OSU's Cardale Jones considering NFL jump

Punch

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my question though, with what really amounts to a 3 game career and reports of a horrendous showing in spring practices which led to his demotion, which Cardale do you get? Do you risk drafting him fairly high or no?

He was what you saw in the 3 games in spring practice. A friend of mine was at several. He won the backup job.

He was not given the starting job when Braxton went down because they had 10 days to get someone ready. And JT runs the urban offense like it was built for him. And was his recruit and his new Tebow.

He was what you saw in the 3 games in spring practice. A friend of mine was at several. He won the backup job.

He was not given the starting job when Braxton went down because they had 10 days to get someone ready. And JT runs the urban offense like it was built for him. And was his recruit and his new Tebow.

that makes sense, I wasn't totally convinced when I heard a report saying he was terrible in spring practice.

Here's my question though, with what really amounts to a 3 game career and reports of a horrendous showing in spring practices which led to his demotion, which Cardale do you get? Do you risk drafting him fairly high or no?

I would. It's certainly a risk, but the potential reward is off-the-charts. Very few teams ever get the chance to draft an Elway, Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck. To hit it big, you have to take chances on guys with question marks. I would rather spend a first or second round pick on a guy like C Jones who has unlimited potential but a skimpy (but spectacular) body of work than someone like EJ or Hundley who have played a lot of games in which they have displayed serious shortcomings.

Edited by mannc

I would. It's certainly a risk, but the potential reward is off-the-charts. Very few teams ever get the chance to draft an Elway, Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck. To hit it big, you have to take chances on guys with question marks. I would rather spend a first or second round pick on a guy like C Jones who has unlimited potential but a skimpy (but spectacular) body of work than someone like EJ or Hundley who have played a lot of games in which they have displayed serious shortcomings.

I think that there is something to this. Guys like Barkley are good examples on the other side. The more that they played their physical limitations became evident. EJ & Hundley have the physical traits but inconsistent tape. I'd much rather Cardale than Hundley. I'm not a fan of the other guys after Jameis & Mariota.

he was bad at the Spring game (practice open to public) as was JT. The whole team looked like crap. Lol. But not every day practice.

He had one or two really, really terrible INTs in the Scarlett and Gray game last spring -- and that was back when the defense was a dumpster fire. I'm just stunned that the kid from that game evolved into a great and powerful conqueror of all things :P

Also, I understand that JT got the edge because he made the correct read once the ball was snapped more consistently than Jones (or Braxton, for that matter). I didn't see anything in the last three games that made me think Jones has decision-making issues, but apparently that was part of the reason he was third.

He had one or two really, really terrible INTs in the Scarlett and Gray game last spring -- and that was back when the defense was a dumpster fire. I'm just stunned that the kid from that game evolved into a great and powerful conqueror of all things :P

Also, I understand that JT got the edge because he made the correct read once the ball was snapped more consistently than Jones (or Braxton, for that matter). I didn't see anything in the last three games that made me think Jones has decision-making issues, but apparently that was part of the reason he was third.

i was at that game and everyone left thinking "if Braxton gets hurt, we are SO screwed"

Who would have thought!

I think the difference in the 3 is intelligence and game prep. My friend is a HS coach who has a kid getting recruited by OSU and he's been in several of the meetings. He said last year Braxton never knew what was going on. Kenny G knew every little detail and could teach everyone else. JT is like him (but more talent). JT is Urban's new Tebow.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I'd take him in the 2nd round without thinking twice. If we are going to a power offense, he could be a fantastic fit as his arm should open things up just like it did during the Buckeyes run. Smash mouth football with Cardale launching bombs to Watkins and Woods could look very nice.

His combine workout will be fantastic. That's for sure.

The draft just got more interesting (for me)

I'll hold my opinion until I see the Combine/Private Workout numbers...But I have my guess already on where the kid will go...I'm assuming his arm is going to dazzle...I can hear it already...Size, Speed, Arm...This should be good... :thumbsup:

They asked him if he would consider it. But I imagine it could be a strong consideration.

DW said any time you have a guy with a limited resume, you're going to drop his grade based on the lack of work. They are just harder to scout and there is a lot of extra work to be done. (Completely true.)

OTOH, that doesn't mean C Jones can't blow the scouts away with his workouts, football IQ, etc. Someone compared him to the Cam Newton situation, and there are a lot of parallels. All it takes is one GM to fall in love with the guy...

Shockingly even Mo C seems to have been accepted back into the community.

Yep it took him awhile but he did. Terrell Pryor is the one who I wonder about... Was banned from OSU events for 5 years. Couldn't even go to the game at Cal last year when he was still with the Raiders as an official guest of OSU.

DW said any time you have a guy with a limited resume, you're going to drop his grade based on the lack of work. They are just harder to scout and there is a lot of extra work to be done. (Completely true.)

OTOH, that doesn't mean C Jones can't blow the scouts away with his workouts, football IQ, etc. Someone compared him to the Cam Newton situation, and there are a lot of parallels. All it takes is one GM to fall in love with the guy...

Yep. Especially with the success of Aaron Rogers. I could see the Saints, Broncos (if manning stays), Chargers, Patsies, etc, taking him in the second round. It would be much wiser for a team that has a QB versus a team that needs one.

They are all crapshoots and most are crap, so I wouldn't mind the Bills taking a shot in the third. Maybe even the second if they love him.