Trade for Mike Glennon?

It's comments like these that are not facilitating to the discussion in any way whatsoever, but I will follow up. Tell me how a quarterback like Glennon, that had a terrible offensive line in front of him with very little weapons yet still came up out with an 83.7 quarterback rating and 29 tds with 15 interceptions over 19 starts, could be beat out by a 3rd string QB with a 45.1 passer rating with 1 td and 3 interceptions over one game?

I've watched nearly every one of Glennon's professional starts. He doesn't have it and is not a step up from any of the QBs on the roster, he's a lateral move at the position. We need to move forward with a guy who has a chance to be "the guy". That ain't Glennon. (in my opinion of course)

Edited by GreggyT

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've watched nearly every one of Glennon's professional starts. He doesn't have it and is not a step up from any of the QBs on the roster, he's a lateral move at the position. We need to move forward with a guy who has a chance to be "the guy". That ain't Glennon. (in my opinion of course)

That's funny, I've done the same and would be over the moon if we got him. I think he's undoubtedly a step up. (opinion as well)

Watch this footage:

:23, 1:26, 1:58, 2:07 for athleticism and throwing on the run and placing the ball carefully in spots where only the receiver can grab it.

All the GMs say that until a dire need is available in a trade and then that talk goes out the window

I have watched a lot of Glennon and I see the same things in this clip. Those do not really show athleticism. He moves a bit makes a couple of throws outside the pocket but I wouldn't call it athelticism. The best throw in that video for me is at 1:05 that is the type of tight window intermediate throw that NFL Quarterbacks at the top level have to make. EJ doesn't make enough of them and nor does Glennon and that is why it is a no from me.

I have not watched nearly as much Glennon as you but I echo that. I have said that I would rather Mettenberger than him if they are looking to add a guy (which I don't think that they are). Glennon does nothing for me.

He's not terrible but he screams backup to me. He is Derek Anderson. Very limited and can make some throws. But he will always leave you wanting more.

That's my sense of him too. At this point, we need to make peace with who we have and hope that Manuel steps up his game. If he doesn't, draft/sign new qbs next year.

Can you imagine that QB depth chart in camp?

EJ, Cassell, Taylor, Tuel, Glennon. We haven't seen such an assembly of low wattage star power at the beginning of a season since...well, since 2103 (EJ, Kolb, Tuel, Lewis). Or 2014 (EJ, Lewis, Palmer, Tuel).

Oh, Doug Whaley....!

EJ, Cassell, Taylor, Tuel, Glennon. We haven't seen such an assembly of low wattage star power at the beginning of a season since...well, since 2103 (EJ, Kolb, Tuel, Lewis). Or 2014 (EJ, Lewis, Palmer, Tuel).

Oh, Doug Whaley....!

Of course, if EJ has an Alex Smith type rebirth under Roman, we have a 10 year former starter as a backup and a 4 year 3rd stringer. That's pretty solid.

But in your Bills' world, the glass is always half empty.

Oh, Doug Whaley....!

At least it's better than the Jauron years.

Of course, if EJ has an Alex Smith type rebirth under Roman, we have a 10 year former starter as a backup and a 4 year 3rd stringer. That's pretty solid.

But in your Bills' world, the glass is always half empty.

Sure, if EJ has a birth (he really can't have a "rebirth" yet) as a guy who can QB the team to the AFCC this year, I will agree with your assessment. Absolutely.

At least it's better than the Jauron years.

Hmmm...Losman, Edwards and Fitz. That's a tough one too.

• 2 months later...

I personally believe this would be the best option for the Buffalo Bills at this stage of the game. Trade either EJ or Bryce Brown and a draft pick for Glennon. He certainly is a great pocket passer that can make all the throws -- something we haven't had since Bledsoe. I really wish this would happen and I would be even more excited for next season.

I say he is the best option for the Bills for a few reasons.

1. He's the best QB that is on the trade market.

2. He did surprisingly well for a young pocket QB with a horrible offensive line.

3. We have elite WRs and a very good TE that can benefit greatly from a guy who can make the throws.

4. He's young enough to be a franchise QB if he improves.

5. He's actually quite a smart QB that can read defenses well. With the guys in the backfield that we have now, he would offer a unique offensive weapon with ground and pound and the pressure wouldn't constantly be on him.

6. If he is a franchise QB, he doesn't count much against the cap and that would continue until 2017.

7. If he isn't the guy, it didn't cost the Bills much at all and the Bills have genuinely tested a good pocket passer -- something they haven't done in a long time.

8. Instead of testing an unproven QB in the draft, bringing in Glennon still affords the Bills a rookie contract that doesn't commit to too much and allows the Bills to work on the most important weakness of the Bills: The Offensive Line.

Still holding true to this with Winston being named the Bucs starter. All the supposed statements about Glennon going nowhere are a result of no team offering even a 3rd or 4th round pick and QB in return for this guy. Cut Cassel and bring in Glennon for that pocket QB presence and let him compete. He's cheaper, better, and younger than Cassel and has game time experience with a horrible offensive line and still put up acceptable numbers.

Still holding true to this with Winston being named the Bucs starter. All the supposed statements about Glennon going nowhere are a result of no team offering even a 3rd or 4th round pick and QB in return for this guy. Cut Cassel and bring in Glennon for that pocket QB presence and let him compete. He's cheaper, better, and younger than Cassel and has game time experience with a horrible offensive line and still put up acceptable numbers.

I don't like Cassel at all - I just don't think he brings anything except being around. In saying that it's kind of too late to do something like that IMO.