RUMOR: EJ Manuel Likely To Be Cut

negativo

It's very strange. I've been watching football for over forty years. I don't remember a young player with good character who has been so polarizing.

Whichever side one comes down on, the other appears irrational.

I think some people are remembering his first few decent games, in 2013, before D coordinators figured him out, and the rest

see what he has done since then and this past year, which was pretty bad?

Some posters on this board will almost always side with the player the Bills happen to have... IMO.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come one man. You know this isnt true.

I'll keep looking for some backup on that guy's claim, but how about this: The top-10 all-time rookie QB ratings has Charlie Batch at number 10 with an 83.5 rating. Manuel's rookie rating was 80.3 or not that far off of Batch...

http://vikefans.com/index.php/topic/14328-best-rookie-qb-seasons-in-nfl-history/

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/ManuEJ00.htm

Makes no sense, not sure why this is deserving of it's own post. Because a prediction the guy made once came true?

I predict that EJ won't be cut two days after FA starts. If I'm right will you make a new thread with my next prediction?

:thumbsup:

Cutting EJ would be foolish.

1) He has not really played a lot yet so we are not even sure what we have.

2) Even if he turns out not to be a starting caliber QB, one would think that he is at least good enough to compete for a starting position or to be a back up.

This does not make sense to me. I would be surprised if he gets cut.

I'll keep looking for some backup on that guy's claim, but how about this: The top-10 all-time rookie QB ratings has Charlie Batch at number 10 with an 83.5 rating. Manuel's rookie rating was 80.3 or not that far off of Batch...

http://vikefans.com/index.php/topic/14328-best-rookie-qb-seasons-in-nfl-history/

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/ManuEJ00.htm

All of that stuff is crap. its comparing guys in completely different eras to today first of all. Second, teams that draft QBs really high are often terrible terrible teams. So the Peyton Mannings, who are regarded as the best, will have bad stats their rookie year every time where a guy drafted later will walk into a much better situation. Rookie season stats are really not that telling for a guys future development, but they do show some things. All I know is that I have watched every EJ snap he has ever taken and the guy isnt getting better and he is definitely not a top 20 rookie of all time.

Edited by jletha

EJ has no trade value at all. Anyone thinking otherwise is a supporter of EJ's or an optimist that we have the answer to the QB position on the team.

I am by no means stating EJ can't become a starting caliber QB, but right now he has no history to warrant trading anything for.

<snip>

Fact: for the last 6 years or so, the majority of 1st round QBs "given up" by the drafting team during their rookie contract have had some trade value.

That would include Gabbert, Quinn, and Tebow. The exception was Brandon Weedon, at 30 years of age.

I love absolute statements that create a false dichotomy like "anyone thinking otherwise is a supporter of EJs or an optimist"

How about a student of the game? EJ has shown no less, and arguably more, than any of those 3. Nor is the QB FA market and draft any stronger than when they were traded.

So if they had trade value, why wouldn't EJ?

Note: I'm not saying high trade value. These guys didn't bring much - 4th and 6th for Tebow and a 7th, 6th for Gabbert, 6th and a player for Quinn. But yeah, they had trade value, and avoided the cap hit of cutting the guy outright.

And I'd add:

3) The Bills already have a free-agent QB [coughSanchezcough] lined up

4) Maybe a back up like McCown, too

They could do a complete revamp and get a developmental quarterback in the draft as well. This wouldn't be a bad QB depth chart:

Sanchez

McCown

Mannion

I disagree, that would be a very poor QB depth chart, IMHO.

Why are some here saying that he played "well" in Philly this year? He had a 14-11 TD/INT ratio which isn't stellar and his career ratio is 82-80 with a 204 yards/game average. That is not inspiring, but I'll grant that is better than McCown.

If they cut Manuel, it would say that he is just putrid in their opinion. I didn't see that in the 14 games he played. He had some terrible games, yes, but he also had some pretty decent games, too.

