More important Press Conference to you....Ryan or Roman?

BADOLBILZ

I know a lot of folks are waiting to see what Rex is wearing etc.. but I want to hear what Roman says he is going to do with this offense.

I am not real thrilled with this OC hire because I think he is a get-what-you-give-him-only type of coach, but I felt the same way about Schwartz(and still do but he was given premier talent to work with in Buffalo).

I was more interested in an up-tempo attack or someone with more than just a ground chuck type of offense. Not impressed at all with how they used Vernon Davis but Roman did run the ball well and they did get to the pinnacle several times in SF. With a heavily invested and talented OL though. .

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be very telling if Rex wears a visor. B-)

Seriously, I will be interested to see if the Bills continue to go down the road of using the "hulking, lurching behemoths" strategy to build an NFL line with as little investment as possible. Like the dittoheads keep saying in the Cowboys games, those OL picks aren't the "sexy" picks on draft day, but they paid off.

To me the obvious answer is Ryan and THE question of the day, Will EJ be the starter in 2015

Seriously? You want him to pronounce on that when 1) he's not the OC 2) he doesn't know who else will be on the roster on opening day 3) he's never worked with the guy at all?

What would it mean to you if he said "yes"?

What would it mean to you if he said "no"?

-When was the last time an uptempo attack one anything in the NFL or even college? Uptempo attacks hurt your own Defenses. Actually,

-What was wrong with how they used Vernon Davis? He was hurt most of the year this year. I love how nobody wants to give Roman credit for the offenses since 2011, but he sucks because the way the Offense looked this year. Vernon Davis had 13 TD's in 2013 I guess he used him poorly then as well.

I know a lot of folks are waiting to see what Rex is wearing etc.. but I want to hear what Roman says he is going to do with this offense.

I am not real thrilled with this OC hire because I think he is a get-what-you-give-him-only type of coach, but I felt the same way about Schwartz(and still do but he was given premier talent to work with in Buffalo).

I was more interested in an up-tempo attack or someone with more than just a ground chuck type of offense. Not impressed at all with how they used Vernon Davis but Roman did run the ball well and they did get to the pinnacle several times in SF. With a heavily invested and talented OL though. .

Edited by OntarioRV

I don't care what comes out of a press conference because what matters are the results on the field. With that said, Ryan is what he is and I have no concerns with the defensive side of the ball. The most important thing to me was always going to be who he hired as OC. Ryan is a guy that has a reputation for letting his coaches coach - but has not had a good track record with OCs. I like Roman and I don't need a press conference to know what he brings. I just want to see it on the field this upcoming year. I think Ryan and Roman together have the potential to create an identity for this team similar to what we have come to see with the Ravens and Steelers: Tough, physical football on both sides of the ball.

I'm interested in what we will see come September but I doubt we will hear anything real specific today.

What I'm very curious about how much being away from Harbaugh chances his philosophy. He's supposed to be an innovator. Harbaugh is a stubborn bastard although good coach.

I don't necessarily think we are going to see SF's offense. Crabtree sucked. Boldin was limited although pretty good. He's going to use Watkins and Woods. At Stanford for two years they ran Gerhart into the ground with the second when Luck as a freshman. The first year without Gerhart they had Luck open it up and passed like crazy. Granted it was Luck, but they did what the players they had did best.

I think we will be more like the Steelers. Of course we dont have Big Ben but I expect a power run but still a lot of balls downfield and to the wideouts.

Roman has to be the more important one. The HC is a known defensive guy who'll bring his guy to "manage" the defense. The OC has more work to do and less talent to do it with.

If they're going to be a run first team as some suspect, then they'd better be darn good about it with Manuel. NFL defenses are good at stacking the box to stop the run and forcing bad QB's to make mistakes.

Easy.

A Suit

CBF

I've never seen Roman operate with a solid passing QB so I don't know if he's able to run an offense that's an up temp passing attack. My hope is that he can do for the Bills what he did for the Niners in the past 4 seasons and if/when the Bills develop/land a QB who is capable of handling the load it evolves into a more aggressive offense.

