Can we all stop pretending that Marrone quit?

ShipUPride

Eh, so if those reports are accurate, it's as if he was going to give her the ring, then she started to go power crazy and say this is where we're gonna live, this is how many kids were having, this is how we're going to raise them. That's when Terry realized he had to reassess the situation and Doug walked.

Meanwhile, as Bills fans, we're Terry's best friend essentially looking out for his best interest at all times. Most of us think the ex GF was crazy and see that he's much happier now and want to see her life suck.

LOL! Yeah, more or less. I agree with this take!

I have been waiting for this discussion to crop up.

Mike Schopp (everyone's favorite local radio host) actually suggested this on-air a few days ago, and it was the first time I heard it publicly suggested.

Of course this is 100% conjecture on everyone's part.

The bottom line is it is highly unlikely Marrone was fired, but as part of some ruse designed to make it look like Marrone resigned.

First, what would Pegula's incentive be to do that? Why not just fire the guy?

What would Marrone's incentive be to do the same? Well, he would have an incentive: it would allow him to be fired while telling the world "he resigned to pursue other options" which makes him look a bit better than getting canned.

But all the benefit would go to Marrone in this scenario. So how do you shift some incentive/benefit back to Pegula to play along?

He strikes a deal with Marrone. If Marrone is straight up fired, it costs $8 million. If he "resigns" it costs $4 million. He is in reality being fired (benefits Pegula) but the world will be told he resigned (benefits Marrone) and they split the difference, meaning Marrone is paid $6 million and not $4 or $8 million to walk away.

That's about as good as an explanation as I can come up with, which really makes no sense. Pegula wouldn't need to play these types of games to save a few million, which he will never miss from the spare change coffee can anyway. And he really shouldn't be that concerned with selling a fire as a resignation.

My conclusion: Marrone's representation badly handled this and advised Marrone poorly. They had what's his name in the press (represented by same agent) leak this business of the 3 day opt out provision.

This was designed to test the waters.

They then obviously either got bad information suggesting Marrone had hot leads to be the HC elsewhere, or, Marrone ruined it all when he bad-mouthed the Bills to Polian, and then Polian, not liking the approach, ratted him out to the NFL at large, thus black listing Marrone.

It's also possible other franchises were telling the agent "we have strong interest in your client" (Marrone) and they actually did...at the time. They then entered the interview process and decided to go in other directions, for whatever reason.

Overall, I say Marrone resigned, he was not fired.

I also say he will have trouble getting a HC job in the NFL ever again.

In reality, in this league quitting is far worse than getting fired. Coaches get fired all the time. Very few quit.

One of the first things Ryan said was that the team and fans deserve a loyal coach. That doesn't sound like a line from an organization that smoothly moved a coach out.

And as others observed, why would Marrone agree to walk away with $4 million when he was contractually due $8 million?

The simple answer is sometimes the best one. The Saint probably thought his market worth was much higher than what it was.

I mentioned this in the shoutbox earlier this week- my brother's friend sat right next to Doug Marrone on a SW flight from Phoenix to Buffalo on Tuesday (the same day he interviewed for the Bears job). Marrone talked pretty openly about the whole situation and was pretty candid about kicking himself a bit for quitting. So this is definitely not the case. In fact he said the main reason he quit is because he was unclear about and could not get an answer as to who his boss was going to be going forward.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I have no doubt Marrone was filled with fear of the unknown, did not know how things would play out going forward, and further, assumed it would not go well in 2015.

His agent used a fellow client and stooge in the press to put out nationwide feelers, and they must have been getting some interesting feedback suggesting Marrone would land on his feet elsewhere.

So he quit. And then the feedback proved to be false or went from being valid to invalid as the situation continued to unfold.

In reality, in this league quitting is far worse than getting fired. Coaches get fired all the time. Very few quit.

One of the first things Ryan said was that the team and fans deserve a loyal coach. That doesn't sound like a line from an organization that smoothly moved a coach out.

And as others observed, why would Marrone agree to walk away with $4 million when he was contractually due $8 million?

