New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

During the game Sunday, Brady threw a pass to Vereen down the left sideline and the ball flight looked weird to me. I told my buddy I thought that throw looked weird, so I think it's kind of funny this came out after the game. Were the underinflated ball the cause of the lopsided victory? No, most likely not, but every little bit helps. It makes you wonder what else they do. I think it's a fair question to ask when the organization has a history of cheating.

I read the Spygate book a couple years ago ever since I've been saying I think the Patriots are still cheating. If you look at their performance over the last decade from a purely statistical point of view, what they've accomplished is near impossible. The NFL has never seen anything like it. Not even before the cap and free agency. How have they done so well with many no name players? How can they have a winning season without even having an offensive coordinator? Are they still using radio communication beyond what the NFL allows? Why did Peyton Manning refuse to discuss plays in the locker room because he thought someone was listening?

Maybe there's nothing there and it turns out Brady and the Hoodie are the greatest ever, and I'm just jealous. There's just too many unanswered questions for me to just blindly believe they are that great.

Hoodie's not "greatest ever." He was still mediocre in Cleveland.

Makes you wonder, though...did he realize, after his Cleveland experience, that he can only win by cheating?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://deadspin.com/aaron-rodgers-likes-to-tamper-with-footballs-too-1680676328

aaron rodgers likes to overinflate balls according to this.... doesnt make it ok, but might put into perspective if this is a level 10 freak out situation, or something that is commonplace. im not saying it makes it ok for them to disregard rules (if they did), but simply that this might not be uncommon, and that the nfl has a minor penalty and lets teams do what they want with them even after inspection suggests that its probably not considered a major infraction by the league or teams.

Compared to second helmet radios , taping walk thrus and spying on closed practices the under inflation seems akin to a petty traffic violation . But still a competitive advantage violation that dishonors anyone that does it.

it shines the light upon a steaming turd that is still trying to fix games instead of playing them . Alone, the charge has some merit because it is cheating considering the severity of the weather and would be very relevant if this was a close game .

My point is that we shouldn't have to talk about this bush league crap in an afc championship game . Also ,a playoff game shouldn't be decided on the abilty of the refs to announce an eligible player ,it should be listed on the scoreboard with the correct number or they replay the down much like how they would respond to a game clock malfunction . All of this seems to come under the heading of if losing break glass which seems more suited to a regular season game not a playoff game that used to be about great plays not greatest scams of all time.

I would love to believe the pats aren't cheating but I just don't believe it anymore since the abilty to catch them is harder than testing for performance enhancers . It isn't whining if you catch a cheat with aces up his sleeve .. The footballs seem to be that evidence which then begs the question . What about all the other much more serious accusations that if true would make it impossible to defend against a team that new your play or exactly when you call a blitz.

"Faulk says the Rams installed new plays for the game against the Patriots, and that the Faulk says the Rams installed new plays for the game against the Patriots, and that the Patriots seemed to be so perfectly prepared for them that Faulk believes they must have used espionage.

Patriots seemed to be so perfectly prepared for them that Faulk believes they must have used espionage."

ntil these loopholes are closed the game isn't footbsll .. It's is just a bored/board game played by geeks .B word if you want but this thread should embarrass the patriots and the hoodturd not the people that rely on the league to enforce their rules and in addition the spirit if those rules . We sll may find cool ways to cheat on our taxes but applauding a dude who cheats us out of a real game is beyond ridiculous.

The fact that the hoodturd forces me to talk about this childish crsp instead of reading about a good game is idiotic. This isn't about buff. Wouldn't you feel burned if you found out the domination of the colts was because the pats knew all the plays?

Whether the balls were inflated properly likely had no bearing on the game. The Colts suck, they didn't need any extra to beat those guys.

Its just amazing to me that once again, the Patriots has some sort of controversy surrounding them. The run they have been on is unbelievable. As in I literally don't believe it.

