all."

you're almost giving this too much thought bro. I know its a lot to weigh and you'll have regrets either way but you will Br just fine no matter what you pick.

If you get in a pinch last minute and still can't weigh it out feel free to give me a call or shoot a text. I'll help you SWAT it. That or ask beerball. He is full of wisdom.

us real men of the Carolinas, you know us. Can't wait to head up to Alaska to what find out what you call men up there. I wasn't impressed with those in Texas, so Alaska has long odds

Texas? :lol::lol::lol: That little state full of dust and scorpions ? Man you got a lot to learn.

Accept the job offer. If other one come through then respectfully turn down the one you accepted. If your dream job comes through then you can say yes. I would not take the chance of having no job.

A few of you have suggested I take the first offer regardless. I'm worried about the ethics of that deal. The CEO is friends with my parents so I'm worried about pulling out less than 24 hours later

The meeting tomorrow is to discuss and review the offer. I have not seen any salary info, benefits ect. to this point. We've discussed generalities but thats it. Thats why feel comfortable asking for 48 hours to review/understand it

For the other job where I will know by Tuesday, the reason I am fairly optimistic is that he called me on a Saturday morning to tell me what was up. To me that says potentially 3 things

1) They aren't entirely sure person one will take it and don't want to lose me

2) Candidate 3 is much less qualified than me, again, trying to keep me around

3) Just a nice dude doing the right thing

I know I am in a good spot. I'm two months removed from my masters degree and already have one offer and potentially another on Tuesday. I realize thats the exception, not the rule.

My biggest thing is I want to make sure I do everything in my power to go for the dream job so I can sleep well knowing I went all out. I refuse to live in constant regret because I choose to play it safe. If I lose the first offer, I can live with that know I did all I could to get the dream job.

My loans aren't due until July anyway :flirt:

Edited by Captain Hindsight

Don't let the personal relationships get in the way of what's best for you. I know it's easier said than done. I would accept the first offer and worry about backing out if it even comes up. I would tell them it's about a more lucrative offer you cant refuse that just came through. Good hiring people generally understand when it comes to money. If they don't, you probably don't want to be there anyway.

Who knows, maybe the offering company wants you bad enough to throw more money at you. It wouldn't be the first time.

Accept the job offer. If other one come through then respectfully turn down the one you accepted. If your dream job comes through then you can say yes. I would not take the chance of having no job.

This. Edited by SmokinES3

A few of you have suggested I take the first offer regardless. I'm worried about the ethics of that deal. The CEO is friends with my parents so I'm worried about pulling out less than 24 hours later

The meeting tomorrow is to discuss and review the offer. I have not seen any salary info, benefits ect. to this point. We've discussed generalities but thats it. Thats why feel comfortable asking for 48 hours to review/understand it

For the other job where I will know by Tuesday, the reason I am fairly optimistic is that he called me on a Saturday morning to tell me what was up. To me that says potentially 3 things

I know I am in a good spot. I'm two months removed from my masters degree and already have one offer and potentially another on Tuesday. I realize thats the exception, not the rule.

My biggest thing is I want to make sure I do everything in my power to go for the dream job so I can sleep well knowing I went all out. I refuse to live in constant regret because I choose to play it safe. If I lose the first offer, I can live with that know I did all I could to get the dream job.

So are you saying mom and dad got you the offer?

In each of the jobs you will be relocating. When you discuss the job offer with the first party that appears to be offering you the job tell then you are also have an offer from another party. Since so much is at stake for you let the first party know that you want to gather enough information from both jobs so that you can very shortly make a decision in a day or so.

The people doing the hiring realize that any new job that requires relocating is a big decision for anyone. So they will be more understanding than you think. Also let the first party know that you are very interested in the offer and that you will make the decision in a day or so. In that way they will know that they are not being strung along to the point that another potential candidate will be lost.

No matter what decision you make or even if the worst happens that you get neither job it is not the end of the world. You got two quality offers (maybe near offers) shortly after graduating, so you must be an appealing candidate.

The best of luck.