The simple answer is sometimes the best one. The Saint probably thought his market worth was much higher than what it was.

I agree it is highly rare for a coach to quit in the NFL; I don't necessarily agree that this is viewed as being worse than being fired. It is a gray area that admittedly doesn't look super good relative to Marrone.

However, if properly handled, I think Marrone could have sold a resignation in a convincing fashion that made Marrone look OK to a prospective employer. The 3 day opt out provision was there for a reason, given the uncertainty in ownership. Ownership in fact changed; things became chaotic; a clear plan moving forward was not expressed nor did one emerge over time; Marrone concluded the best thing for his career was to move to a new team, knowing the Bills were in good hands with Schwartz or something like this.

I think he could have spun it into a fairly reasonable course of action, and not as a back-stabbing quitter who threw his own organization under the bus.

It obviously didn't play out that way though! We know that much!

I for one was fully drinking the Marrone koolaid and was shocked he quit on the Bills and yes I believe he quit thinking he could back to his NYC roots to be the Jets HC..yet a funny thing about quitters.. Word gets around in the incestuous coaching ranks of the NFL..to Coach Marrone I wish you all the luck in becoming the O coordinator for some Division 1 college program since you showed your strong social media skills by quitting via texting..Go Bills!

Since we are speculating, I say Marrone tried a power play for more control over everything. I think he thought he would succeed because of his discussions with Polian. The Pegula's probably reflected and thought "been there, done that." and said no, sorry. I don't think the Pegula's thought the decision would cost them Polian's services. Marrone decided if he couldn't have it his way he would leave.

Going forward, I like that Brandon, Whaley and Ryan all report to Pegula. It puts him in a better position to evaluate each of them and handle the conflicts that will inevitably occur.

Terry was talking nice about Doug in the press conference due to the fact he did not want any legal issues with Marrone

placing blame on the Bills for his failure to land HC job.

Marrone was loyal to Hackett

Pegula showed Hackett the door but he was blocked by Doug Marrone's BIG HEAD.

Hackett panicked then jumped thru the window to his death.

Doug Marrone then turned in his keys, he can't re-enter without keys No keys -no job!

Doug didn't quit, the security guard won't let him in............Its all very simple :flirt:

Edited by HOUSE

I for one was fully drinking the Marrone koolaid and was shocked he quit on the Bills and yes I believe he quit thinking he could back to his NYC roots to be the Jets HC..yet a funny thing about quitters.. Word gets around in the incestuous coaching ranks of the NFL..to Coach Marrone I wish you all the luck in becoming the O coordinator for some Division 1 college program since you showed your strong social media skills by quitting via texting..Go Bills!

Really?

I think it's pretty clear that Terry wrote him a 4 million dollar check and showed Doug the door.

To be polite they let him "quit".

I absolutely agree. I thought this a day after processing the Marrone Option decision.

---

Terry: Doug, season's over and I'm going to allow you exercise that option that you had to have in your contract. (We're done.)

Doug: Huh? What option? Oh....that. No problem. Thanks for that. I'll get another job. (Oh no...what do I do...? Jests. Yeah, my hometown. And they're dumb. I can control the entire organization!! After all, Woody let that Dope defensive coordinator, Rex Ryan, coach over there. Waita they getta load a me.)

TP: Good. It looks like we have an understanding.

DM: Yes sir.

TP: Good luck (said like Taken).

Edited by Thrivefourfive

so we have all been having fun with Marrone.

And its good fun too.

But i might suggest it just came down to Pegulas saying one more year to prove it before we let you cash in.

It got a little heated so Doug tried to find if he had any leverage and asked for the staff to be extended.

I think the Pegulas made the decision not to be played. Gave him the offer to show them he had the long term plan and the Bills best interests at heart. When he faltered. Pegulas and Marrone knew the jig was up.

And as KtD has mentioned.

i can thinks any damned thing i want. and thats what i think.

Marrone got gently spanked and instead of going to his room he left home.

I really wonder how Hackett will fair though. i did like the kid honestly