In 30 years some intern will write a book about everything that went on and Belicheats wins will be vacated

Compared to second helmet radios , taping walk thrus and spying on closed practices the under inflation seems akin to a petty traffic violation . But still a competitive advantage violation that dishonors anyone that does it.

it shines the light upon a steaming turd that is still trying to fix games instead of playing them . Alone, the charge has some merit because it is cheating considering the severity of the weather and would be very relevant if this was a close game .

My point is that we shouldn't have to talk about this bush league crap in an afc championship game . Also ,a playoff game shouldn't be decided on the abilty of the refs to announce an eligible player ,it should be listed on the scoreboard with the correct number or they replay the down much like how they would respond to a game clock malfunction . All of this seems to come under the heading of if losing break glass which seems more suited to a regular season game not a playoff game that used to be about great plays not greatest scams of all time.

I would love to believe the pats aren't cheating but I just don't believe it anymore since the abilty to catch them is harder than testing for performance enhancers . It isn't whining if you catch a cheat with aces up his sleeve .. The footballs seem to be that evidence which then begs the question . What about all the other much more serious accusations that if true would make it impossible to defend against a team that new your play or exactly when you call a blitz.

"Faulk says the Rams installed new plays for the game against the Patriots, and that the Faulk says the Rams installed new plays for the game against the Patriots, and that the Patriots seemed to be so perfectly prepared for them that Faulk believes they must have used espionage.

Patriots seemed to be so perfectly prepared for them that Faulk believes they must have used espionage."

ntil these loopholes are closed the game isn't footbsll .. It's is just a bored/board game played by geeks .B word if you want but this thread should embarrass the patriots and the hoodturd not the people that rely on the league to enforce their rules and in addition the spirit if those rules . We sll may find cool ways to cheat on our taxes but applauding a dude who cheats us out of a real game is beyond ridiculous.

The fact that the hoodturd forces me to talk about this childish crsp instead of reading about a good game is idiotic. This isn't about buff. Wouldn't you feel burned if you found out the domination of the colts was because the pats knew all the plays?

No shortage of people ready to carry Belichick's water. Why wouldn't he cheat? If he's caught, the league doesn't care and people fall over each other defending him.

alot of other teams and players seem to escape the vitriol

too many players to mention using PED's and teams ignoring it's use. cushing, kevin and pat williams, rodney harrison, shawne merriman

Miami cheated when Zack Thomas told the world that they had the patriots' audibles on tapes

seattle pumping extra fan noise through PA system

Chargers used a banned sticky substance.

NY Jets eric mangini filming patriots

pit coach tomlin entered field of play and prevented a TD

NY jets coaches tripping gunners on punt returns

aaron rodgers over inflates his balls

peyton manning lied about the extent of his recent injury

greg williams on several teams with bounty gate and drew brees pretended he knew nothing about it....twice.

ben rothlisberger allegations

minnesota love boat scandal

brett farve sending jenn sterger pictures of his lil brett

green bay packer greats Paul Hornung and Alex Karras suspended for betting on games

eddie debartolo cap violations during super bowl years and extortion scandal

ravens handling of ray rice

ray lewis double murder

michael vick dog fighting

philly peeping tom on cheerleaders

bill romanowski antics

just to name a few

alot of other teams and players seem to escape the vitriol

too many players to mention using PED's and teams ignoring it's use. cushing, kevin and pat williams, rodney harrison, shawne merriman

Miami cheated when Zack Thomas told the world that they had the patriots' audibles on tapes

seattle pumping extra fan noise through PA system

Chargers used a banned sticky substance.

NY Jets eric mangini filming patriots

pit coach tomlin entered field of play and prevented a TD

NY jets coaches tripping gunners on punt returns

aaron rodgers over inflates his balls

peyton manning lied about the extent of his recent injury

greg williams on several teams with bounty gate and drew brees pretended he knew nothing about it....twice.

ben rothlisberger allegations

minnesota love boat scandal

brett farve sending jenn sterger pictures of his lil brett

green bay packer greats Paul Hornung and Alex Karras suspended for betting on games

eddie debartolo cap violations during super bowl years and extortion scandal

ravens handling of ray rice

ray lewis double murder

michael vick dog fighting

philly peeping tom on cheerleaders

bill romanowski antics

just to name a few

That argument seriously , it never occurred to me before pats to film signals and add radio beyond 15 seconds to helmets which seem as tamper proof as voting machines

.. None are systematic abusers or even close to turdhood. Not even close . Maybe Mangini .. Isn't that learned behavior .. Nice try .. This isn't about us other than we are stupid if we don't learn from pats modus operandi.

