Bills fire pro personnel director

FluffHead

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Monos was the Director of pro personnel? The way that Whaley talked last offseason if it was a pro personnel issue then the structure was Monos reporting to Whaley and if it was a college issue then Fisher reported to Whaley. Where did this Gibbons chap fit in? Might he have been already sidleined it is just now they felt that they could ditch him?

Monos is Director of Player Personnel. Described upthread and varies from team to team but in some cases it is akin to an Asst GM. He will likely be in conversation for a GM job at some point if the Bills have some success.

He may be in charge of all the scouts (college and pro) and presenting recommendations to the For the draft and FA signings.

Varies from team to team but Fisher probably runs the draft board.

Monos is Director of Player Personnel. Described upthread and varies from team to team but in some cases it is akin to an Asst GM. He will likely be in conversation for a GM job at some point if the Bills have some success.

He may be in charge of all the scouts (college and pro) and presenting recommendations to the For the draft and FA signings.

Varies from team to team but Fisher probably runs the draft board.

Ok. Makes sense. So this Gibbons fella reported to Monos? I like Monos strikes me as a bright guy.

Ok. Makes sense. So this Gibbons fella reported to Monos? I like Monos strikes me as a bright guy.

someone like K-9 or Kirby probably knows the exact hierarchy at OBD. But he probably reported to either Monos, or possibly depending on his exact role, direct to Whaley.

It seems like every FO is different. Not every FO has the same titles in place, some have more scouts and fewer directors, and the titles don't always equate to the same responsibilities across the board. This can affect hierarchical consistency.

Monos is Director of Player Personnel.

Do the players call him "The Hands of Fate?"

Wondering if he differed on Rex's opinion on EJ?

Gibbons: "he's got legs.......and he knows how to use them"

Wasn't so much the difference of opinion as much as it was hitting Rex in the head when he spun his guitar.

Shouldn't the dismissal of Gibbons be illegal in the wake of the court ruling in US vs. Fishbine?

It's an obscure ruling, but a very important one to me...and presumably Gibbons.

Was he wearing another man's suit?

Three pages of wise cracks, not a single comment worth reading after the first two or three. Pro personnel pickups were one of the few bright spots of the Bills administration--Carpenter, Hogan, Gray, Thigpen, Dixon, Graham, Rambo, and of course Orton...they all contributed a lot. For all we know even Williams (the WR) might have been a great pickup ignored by our idiot head coach. So this looks like a truly dumb move on its face.

One of the most depressing features of the Bills is their tendency to replace what is working fine. I hope this isn't a case of the same.

So, the Bills fired the man who helped bring in guys like K Dan Carpenter in 2013, and other NFL free agent signings. Yet, the Bills still retain the same college scouting staff.

"Tom Gibbons was fired by the Buffalo Bills on Wednesday. He had served as Buffalo's Director of Pro Personnel since 2011. Gibbons played a part in signing MarQueis Gray, Bacarri Rambo and Marcus Thigpen late in the season."

http://buf.scout.com/story/1504601-buffalo-bills-fire-tom-gibbons

Not sure why everyone seems so happy about this move. Perhaps he is getting thrown under the bus for WR Mike Williams, RB Bryce Brown moves?

So, the Bills fired the man who helped bring in guys like K Dan Carpenter in 2013, and other NFL free agent signings. Yet, the Bills still retain the same college scouting staff.

"Tom Gibbons was fired by the Buffalo Bills on Wednesday. He had served as Buffalo's Director of Pro Personnel since 2011. Gibbons played a part in signing MarQueis Gray, Bacarri Rambo and Marcus Thigpen late in the season."

Not sure why everyone seems so happy about this move. Perhaps he is getting thrown under the bus for WR Mike Williams, RB Bryce Brown moves?

i wouldn't say "happy" is the term I'd use to describe my reaction as much as "indifference." He "played a part" in those signings as much as the rest. Most likely he was not the one wholly responsible for any of them. They will be fine.

I find it odd when I read people either the Bills to fire people or praise the firing of the firing of older guys (which I prefer to view as experienced) without even knowing whether a guy has done a good job or bad job.

Just my two cents.

I find it odd when I read people either the Bills to fire people or praise the firing of the firing of older guys (which I prefer to view as experienced) without even knowing whether a guy has done a good job or bad job.

Just my two cents.

The good or bad is all that counts. I also like experience and wisdom, but it doesn't make you good. Hope they did the right thing.

The good or bad is all that counts. I also like experience and wisdom, but it doesn't make you good. Hope they did the right thing.

True.

Was anyone on this board familiar with this guy (or had ever heard of him) before this week to even have an independent opinion?

True.

Was anyone on this board familiar with this guy (or had ever heard of him) before this week to even have an independent opinion?

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Tom-Gibbons-Press-Conference/6d26408e-718d-4626-bf28-b6fa0a2ad19f

Gibbons was originally brought in by Bill Polian back in the early 90s. My take is that his 'eye' for talent (based on what Buddy Nix and before that, John Butler liked) was different that the type of player Whaley likes. I also get the sense that Whaley wants to build a staff of his own guys, which makes sense (like a HC that wants to pick his own assistants).

Gibbons is from Dunkirk, so this must have been a dream job for him. He should land on his feet somewhere, so a tip of the hat for the long-term service...

There's always some degree of throwing people under the bus. Its just another falling domino. Whaley continues to replace the people Buddy Nix brought in just as Buddy had replaced the staff Donahoe and Modrak had assembled.

I don't think anyone can say the Bills have done well with their pro personnel decisions over the last 16 years. Rather terrible overall except the last two. Surely only a portion perhaps a small portion of that is Gibbons. But it's a terrible record. It's impossible to believe that overall he was responsible for a lot of good choices and wasn't responsible for a lot of poor ones and they just decided to let him go.

Nada. Bill Polian gave Gibbons his first job in the NFL. No way he'd ever say anything bad about him...

I don't buy that, if the guy that gave me my start wanted to come back to my company--I would not want him. I like him, I have nothing against him--but he is a micro-manager and I would not want anything to do with him in an employment setting again.

I think Nix looked at potential players a bit differently than Whaley does.

Not sure what that means exactly, but Doug is running the show now, and he's assembling his team, and he has his HC to coach them. It looks like Rex has free reign to bring in whomever he wants to add to his staff.

On the surface it's a great pairing: Doug gets the guys. Rex coaches the guys Doug gets.

I don't think anyone can say the Bills have done well with their pro personnel decisions over the last 16 years. Rather terrible overall except the last two. Surely only a portion perhaps a small portion of that is Gibbons. But it's a terrible record. It's impossible to believe that overall he was responsible for a lot of good choices and wasn't responsible for a lot of poor ones and they just decided to let him go.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81fd1e69/printable/lack-of-homegrown-talent-spurs-bills-to-overhaul-front-office

More likely, that track record falls on Tom (I don't live in Buffalo) Modrak, Since Gibbons re-uped in 2011, the last couple of years are on him and Whaley...

Edited by Lurker