As it is now, an up tempo passing type offense would fall flat on it's face and leave the D out to dry.

It will be very telling if Rex wears a visor. B-)

Seriously, I will be interested to see if the Bills continue to go down the road of using the "hulking, lurching behemoths" strategy to build an NFL line with as little investment as possible. Like the dittoheads keep saying in the Cowboys games, those OL picks aren't the "sexy" picks on draft day, but they paid off.

Sis, I too would like to see us move away from the "hulking lurching behemoths" strategy. I love your phrase: "hulking lurching behemoths"

But using 3 draft picks, including a 2nd round pick and a talented guy who fell for character issues, plus a veteran FA, can't quite be seen "as little investment as possible".

It may be misguided, either because the talent evaluation was poor, or because they were chosen to fit an OL scheme that was poorly conceived and poorly executed (Did I mention I love your phrase: "hulking lurching behemoths"). But it isn't the crappy "gee we need a L tackle, let's draft Wang in the 5th round and Hairston in the 4th" that we suffered in 2010/2011 or the "no one. and let Levitre and Rinehart walk" we suffered in 2013.

I'm interested in what we will see come September but I doubt we will hear anything real specific today.

What I'm very curious about how much being away from Harbaugh chances his philosophy. He's supposed to be an innovator. Harbaugh is a stubborn bastard although good coach.

I don't necessarily think we are going to see SF's offense. Crabtree sucked. Boldin was limited although pretty good. He's going to use Watkins and Woods. At Stanford for two years they ran Gerhart into the ground with the second when Luck as a freshman. The first year without Gerhart they had Luck open it up and passed like crazy. Granted it was Luck, but they did what the players they had did best.

I think we will be more like the Steelers. Of course we dont have Big Ben but I expect a power run but still a lot of balls downfield and to the wideouts.

They just had a guy on WGR, John Lund from San Fran radio. Now, I'm sure he isn't any expert but I thought what he said was very interesting. He said that Roman is very much an innovator but was limited by talent in San Fran. He does lots of different formations and sets. Said that the QB was really holding them back because Kap can't read the field and was missing open people. So he tailored the offense to be a run first.

Has it been confirmed that Roman will be physically at this PC today and speaking?

Or does he get his own PC another time?

Don't expect any revelations today of any kind, especially regarding who the starting QB is going to be.

I do think (pray) someone will ask about the QB situation. Ryan would never have come here without some sort of sales pitch involving a plan for QB beyond EJ.

I hope someone states this and then asks: "What was the sales pitch? What is the plan?"

I won't expect a specific answer with names, but they might reveal some information, like we are going to pursue the trade market, the FA market, the draft, all of the above, etc.

They just had a guy on WGR, John Lund from San Fran radio. Now, I'm sure he isn't any expert but I thought what he said was very interesting. He said that Roman is very much an innovator but was limited by talent in San Fran. He does lots of different formations and sets. Said that the QB was really holding them back because Kap can't read the field and was missing open people. So he tailored the offense to be a run first.

I wrote that and then heard the Lund thing and posted above that everyone should listen to it. ;)

I don't care what comes out of a press conference because what matters are the results on the field. With that said, Ryan is what he is and I have no concerns with the defensive side of the ball. The most important thing to me was always going to be who he hired as OC. Ryan is a guy that has a reputation for letting his coaches coach - but has not had a good track record with OCs. I like Roman and I don't need a press conference to know what he brings. I just want to see it on the field this upcoming year. I think Ryan and Roman together have the potential to create an identity for this team similar to what we have come to see with the Ravens and Steelers: Tough, physical football on both sides of the ball.

This. I do want to see that Rex has learned from his mistakes and pays some attention to the O side of the ball, at least as far as game day management.

But that won't come out in a press conference. Those are just entertainment.

Haven't heard his segment yet but am looking forward to it.

If Kap was holding Roman back, what does he think he's going to accomplish in Buffalo?

My lord we need a QB.