Double-Digit Candidates & Interviews -Smart Move

HailMary

The Pegulas decision to interview upward towards 10 candidates has recently been mocked by a number of media sources. Under normal circumstances teams would have a shorter list with a couple of favourites in mind and I can see how this approach would be ripped by media. However, the reality of our circumstances is very different here. We have billionaire owners with little no NFL football operations experience. If you think about it, the strategy is quite smart. As a new owner with no NFL management experience, why wouldn't you take advantage of interviewing some of the brightest and experienced minds in the game to gain insight and perspective and when would you have this chance again. Smart move-we'll be in good hands.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh please. It just shows we are inept and do not know what success is. We are wasting time with all these interviews.

SF is doing the same thing I believe.

brilliant. Top of the class in organization. This is a team that knows how to win!

Smart Move. My wish though is for one of these upcomer OC coaches if hired will keep the defense and DC in place with Schwartz, and either increase Schwartz pay or promote him to Asst HC. Failing this promote Schwartz to HC and go in the college ranks and get a bright innovative OC to be our OC.

It;s good for the Pegulas to make connections,perhaps for future needs..but,at what point might candidates feel exploited and think the interview is a waste of time?Or that Pegs is just picking their brains?Might it look like Pegula (and Whaley?) have NO plan and just hope to get lucky?

I am not worried..though, there arent that many openings in the NFL (yet?) and there are plenty of good candidates for the Bills to look at. No hurry.

And,it's obvious they arent interested in a college guy?

People seem to forget that when they were replacing Gailey, they had a hard time even getting people to come for an interview!

I'm so happy with getting rid of Marrone after only 2 seasons. Now they have a new owner, a decent team, and are in a much better position to attract a quality staff. Worked out great, in my eyes.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Meh. No downside, but I think it is a waste of time. What real insight would some coordinator with no knowledge of our team provide?

How he would develop EJ, how he would use Spiller if we re-sign him, how he would use Watkins, Woods and Goodwin along with the backs. What he thought of Chandler and Gray. I imagine that each of these candidates watched every single play the Bills had preparing for the interview, and they know what to look for.

Waste of time because its going to be The Schawartz. They really need to nail the OC though

That is the problem.

If you go and interview 15% of the NFL assistant coaches, then you choice your own you do look

1.) Silly

2.) Like nobody else wanted the gig.

We will see.

The good news is I like 11/12 of the candidates over Marrone.

Mike Shanahan gives me the creeps.

:sick:

Damn you. You are correct of course. But i am over worried about Jim being dissed i suppose.

Maybe they have already come to terms internally with Jim that they are hiring outside, But Frank Reich as HC over Jim who has years and years of NFL exp and proved his worth to the Bills just last year? Thats brutal to think of, Love Frank but... Tough call for the Pegulas

It is smart and it is also essential. Five other teams looking for a HC at the same time. There are a lot of repetitive candidates amongst these six teams. Some of these candidates will a) be hired, b) withdraw and remain in their current situation, and c) not be considered a strong candidate. There is also likely a candidate or two who are just getting interview experience and are not ready to bust a move. Factor this all together and it is not hard to understand why the Bills end up somewhere between 12 - 15 interviews perhaps more. Hopefully the next HC will be an innovative guy who can motivate players and work well with others in the organization i.e. not be a pompous ass.

Meh. No downside, but I think it is a waste of time. What real insight would some coordinator with no knowledge of our team provide?

I get where you're coming from, but I think there's value in building relationships. That may pay off down the road in some way. What could it hurt?