Sure, I'd trade all six of the QBs in question for one bona fide franchise QB, but that's not happening this offseason. Sanchez/McCown/Mannion (or other rookie) would be an upgrade over Orton/Manuel/Tuel. And Orton, the best of that lot, isn't even an option going forward. Right now is Manuel/Tuel making anyone happy? Sure it isn't the QB roster you want to hang your hat on longterm, but I'm not sure how the Bills could do much better in 2015. Keep this in mind: McCown's job would be to be a knowledgeable veteran who can help the starter and rookie to develop as well as spot start if needed. McCown isn't every Sunday starter material, but he is knowledgeable and can be valuable in the roles of mentor and spot starting. Right now there isn't a QB like that on the roster.

On cutting/trading Manuel, I don't know that is necessarily an indication that they think he is horrible and beyond reclamation. IMO the Bills messed up EJ's chances by starting him too soon. He still reverts back to his bad habits from FSU far too often. Maybe he can break those and acquire the right ones. I don't know. But I don't see how he does that in Buffalo unless he can show it very soon. He can't become a 3rd string developmental guy and sit for a couple years here. Somewhere other team with much less invested in him, yes, he could do that. There he's a flyer. But not here. I guess Ryan could be looking at it this way - EJ has 2 years left on his deal. If he can't turn the corner well before then, then he's gone anyway. Personally I don't see the problem with carrying Sanchez, Manuel, McCown and a rookie all the way to cut down day. A lot of what I said was presuming that EJ was on his way out, not that I was advocating for it at this time. It wouldn't be a shock though. New coach often equals new QB unless there is a stud at the position.

The Q.B. coach and coaching staff,screwed E.J. up. I saw him play against the Pats ,home opener 2 yrs ago. He looked really good . I thought we had finally found our QB. He looked good in the senior bowl also. So after his rookie year,we get a QB coach . He`s changing this and that,,making EJ think too much,before he throws. Guess what ? He regresses. These so-called guru QB genius ,have screwed up more than one QB. I say leave him alone and let him throw the damn ball. I`ve seen Big Ben , Rodgers .Farve and even old time QBs like Kosar throw the ball with out perfect footwork or releases and still tear it up. It is the Bills who are QB killers with their over coached Q.B.s . It`s still a game no matter how high tech they try to make it.

Yes, but lets flesh it out. If all the QBs are currently backup-quality (and I agree), and we are chasing them / bringing them in, there's only 2 ways to go.

We are bringing them in to backup (so why would they leave their current cushy visor-wearing gigs?), or we are bringing them in to UPGRADE the QB position. Bringing them in to possibly start.

Which in all, suggests that Whaley/Rex dont believe EJ is the "starter" because it doesnt "feel" like they are chasing McCown et al to backup. They think that other teams' backups can start here.

So either you think we are bringing in backups, or we are bringing in potential starters. WHICH IS IT?

My main point is that I think Whaley/Rex are bringing in other teams' backups because they are BETTER than what we have. And yes, they have had time to fully evaluate the QB situation.

I have no idea how one can fully evaluate the situation without having been in any practice or gameday setting with the player. Rex and Roman haven't. You'd have to think he's worthless - i.e. cannot be a backup - to let him go right now. It's asinine considering where this team has found itself with regard to injuries and otherwise.

Love how people with absolutely no inside sources bash a poster with a proven inside source because they don't like the news he reports. Same thing happened when he was reporting on Rex. <_<

Love how someone that never said that they had an inside source for the information gets their words taken advantage by some nincompoop that can't read, imo.

Edited by newcombo

I have no idea how one can fully evaluate the situation without having been in any practice or gameday setting with the player. Rex and Roman haven't. You'd have to think he's worthless - i.e. cannot be a backup - to let him go right now. It's asinine considering where this team has found itself with regard to injuries and otherwise.

right - actually cutting him wouldnt be EJ vs McCown/locker/whoever.... it would be EJ vs tuel, thad, jordan palmer, and the like.