Mike Glennon generating buzz as Bucs trade candidate

HOUSE

I know this is a view widely held on this forum about QBs in general, but it is wrong.

It depends on what you are talking about specifically.

Specific plays and specific approaches to specific defenses filled with college (and not NFL) quality talent are arguably not that relevant to the NFL.

But a QBs core "transferrable skills" are completely relevant.

Bottom line - Did the Bills under EJ win or lose more than Glennon and the Bucs?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we like a guy with less mobility than Orton behind a bad blocking line. I stay far far far away thank you.

He's a better option than Jeff Tuel! Can Glennon skills equate to Drew Bledsoe? Both tall, strong armed, somewhat accurate QBs with limited mobility. If Glennon can be the Buffalo Bills Drew Bledsoe with our defense, then count me in. Remember Agent 91, I was all for the Bills drafting him when he came out.

well, I would argue that a 81% increase in Touchdown passes should be considered more promise. Would you agree?

When those passes depend on 10 other people who aren't constant between the 2 QB's as well as the person calling the plays and coordinating all of those people and their differences in philosophy, no. It's comparing grapefruits and bananas.

So we like a guy with less mobility than Orton behind a bad blocking line. I stay far far far away thank you.

He has more mobility than Orton. And I agree with House - Glennon may prove to be better than Tannenhill. At least, he throws a good deep ball. Just needs a little coaching. I guess the same could be said for EJ.

well, I would argue that a 81% increase in Touchdown passes should be considered more promise. Would you agree?

No, not necessarily.

What counts is the W. Second to that would be total points scored. Relying on passing yards alone is a mistake. Like wearing blinders.

Please create an EJ is a loser thread for you and your brother detractors. I promise I won't post there.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Maybe. Who has an 81% increase in TD passes?

This is where statistics get a bad rap. Glennon has thrown 29 TD passes in 19 games (1.52 TD/game). Manuel has thrown 16 TD passes in 15 games (1.066 TD/game)

If you simply divide 29 TD by 16 TD, you get 1.81, or 81% increase.

But that's not appropriate, right? We need to take the number of games into account. Otherwise we'd be taking a crap QB with a long career and saying he's as good or better than a star QB with a shorter career (George Blanda vs Jim Kelly, anyone?) When we do that, we see 1.52/1.07, which is a 42% increase - probably significant, but not as impressive as 82%, and as others have said, one must take the OL quality and the play-calling into account as well.

I think Glennon is a promising young QB. I'd be happy to have him as a Bill. But I think the Tampa GM would have to be partying with Freeman to take a late-round pick for a promising young QB given what else is on the roster, even if he plans to draft or bring in another QB and his HC is suffering from McCown blinders. Injuries, injuries....

Maybe. Who has an 81% increase in TD passes?

This is where statistics get a bad rap. Glennon has thrown 29 TD passes in 19 games (1.52 TD/game). Manuel has thrown 16 TD passes in 15 games (1.066 TD/game)

If you simply divide 29 TD by 16 TD, you get 1.81, or 81% increase.

But that's not appropriate, right? We need to take the number of games into account. Otherwise we'd be taking a crap QB with a long career and saying he's as good or better than a star QB with a shorter career (George Blanda vs Jim Kelly, anyone?) When we do that, we see 1.52/1.07, which is a 42% increase - probably significant, but not as impressive as 82%, and as others have said, one must take the OL quality and the play-calling into account as well.

I think Glennon is a promising young QB. I'd be happy to have him as a Bill. But I think the Tampa GM would have to be partying with Freeman to take a late-round pick for a promising young QB given what else is on the roster, even if he plans to draft or bring in another QB and his HC is suffering from McCown blinders. Injuries, injuries....

I think his tights are a bit too tight and it has messed with his thinking.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS. - W. C. Fields

I want EJ to get a fair shot. EJ was our draft pick, and I like the kid--he has all the tools, just needs to put it together.

That being said. I think Glennon would be the best guy to bring in for competition. Let the cream rise to the top. I would not be surprised at all if that was EJ.

He's a better option than Jeff Tuel! Can Glennon skills equate to Drew Bledsoe? Both tall, strong armed, somewhat accurate QBs with limited mobility. If Glennon can be the Buffalo Bills Drew Bledsoe with our defense, then count me in. Remember Agent 91, I was all for the Bills drafting him when he came out.

As soon as i saw this thread i was looking for your post.

He has more mobility than Orton. And I agree with House - Glennon may prove to be better than Tannenhill. At least, he throws a good deep ball. Just needs a little coaching. I guess the same could be said for EJ.

I honestly see no mobility. But who knows. Orton may or not have made it in as soon as he got his check. I wouldnt be comfortable with glennon movement skill behind this line

• 2 weeks later...