Russell Wilson and the Seahawks negotiations (update:signed)

YoloinOhio

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Wilson's agent isn't postering I'd say "see ya!".

The Seahawks were still 4-1 in games when Wilson was under 70 in QB rating. If I'm the Seahawks, I think the bigger gamble is betting on Wilson living up to that contract and making up for losing so many great players due to cap problems the next few years.

IMO, even if they didn't get Rivers or E. Manning. The worst of the QBs available would be guys like Bradford, Kaepernick, Foles, Cutler or RGIII. Plus, you'd have two 1st round picks in your back pocket through the trade to a team like the Browns. I kind of like the idea of signing a veteran and drafting a QB for the future in 2016. The 2016 offseason QB market is going to be the best one ever IMO.

I just don't see Wilson as an elite QB who has the ability to carry a team on his back like Brees, Rodgers or Brady. Therefore I would not give him a salary that would blow up the cap for years.

I thought since posting this yesterday also, that after sleeping on it, you would have woke up and said "ahh, what was I talking about---never mind!".

The Seahawks should trade Wilson and pick up a Bradford or an RG3, perhaps--and then just draft.....another Russel Wilson in 2016?

but 14% would be too much? you can see how this reads at least a little bit like you are arbitrarily picking a percentage to support your position, right?

I just have an opinion. I'm not even sure it's fair. I just said 12% seems about right because I think over 20m now seems too much to me when you laid it out the way you did.

I thought since posting this yesterday also, that after sleeping on it, you would have woke up and said "ahh, what was I talking about---never mind!".

The Seahawks should trade Wilson and pick up a Bradford or an RG3, perhaps--and then just draft.....another Russel Wilson in 2016?

On the contrary, I thought you "he's worth it" guys would have woken up and smelled the coffee by now. In what universe is Russell Wilson worth 25 million dollars a year? It's laughable. If I'm a Seahawk fan, I'd much rather have the same top defense the next five years with a QB like RGIII or Kaepernick QBing with two extra #1s in my pocket for drafting a QB, than I would have a way over rated Russell sucking up 25 million dollars worth of cap space every season.

I think some people here have lost their minds thinking Wilson is worth that kind of money. I don't see it at all. Not only is he not as great as you think he is, he looks like a selfish punk now with that "25 million" throw down. What happened to that all about the team, good guy? LOL

If he were a free agent, I think a team like the Bills would offer him a five or six year contract worth 22 million a year with a huge chunk guaranteed in a heartbeat. Maybe more. Put him on the Bills right now, and I think we'd have a good shot at winning a couple Super Bowls during that contract, even assuming we had to give up a very good player or two due to cap considerations.

If he were a free agent, I think a team like the Bills would offer him a five or six year contract worth 22 million a year with a huge chunk guaranteed in a heartbeat. Maybe more. Put him on the Bills right now, and I think we'd have a good shot at winning a couple Super Bowls during that contract, even assuming we had to give up a very good player or two due to cap considerations.

No doubt.

i missed your post until it was quoted -- did a much better job than my cliffnotes reply at making the point i was trying to fire off quickly.

It's not to say Russel Wilson had no effect on the team but they were in the process of building a monster defense, that started when Carroll was hired, when he was drafted.

I don't think you can definitively say Wilson is elite. You just can't tell. I still think he will get his money from Seattle, it would career suicide for a GM not to let a QB who is in the top half of the league at his position.

On the contrary, I thought you "he's worth it" guys would have woken up and smelled the coffee by now. In what universe is Russell Wilson worth 25 million dollars a year? It's laughable. If I'm a Seahawk fan, I'd much rather have the same top defense the next five years with a QB like RGIII or Kaepernick QBing with two extra #1s in my pocket for drafting a QB, than I would have a way over rated Russell sucking up 25 million dollars worth of cap space every season.

I think some people here have lost their minds thinking Wilson is worth that kind of money. I don't see it at all. Not only is he not as great as you think he is, he looks like a selfish punk now with that "25 million" throw down. What happened to that all about the team, good guy? LOL

Why on earth would you give away the QB of your team (which has won a ton of games with him since his first season, went to 2 SBs and won 1 --very nearly 2) to pick up a bust like RG3 and the next huge question mark in the draft?

That could not make less sense.

Russell Wilson as "selfish punk" for saying "No matter how much I’m getting paid, whether it’s $25 million or $1.5 million. I’ll be ready to go" proves you didn't know what he actually said and that you're not serious.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Why on earth would you give away the QB of your team (which has won a ton of games with him since his first season, went to 2 SBs and won 1 --very nearly 2) to pick up a bust like RG3 and the next huge question mark in the draft?

That could not make less sense.

Russell Wilson as "selfish punk" for saying "No matter how much I’m getting paid, whether it’s $25 million or $1.5 million. I’ll be ready to go" proves you didn't know what he actually said and that you're not serious.

We've clearly got two different viewpoints regarding Wilson and what would be best for the Seahawks. I hope they pay him 25 million because I think that kind of cap hit puts them out of contention for a long time if there's big guaranteed number attached to it.

We've clearly got two different viewpoints regarding Wilson and what would be best for the Seahawks. I hope they pay him 25 million because I think that kind of cap hit puts them out of contention for a long time if there's big guaranteed number attached to it.

Agree 200%

i don't know- that's what many thought about the Ravens after Flaccos's huge deal (and argument whether he was really elite or just the most recently paid). They manage to squeak into the playoffs every year anyway. The Seahags will need to draft really well but it can be done. Edited by YoloinOhio

i don't know- that's what many thought about the Ravens after Flaccos's huge deal (and argument whether he was really elite or just the most recently paid). They manage to squeak into the playoffs every year anyway. The Seahags will need to draft really well but it can be done.

Having the best non cheating coach in the NFL helps... as well as arguable the best GM. The point with the Ravens is that they always manage to restock well and sensibly. Solid not flash FA pick ups and good drafting. The thing is the Seahawks front office is doing that very nicely too.

Edited by GunnerBill

Having the best non cheating coach in the NFL helps... as well as arguable the best GM. The point with the Ravens is that they always manage to restock well and sensibly. Solid not flash FA pick ups and good drafting. The thing is the Seahawks front office is doing that very nicely too.

When you say non cheating coach you're referring to John Harbaugh not Pete Carroll correct? Wait a minute.

If something insane were to happen and RW would land on the Bills' 2015 roster, we'd automatically become SB favorites.

damn straight. (even though RW is ranked about 15th in passing the last 2 seasons)

I post this because passing yards equates to great success to some people.

put any top 5 QB (favorites) on this roster and I believe that would e the case

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever