Post Interview Rumors???

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, being reported on PFT and a few other outlets

Which are basically regurgitating the one rumor.

Have to give credit to Pegulas for running a totally quiet operation.

You guyzzzzz! Link or it didn't happen

"Reports indicate that Shanahan is a favorite of president Russ Brandon."

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/9034669.php?pid=447850

All I could find quickly, and I know I've seen more references.

Now I've heard different speculations about this hiring in Buffalo that Shanahan would want more player control, and might want to bring in his own front office people. If you stop and think for a minute this might be a truly perfect world idea for the offensive side of the ball.

Keep Whaley for the defensive side, and let him and Jim Schwartz run that side. Then let Mike Shanahan and his cronies (son, scouts) run the offensive side. There is no question in my mind that Shanny is brilliant with his offensive blocking schemes, offensive player acquisitions, and his ability to recognize QB talent, procure it, and develop it. Shanahan would be able to work with EJ and definitively tell you if he is salvageable or isn't, and if not dump him and find a QB that can be developed.

This way the team doesn't spend years attempting to develop a QB unworthy of investing the time into him.

What killed Shanahan's time in Denver was the owners impatience, along with his Chan Gailey like choices for his DC's in Larry Coyer- Bob Slowik ?? Jay Cutler was in his third season, second year starting in Denver when they fired ole Mike. Meanwhile Cutler threw for 4526 yards, and made the pro bowl.

Although both the 49ers, Raiders have a young QB on their roster that might be appealing to work with. My personal take is I highly doubt 49er GM Trent Baalke is going to give up player control to Shanahan when he wouldn't give it to Harbaugh. Same thing in Oakland with Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie who I doubt is going to give up any player personnel power to anybody. As a matter of fact the Raiders want an experienced NFL HC who has past experience as a HC because they have interviewed 8 different individuals all with previous HCing experience. What is scaring a lot of them away however is learning about the way the Raiders FO is structured.

I think the Bills have a solid shot at Shanahan if he doesn't get overly greedy this time around.

Ryan is shying away from the job due to the QB situation...kinda the same bad taste in his mouth he had with the Jets

Maybe I didn't follow it closely enough, but wasn't he a big Sanchez guy? So much so that he wanted him to win the job over Geno in camp in Genos rookie year so he put him out there against 3rd stringers at the end of a preseason game so he would look good - but that led to his injury and eventual release? And then Rex never liked the guys who came after him.

While I'm not necessarily banging the drum for Sanchez (though I consider him one of the better options out there at QB for the Bills) he is a FA and Rex could go get him if he came here, IMO.

Maybe I didn't follow it closely enough, but wasn't he a big Sanchez guy? So much so that he wanted him to win the job over Geno in camp in Genos rookie year so he put him out there against 3rd stringers at the end of a preseason game so he would look good - but that led to his injury and eventual release? And then Rex never liked the guys who came after him.

While I'm not necessarily banging the drum for Sanchez (though I consider him one of the better options out there at QB for the Bills) he is a FA and Rex could go get him if he came here, IMO.

Yep. Had the injury not have occured I think Rex would have gone with Sanchez in 2013 in New York. I still think Rex thinks he can be a franchise guy with a defense and a running game.

Yep. Had the injury not have occured I think Rex would have gone with Sanchez in 2013 in New York. I still think Rex thinks he can be a franchise guy with a defense and a running game.

Interesting that the Jets planned on going with Sanchez and let Smith sit for at least a year, and the Bills planned on going with Kolb and letting EJ sit, and then both vets got hurt before the season started and screwed everything up.

"Reports indicate that Shanahan is a favorite of president Russ Brandon."

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/9034669.php?pid=447850

All I could find quickly, and I know I've seen more references.

Now I've heard different speculations about this hiring in Buffalo that Shanahan would want more player control, and might want to bring in his own front office people. If you stop and think for a minute this might be a truly perfect world idea for the offensive side of the ball.

Keep Whaley for the defensive side, and let him and Jim Schwartz run that side. Then let Mike Shanahan and his cronies (son, scouts) run the offensive side. There is no question in my mind that Shanny is brilliant with his offensive blocking schemes, offensive player acquisitions, and his ability to recognize QB talent, procure it, and develop it. Shanahan would be able to work with EJ and definitively tell you if he is salvageable or isn't, and if not dump him and find a QB that can be developed.

This way the team doesn't spend years attempting to develop a QB unworthy of investing the time into him.

What killed Shanahan's time in Denver was the owners impatience, along with his Chan Gailey like choices for his DC's in Larry Coyer- Bob Slowik ?? Jay Cutler was in his third season, second year starting in Denver when they fired ole Mike. Meanwhile Cutler threw for 4526 yards, and made the pro bowl.

Although both the 49ers, Raiders have a young QB on their roster that might be appealing to work with. My personal take is I highly doubt 49er GM Trent Baalke is going to give up player control to Shanahan when he wouldn't give it to Harbaugh. Same thing in Oakland with Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie who I doubt is going to give up any player personnel power to anybody. As a matter of fact the Raiders want an experienced NFL HC who has past experience as a HC because they have interviewed 8 different individuals all with previous HCing experience. What is scaring a lot of them away however is learning about the way the Raiders FO is structured.

