Buddy Nix and 2 scouts dismissed

HOUSE

A third person familiar with the decision told the AP that former general manager Buddy Nix and veteran scouts David G. Smith and David W. Smith will not return. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the Bills have not announced the moves.

Nix held the role of special assistant since stepping down as GM in May 2013. The Smiths had a combined 58 years of NFL experience, and each held the title of scout emeritus.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-ryan-jackson-among-bills-coaching-candidates-172946605--nfl.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=fb

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A third person familiar with the decision told the AP that former general manager Buddy Nix and veteran scouts David G. Smith and David W. Smith will not return. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the Bills have not announced the moves.

Nix held the role of special assistant since stepping down as GM in May 2013. The Smiths had a combined 58 years of NFL experience, and each held the title of scout emeritus.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-ryan-jackson-among-bills-coaching-candidates-172946605--nfl.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=fb

Good. It's been known for years that the Bills scouting organization was full of dead wood that was out of touch and not putting in the needed hands-on to get things done. Get out the pruning sheers. Way overdue.

Good. It's been known for years that the Bills scouting organization was full of dead wood that was out of touch and not putting in the needed hands-on to get things done. Get out the pruning sheers. Way overdue.

As if you know about the smiths?

Without knowing much, I would assume this was Whaley's doing, which means he has some power. There is no way the Pegulas make this decision, they don't know anything about scouting. They are holdovers from the old regime and Scouts Emeritus.

Maybe. I can certainly see Pegula looking at that "Emeritus" title and asking some tough questions. He isn't obligated to carry virtually retired people that Ralph knew on his payroll.

Maybe. I can certainly see Pegula looking at that "Emeritus" title and asking some tough questions. He isn't obligated to carry virtually retired people that Ralph knew on his payroll.

That's possible, and this is just the first salvo in getting rid of the old guard. Buddy Ebsen had to go though.

Buddy's contract expired this month and he was slated to retire anyway.

I wish the two Daves good luck. Nice people and, contrary to the lynch mob mentality around here, a couple of very good scouts who've been at it a long time.

GO BILLS!!!

That's possible, and this is just the first salvo in getting rid of the old guard. Buddy Ebsen had to go though.

From the other thread ... if there is truth to Overdorf getting locked out and Brandon is just acting as coffee gopher ... you may be right that this is just the first shots fired.

Ultimately it's not even a firing just not a renewal.... Likely not shocking as I assumed this was a transition title not a "for life"

No idea on the smith duo

From the other thread ... if there is truth to Overdorf getting locked out and Brandon is just acting as coffee gopher ... you may be right that this is just the first shots fired.

I love how people think that anyone that's not a decision maker is a coffee gopher. That he's even in the room is a tip of respect to the guy heading the non football side.