Russell Wilson and the Seahawks negotiations (update:signed)

YoloinOhio

Okay let's look at career stats at perhaps the greatest QB of all time, Tom Brady*.

Brady Completion % - 63.5

Wilson Completion % - 63.4

Brady TD % - 5.5

Wilson TD % - 5.8

Brady YPA - 7.4

Wilson YPA - 7.9

Brady INT % - 2.0

Wilson INT % - 2.1

Brady QB rating - 95.9

Wilson QB rating - 98.6

Wilson's numbers get even better in the playoffs. And he runs.

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay let's look at career stats at perhaps the greatest QB of all time, Tom Brady*.

Brady TD % - 5.5

Wilson TD % - 5.8

Brady YPA - 7.4

Wilson YPA - 7.9

Brady INT % - 2.0

Wilson INT % - 2.1

Brady QB rating - 95.9

Wilson QB rating - 98.6

Oh sweet jesus.

You couldn't be more wrong or sound more ridiculous. It's a shame. You missed a great SB game.

What part was wrong?

The part where Wilson didn't complete a pass until the last 5 minutes of the second half?

Or that there were a ton of 3 and outs?

1st Drive - 3 and out / Punt

2nd Drive - Moved 12 yards / Punt

3rd Drive - 3 and out / Punt

4th Drive - TD

5th Drive - TD

6th Drive - FG

7th Drive - Pats* Turnover / SEA turns into TD

8th Drive - 3 and out

9th Drive - 3 and out

10th Drive - 3 and out

11th Drive - Wilson's Big Drive

Because pulling a handful of stats to convince us RW is? is as good as? will be better than? Tom !@#$ing Brady...that's not completely absurd. Not in the slightest.

No, it's a comparison in arguably the 5 most important passing stats there are - completion %, YPA, TD %, INT %, and passer rating, that Russell Wilson is right at the top of that stuff, too, in addition to winning, playing big in big game, winning championships, and being the perfect age, and being the best runner in the game, when we are talking about being worth the money.

Brady TD % - 5.5

Wilson TD % - 5.8

Brady YPA - 7.4

Wilson YPA - 7.9

Brady INT % - 2.0

Wilson INT % - 2.1

Brady QB rating - 95.9

Wilson QB rating - 98.6

Oh come on, this is pretty disingenuous.

Russell Wilsons highest pass attempts (452) is closer to Brady's lowest (413) and that was during Brady's 14 game season. He has never attempted less than Wilsons highest pass attempts in a full season. By his 3rd year starting Brady was averaging more than 500 pass attempts a season. He was also averaging 25+ TDs and over 3500 yards. Both more than Wilson.

You can't be trying to seriously compare.

This past year, Wilsons most pass attempts, his YPA was its lowest. He threw less TDs. His TD% was his lowest and his QB rating was its lowest. He threw for his most yards to date but only 120 more on 45 more attempts. All of this with increased pass attempts.

Look, he is a good to very good QB. All anyone is questioning is if his pass attempts increase, as he asked to carry the team, can he mantain the level of play he's had when he doesn't come close to attempt what the elite QBs do? Last years performance could/can bring that into question.

Oh come on, this is pretty disingenuous.

Russell Wilsons highest pass attempts (452) is closer to Brady's lowest (413) and that was during Brady's 14 game season. He has never attempted less than Wilsons highest pass attempts in a full season. By his 3rd year starting Brady was averaging more than 500 pass attempts a season. He was also averaging 25+ TDs and over 3500 yards. Both more than Wilson.

You can't be trying to seriously compare.

This past year, Wilsons most pass attempts, his YPA was its lowest. He threw less TDs. His TD% was his lowest and his QB rating was its lowest. He threw for his most yards to date but only 120 more on 45 more attempts. All of this with increased pass attempts.

Look, he is a good to very good QB. All anyone is questioning is if his pass attempts increase, as he asked to carry the team, can he mantain the level of play he's had when he doesn't come close to attempt what the elite QBs do? Last years performance could/can bring that into question.

Lets just take last year. In the games he threw over 30 passes, he was--

24-34-258-2-1

23-36-313-2-0

20-32-199-1-1

17-35-179-0-0

20-32-178-2-0

22-37-263-2-0

20-31-339-2-0

In the three games he was under 200 yards they won two of the three.