I think the Bills have a solid shot at Shanahan if he doesn't get overly greedy this time around.

As to the bolded, Are you saying that the Bills should have co-GMs and co-scouting staffs? One for the Offense and one for the Defense?

Um, yeah?

Kubiak as HC is possible once he is free, if he chooses to interview.

He is not likely a candidate for your Scenario #2, because it would be a parallel move - and contract with the Ravens aside, why on earth would he do that, even if it didn't mean going from a playoff contender to a team with a questionable QB situation? How many of us who already have good jobs want to go report to our former underling?

I can see your point and agree that the odds are far better for Kubiak to be hired as a head coach for the second time around. Only time will tell, but if the Ravens lose Saturday, Gary's name will be added to the current mix of strong candidates for a HC gig. And if the Bills are in play (as I think they are with both Shanahans), they'll be the first ones on the phone to Koobs.

Prior to his Thursday firing in Cleveland, Kyle stated that he'd be open to a lateral move. So if he isn't offered a HC job soon, I think he'll play it safe and work with his pops again. The fact the Bills have not yet named a coach makes me think that they're waiting on a candidate that's in the playoffs. If it is indeed Kubiak, the Pegulas are patiently waiting because he stated he's not interviewing with anybody, for any role, until the Ravens season has ended.

If this scenario transpires, Kubiak would be Buffalo's HC, Kyle his OC again (as he was in Houston), and Mike would reunite with Gary - who was his Super Bowl OC in Denver - as President and Director of Football Operations.

Edited by dcjoev

As to the bolded, Are you saying that the Bills should have co-GMs and co-scouting staffs? One for the Offense and one for the Defense?

No, not really. Shanahan is noted to want control over the roster like Belichick, Carroll, and now Chip Kelly. Just allow him control over the offensive side, as he excels in that regard. Same with Whaley in excelling at the defensive side, and both appear to have difficulty one side of the ball.

Nope.

Atlanta

CBF

Well, I think the 49ers are his #1 choice but he might not be theirs.

Either way, I think it's SF/Atlanta as #1/#1A

The reason I think Rex would prefer SF is that the defense is dominant already and he can make it even better. AND they have a good young QB (good enough to get to several NFC Title games and the Super Bowl already)

They also have a great OL, great RB... really SF is stacked everywhere and has a great GM.

Atlanta is in a cupcake division but is a bit heavier lift, IMO

I can see your point and agree that the odds are far better for Kubiak to be hired as a head coach for the second time around. Only time will tell, but if the Ravens lose Saturday, Gary's name will be added to the current mix of strong candidates for a HC gig. And if the Bills are in play (as I think they are with both Shanahans), they'll be the first ones on the phone to Koobs.

Prior to his Thursday firing in Cleveland, Kyle stated that he'd be open to a lateral move. So if he isn't offered a HC job soon, I think he'll play it safe and work with his pops again. The fact the Bills have not yet named a coach makes me think that they're waiting on a candidate that's in the playoffs. If it is indeed Kubiak, the Pegulas are patiently waiting because he stated he's not interviewing with anybody, for any role, until the Ravens season has ended.

If this scenario transpires, Kobbs would be Buffalo's HC, Kyle his OC again (as he was in Houston), and Mike would reunite with Gary - who was his Super Bowl OC in Denver - as President and Director of Football Operations.

Why does everyone think Gary Kubiak would even make a lateral move to a team with no QB, and a bad line? Then the Bills FO haven't said anything about even interviewing the man whatsoever.

The only two remaining people the Bills have waiting to interview * that haven't scheduled and interview are both teams still in the playoffs. Pep Hamilton Indy- Josh McDaniels- NE. The Bills have requested an interview with both, and have yet to receive acknowledgement AFAIK.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/bills-news-notes/2015/1/7/7507573/buffalo-bills-head-coach-search-2015-updated-interview-list/in/7223924

No Gary kubiak on that list, sadly

Edited by FeartheLosing

Well, I think the 49ers are his #1 choice but he might not be theirs.

Either way, I think it's SF/Atlanta as #1/#1A

The reason I think Rex would prefer SF is that the defense is dominant already and he can make it even better. AND they have a good young QB (good enough to get to several NFC Title games and the Super Bowl already)

They also have a great OL, great RB... really SF is stacked everywhere and has a great GM.

Atlanta is in a cupcake division but is a bit heavier lift, IMO

While I agree that SF has the better dominant defense, the Falcons have the much better QB who hasn't fallen on his face recently.

Rex Ryan was said to have been seriously pissed when Mike Smith got the job over him for the Atlanta HCing job back in 2008, and he desperately wanted that job. Its also noted that the Falcons owner loves Ryan. Both Dimitroff and Pioli are pushing for Josh McDaniels. So, who knows.