Do Today's Bills win a Super Bowl with heyday Jim Kelly

Put Kelly in his prime on this team, in this era NFL, with this coach, with this owner - Do the Bills win it all?

Do they win it with Kelly after the up coming draft/FA signings? My answer is, no. That tells me how far away the Bills are. They need a stud runningback, a big improvement at TE, and a whole lot better o-line. For comparison, the current defense put on the 90 Bills win the Super Bowl by 50 points.

Edited by Thrivefourfive

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an interesting dilemma.

We had individual defensive superstars on the Superbowl teams, but on the whole, our defense was not good enough and that cost us more than anything back then.

Our D now is a LOT stronger than it ever was with Bruce Smith in the lineup.

I say bring back Jimbo in his prime, keep the other pieces, and let's see what happens. I'd take those odds all day long.

Let me indulge in a little reminiscing here...

For some reason, a certain memory of a certain game always stands out in my mind from the Superbowl years.

I was out at the stadium in the early part of the season. The weather was nice. We were playing the Jets who were terrible in those years.

We scored dramatic TDs on our first three possessions, while the Jets did nothing on offense, and the score was 21-0 at the end of the first quarter. The outcome was not in doubt. Everyone in the stadium including the Jets knew that game was over. There are a lot of almost boring games in that era! I remember that well.

I still remember how Jimbo would throw the long ball. He launched the thing and it seemingly went as high as it did far....and then it would more often than not come down into the arms of one of the receivers.

We could move the ball down the field in chunks of 50 yards at a time seemingly at will in those years.

Jimbo had one hell of an arm and connected on these giant moon shot passes ALL THE TIME....

DAMNIT! We haven't had anyone like that since....

I think this current D and Jimbo in his prime would be a very interesting team.

No. Not even close. Go back and watch those 1990s teams and see all the HOF players and All Pros that were playing together. The current team doesn't have the offense or defense to win it, even with Kelly. The current D is very good but not Super Bowl-winning good. I didn't feel this strongly until I recently watched the 1992 49ers No Punt game. Those Bills teams were loaded on all three phases.

no.

Much worse O-Line nowadays. And very few veterans on Offense.

Without doubt, the O-line in the Superbowl years was fantastic.

It changed more than most people remember (the pieces were not the same for the whole run) but it was always excellent.

I will forever remember Will Wolford giving interviews after a random game back then. They were discussing what was a controversial holding call on Kent Hull which cost the Bills.

Wolford said something like: "I don't know what the ref was looking at; he must need glasses. I know what's going on out there and believe me, Kent Hull simply doesn't hold. He doesn't need to."

Wolford himself was fantastic until Indy poached him away from us!

John Davis, Jim Ritcher, House, they were all fantastic.

All we hear on the forums all the time is if you have an elite QB your going to the playoffs. If you don't, you might, but it's unlikely. What this thread is proposing is an elite QB partnered with an elite defense. New England doesn't have the WR's. They have one TE. Seattle doesn't have the WR's, they have beast and a great defense. This Bills team would roll thru people if it had Jimbo. As all these deficiencies being brought up get greatly minimized by the play of an exceptional QB

Do the Super Bowl-losing Bills teams win one or more of those games with a heyday Peyton Manning?

That would imply Peyton was either better or more clutch. I certainly don't think he was more clutch. I really don't think he was all that better either. Just played in an era a little more friendly on stats (at least for more of his career)

Edited by KzooMike