In fact, if you put that into passer rating, his passer rating is actually better, 99.94, than the games he threw less than 30

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Lets just take last year. In the games he threw over 30 passes, he was--

24-34-258-2-1

23-36-313-2-0

20-32-199-1-1

17-35-179-0-0

20-32-178-2-0

22-37-263-2-0

20-31-339-2-0

In the three games he was under 200 yards they won two of the three.

I mean...are you seriously trying to...oh !@#$ it, never mind.

@ProFootballTalk: Russell Wilson says God spoke to him immediately after Super Bowl interception http://t.co/qlLybfEU0m

I'm just here for the comments.

He talks with the almighty quite a bit. Less than the prophets of the old testament, but more than the heretics thereafter, but presumably less than your typical homeless crazy guy I'm guessing.

"She was on tour, and I was looking at her in the mirror, and God spoke to me," Wilson told the pastor. "He said, 'I need you to lead her...[to abstinence].

I filled in the gaps and added emphasis, but I think its accurate.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/the-juice/6620153/ciara-russell-wilson-abstinence-not-having-sex

So he brings that with him where he goes--he didn't "need" a great running game--he was half of a great running game all by himself.

I don't know if I'd say that he needs it, but it sure helps. And I was more talking about how the Bills' defense wasn't done any favors by the offense, either in the passing or running game, and that even a marginal running game would have meant playoffs.

Oh that's right---you are the guy who pay him by the inch.

Can you overpay a legitimate franchise QB? That's the one guy I would "Overpay" (as opposed to a Mario, for instance)--bet you had noi problem with that).

So you would allow him to walk and let the Bills go back to what they are now?

Yeah....ok.

I'd pay the man what he's worth and what I had to, you're the one tossing an open checkbook to Wilson's agent. The parameters seem clear and obvious to anyone who looks.

As for Mario - he's a great addition to the team, but the Bills overpaid for him substantially. It is what it is at this point. A team can't do that often or they'll create unmanageable issues with their roster.

Edited by BarleyNY

I'd pay the man what he's worth and what I had to, you're the one tossing an open checkbook to Wilson's agent. The parameters seem clear and obvious to anyone who looks.

As for Mario - he's a great addition to the team, but the Bills overpaid for him substantially. It is what it is at this point. A team can't do that often or they'll create unmanageable issues with their roster.

According to who? I bet the Bills think Mario is well worth what they paid him and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Sure you can if you've got enough comparables (three years of performance data) and have a conviction that the guy can do it for another 4-6-8 years.

That's were these 'elite' QB contracts fall down in my estimation. A guy like Manning will never earn his current contract (even with the pay cut) because he was paid like he was still in his prime as a Colt. Brees may be the next guy to start down that path. Big Ben four years from now is unlikely to be the guy he was last year.

GMs are paying for past performance, since it's less risky ("hey, the fans would kill me if I didn't!") than sticking your neck out an paying for potential. And with the rigged player ownership world of the NFL, they can get away with it.

But again, in a free market non-CBA world outside of pro sports, some owner (i.e., Pegs for example) would say "I want that guy" and Wilson would be paid like BB, Rogers et al.

If there was no CBA we wouldn't be having this discussion would we? If there is no cap and you have the money you just pay the best guys the most to come play for your team the rich get strong the rest struggle..... believe me I am well aware of where that model leads... being a Brit and a Soccer fan I only have to look at our Premier League. The CBA does make you have conversations about where you spend your $$$ but it works in keeping aome semblance of competitve balance.

I fundamentally disagree with your prosition regarding what you pay for. Peyton Manning signed a huge deal when he became a Bronco are you honestly saying in his first 2 and a half years with the team he didn't earn that? Because that is what Elite Quarterback play looks like... and if you think just because the Seahawks beat Denver in the Superbowl that it somehow proves Wilson is on the same level then I don't know what to tell you. The only one of those contracts for vets that I think the team may end up regretting is Brees and that it because they paid him like an Elite Quarterback whilst taking apart the team around him.

As KTD saying I don't watch Wilson... well I do. Sky over here like showing the good teams so Seattle are on a lot. I don't see him take over games very often at all. I have seen Lynch do it and I have seen the defense do it.... but rarely Wilson. There was the one night game last year he did it in.... I want to say it was against Washington if memory serves... but he took that game over with his legs... that is not the same thing.