So I only have one question to pats apologists or the inherently reasonable .

Don't you think if pats are slapped down the rampant cheating will be cut back in this arms race?

Do you want to see football or just the spectacle of spy vs spy? It truly us a choice between one or the other.

Too much.

My bad. Was meant to be more of a parody of the "IN" trend around here lately... guess I should've been more clear about that.

indeed.

You forgot to capitalize the first two letters...

Edited by devldog131

Do you want to see football or just the spectacle of spy vs spy? It truly us a choice between one or the other.

This is why I hate to see all of the technology encroach into a non technology sport such as football. I hate to think that teams employ people to jam signals, decrypt transmissions, plant bugs in the opposing teams locker room, etc.

Why is the whole radio helmet thing needed anyway? To get plays in? Get better signals. Or do as Tom Landry used to and substitute a player carrying in the play. Or, heaven forbid, let the QB call his own plays.

You did forget one cheater though: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5855075 Apple doesn't fall far from the tree ...

My bad. Was meant to be more of a parody of the "IN" trend around here lately... guess I should've been more clear about that.

You forgot to capitalize the first two letters...

I don't play that game ... because ... IT'S IN MY BLOOD!!!!!!!!!!

Considering the amount of PED's that are used throughout the league, all this "holier than thou" whining is ridiculous. Rules that impact the play much greater, are being violated by every team.

This whining is unbecoming, and a sure indicator of loser fans.

I think ones position on that depends on whether they see PED use as an individual action or an organizational effort to get a leg up.

Don't you think if pats are slapped down the rampant cheating will be cut back in this arms race?

i want the pats or any team to be hit hard if they violate rules (more than financially) with loss of draft picks, players or coaches suspended.

we can argue all day on the proper severity of punishment for breaking rules.

i do not think most teams will be deterred or stop testing the limits of what they can get away with or use to their advantage, no matter who previously was slapped down (see nascar).

i'm only wasting time in this thread to say we have no idea if the pats intentionally deflated one or more balls, yet they are presumed guilty by most in here all because of spy gate, which is a stupid rule in the first place, that many teams were violating (doesn't make it right). stealing signs is NOT prohibited. i can have coaches and lip readers stealing signs and make a written record in a journal to be used immediately to my advantage once i crack their signal code. i can view hundreds of still photos during live games and use this info to my advantage. i just can't video tape it.....dumb rule.

Edited by papazoid

i want the pats or any team to be hit hard if they violate rules (more than financially) with loss of draft picks, players or coaches suspended.

i can have coaches and lip readers stealing signs and make a written record in a journal to be used immediately to my advantage once i crack their signal code. i can view hundreds of still photos during live games and use this info to my advantage. i just can't video tape it.....dumb rule.

The NFL has about 6,000,000 dumb rules.

i'm only wasting time in this thread to say we have no idea if the pats intentionally deflated one or more balls, yet they are presumed guilty by most in here all because of spy gate, which is a stupid rule in the first place, that many teams were violating (doesn't make it right). stealing signs is NOT prohibited. i can have coaches and lip readers stealing signs and make a written record in a journal to be used immediately to my advantage once i crack their signal code. i can view hundreds of still photos during live games and use this info to my advantage. i just can't video tape it.....dumb rule.

Good thing the Pats merely misunderstood a vague rule that the league has of what constitutes the legal stealing of opponents signals, a process like you say, that has been going on since the dawn of football.

Could you imagine the hatred if they really did cheat, like say the Niners and Broncos, when they "accounted" their way to some really nice salary benefits in order to retain the services of key players that helped them to their respective super bowl titles. :rolleyes: