Josh McCown anybody? Update: Is a Brown...end of story.

Has anyone figured out why it has been reported that mccown was the best FA QB of the group? I know it's like trying to name the valedictorian of summer school, but what exactly are they pointing to with that assessment? Seen it from 3 guys who cover the Bills as well as national guys.

His upside is higher than any FA on the market. None of this year's FA's are capable of putting up numbers like his 2013 stint. However, every FA QB is capable of putting up numbers like his 2014 season. Don't put too much credence into the celebration from the fanbase, I'd wager half of them have never seen McCown take a snap -- they've formed their opinion of him by simply Googling his stats. He drew serious interest from multiple teams, and while our front office won't be crying in their pillow, they certainly aren't celebrating.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone figured out why it has been reported that mccown was the best FA QB of the group? I know it's like trying to name the valedictorian of summer school, but what exactly are they pointing to with that assessment? Seen it from 3 guys who cover the Bills as well as national guys.

He isn't... He is just he only one available right now... So when you are the only QB on the market of course you will be the best, unless you are bipolar and think you are two different people.

Locker is talked about as the best FA.

Edited by Beef Jerky

None of them cared to look at the other 17 years of his career but saw him have a few good games and get praise recently?

Really, if your goal is to win week 1, he's probably as good as any FA for a team with weapons. If lacking weapons (ie need the qb to create offense) he's probably not at the top and if you need/want more than a year hes not even on the list.

Edited by NoSaint

Haha. My girlfriend was getting mad at me for posting the other day. Could you imagine how mad she would be if she realized it was in a Josh McCown thread (if she had any idea who that was)????

I hate the offseason haha.

Knowing it's the bills, would she REALLY be mad? Or would she think "stupid move" "as usual" "what else to expect"

His upside is higher than any FA on the market. None of this year's FA's are capable of putting up numbers like his 2013 stint. However, every FA QB is capable of putting up numbers like his 2014 season. Don't put too much credence into the celebration from the fanbase, I'd wager half of them have never seen McCown take a snap -- they've formed their opinion of him by simply Googling his stats. He drew serious interest from multiple teams, and while our front office won't be crying in their pillow, they certainly aren't celebrating.

I have watched him occasionally the last couple years, but not much before the Bears. I form my opinion on 12 different seasons, and 7 different teams in which he wasn't considered good enough to start and often got replaced or chosen over. To me that outweighs one good season with the Bears. Especially since they didn't even see the value in how well he did for them that year, and didn't feel the need to re-sign him the next

Edited by What a Tuel

@MaryKayCabot: #browns josh Mccown deal: 3 years 14 million, up to $20 million, $6.25 fully guaranteed, year 1 $5.25 fully guaranteed.

@JasonLaCanfora: McCown ends up with same salary he would have had in Tampa, except now it's fully guaranteed, with an additional $1M in guarantees as well

@JasonLaCanfora: McCown can earn an additional $2M per year if team reaches playoffs and he hits playing time bonuses along the way.

I have watched him occasionally the last couple years, but not much before the Bears. I form my opinion on 12 different seasons, and 7 different teams in which he wasn't considered good enough to start and often got replaced or chosen over. To me that outweighs one good season with the Bears. Especially since they didn't even see the value in how well he did for them that year, and didn't feel the need to re-sign him the next

I think the Bears would have liked to resign McCown, but Tampa backed up the Brinks truck for him and the Bears didn't see the value in matching

@MaryKayCabot: #browns josh Mccown deal: 3 years 14 million, up to $20 million, $6.25 fully guaranteed, year 1 $5.25 fully guaranteed.

@JasonLaCanfora: McCown ends up with same salary he would have had in Tampa, except now it's fully guaranteed, with an additional $1M in guarantees as well

@JasonLaCanfora: McCown can earn an additional $2M per year if team reaches playoffs and he hits playing time bonuses along the way.

McCown is milking everything he can from the gullible Browns.

Oh my word...

Indeed. Add that to the fact that in Buffalo, the former 1st round pick he might compete with is currently working out, whilst in Cleveland, the former 1st round pick he will compete with is currently drying out, and it's pretty clear why the Bills lost that fight.

Do we know the Bills were in the fight to begin with? If Whaley was fighting for McCown, I'd be surprised and worried.

Do we know the Bills were in the fight to begin with? If Whaley was fighting for McCown, I'd be surprised and worried.

the rumor is the Bills were only offering a 1 year deal. So if they didn't budge (wisely) he just took the better deal for him. Not really a fight. I doubt they offered him 6.5 guaranteed for that 1 year.

Also I can tell you there are very low expectations for the browns this year from their fans/media after the meltdown last year with all the players/coaches/text gate. Not the case in B-lo. Easier for him to not look like the main reason for failure.

Edited by YoloinOhio

McCown chose the longer term, higher paying contract.

We made a run at him, just couldn't close.

Plenty of other options, this one fell through, no worries.

I believe they were offering a similar deal to Orton. 5.2 with a second year option.

IMO

the rumor is the Bills were only offering a 1 year deal. So if they didn't budge (wisely) he just took the better deal for him. Not really a fight. I doubt they offered him 6.5 guaranteed for that 1 year.

Also I can tell you there are very low expectations for the browns this year from their fans/media after the meltdown last year with all the players/coaches/text gate. Not the case in B-lo. Easier for him to not look like the main reason for failure.

source for rumor?

From comment on ESPN: "Brilliant signing by the Browns. Josh McCown brings everything the Browns desire at QB: admirable mediocrity, a Caucasian name, the willingness to throw interceptions when the team needs one, and the ability to have had a decent stretch of games two years ago. Even if it doesn't pay off this year, McCown could really find his stride in the last two years of the deal. Quarterbacks age like fine wine."

Oooooooooh

McCown chose the longer term, higher paying contract.

We made a run at him, just couldn't close.

Plenty of other options, this one fell through, no worries.

I believe they were offering a similar deal to Orton. 5.2 with a second year option.

IMO

Thanks for the info, keep it coming! Any idea on who they prefer out of the other options?

I think the Bears would have liked to resign McCown, but Tampa backed up the Brinks truck for him and the Bears didn't see the value in matching

The Bears made the choice to stick with Cutler, and they fell out of the playoff race that year, and then we're fired the next.