Rex Ryan Press Conference

moshermw

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have no problem giving credit where it's due, the emphasis upon establishing a Running Game is to be commended. Not enough good can be said for ball control/game management. Something obviously missing with his formerly coached team at 4-12.

Along with talent, you mean?

I don't think it was the place to ask about Marrone, but I am surprised no one followed up on the Polian "Blown out of proportion" comment.

I forgot about that part - Pegula threw that out there without being prodded. He also mentioned "no dysfunction" regarding the coaching search in an obvious dig at Jerry Sullivan in his column from last week. I think those two statements made some questions outside the standard "new coach" questions fair game.

Along with talent, you mean?

Prior to the 2013 season, most considered the Jets to have less talent than any team in the league, but somehow managed to go 8-8. This past year, the did make some additions with free agents and trade, but by all accounts had a terrible draft. It seems the lack of talent caught up with them.

I forgot about that part - Pegula threw that out there without being prodded. He also mentioned "no dysfunction" regarding the coaching search in an obvious dig at Jerry Sullivan in his column from last week. I think those two statements made some questions outside the standard "new coach" questions fair game.

This is a good example of Sully pushing a narrative. He wrote an article stating that they were over their head in their coaching search last week. This is about a year or so after writing a column suggesting that TP's wealth was lucky.

In the end, the Bills (in my opinion) got the best HC for the Buffalo Bills.

The other dig at Saint Doug, whether it was intentional or not, was he was talking about are we going to be a power running team, and he said "Yes, we are, but we're going to pass, too. We have Sammy Watkins! Who wouldn't pass the ball to Sammy Watkins?!"

To be fair, Saint Doug did want to pass the ball to Sammy Watkins, when he was injured, in a meaningless preseason game.

Every time the mike got passed to Pegula (or Whaley or Brandon) all the life got sucked out of the room. Such a contrast in charisma between Rex and those other 3 up there, made you wonder how Rex could have gotten all excited about the job as he claimed, after being in the same room with those three sucking the oxygen out of it. All I could think was what that night at Pegula's must have been for Rex - maybe Kim added some personality to the proceedings.

Prior to the 2013 season, most considered the Jets to have less talent than any team in the league, but somehow managed to go 8-8. This past year, the did make some additions with free agents and trade, but by all accounts had a terrible draft. It seems the lack of talent caught up with them.

2013 was the season in which I earned new respect for Rex. Prior to the start of the season I looked at that roster and predicted 3-4 wins. It was terrible. For him to get 8-8 out of that group, with the human turnover machine Geno at QB, was nothing short of astounding.

Every time the mike got passed to Pegula (or Whaley or Brandon) all the life got sucked out of the room. Such a contrast in charisma between Rex and those other 3 up there, made you wonder how Rex could have gotten all excited about the job as he claimed, after being in the same room with those three sucking the oxygen out of it. All I could think was what that night at Pegula's must have been for Rex - maybe Kim added some personality to the proceedings.

i don't think whaley spoke.

pegula is clumsy. but lovable.

russ is almost to polished/company line speak/not sincere.

rex is great !

John Fox was a .500 coach until he hooked up with Manning.

Rex was a .500 coach was Sanchez, Geno and Vick - and a terrible FO.

I'm not saying Fox is a bad coach. I just don't think the record is clear that he's a better coach.

Rex was coaching a major market team that was third in the league in unspent salary cap dollars behind the Jaguars and Browns they have NY dollars and are spending with the Jags and Browns, come on Vince Lombardi would have a hard time winning in that circumstance.

My top five Rex quotes from the PC:

#5 -- "you deserve a loyal coach"

#4 -- "we will build a bully"

#3 -- "the OL is my pride and joy"

#2 -- "we will be a nightmare to play"

#1 -- "I still want the Patriots* most"

Top five takeaways:

#5 -- huge vote of confidence for Whaley (so happy about this)

#4 -- Donnie Henderson stayin'

#3 -- Brandon in charge of "budgets" (the new Overdorf/Littman?)

#2 -- all options open at QB but not giving up on EJ

#1 -- the Bills will truly be a "family" again