Are the Pegulas in Over Their Heads?

jjmac

Please keep in mind that Sully seems to have had an axe to grind regarding the Pegulas for a long time. Sully's columns always fit his narrative.

In evaluating his columns, ask yourselves:

Whether the Pegulas (who have transformed Buffalo) or Sully is over their head?

This is the same Sully who failed miserably in taking a shot at Sammy yesterday.

This is the same Sully who took every shot he could at Mario (refrigerator) and Marcel until even he had to stop.

As an aside, when I opened the News site on my iPad earlier today and saw the headlines for the Pegula article and the Marcel article, I knew before opening each that Sully wrote the Pegula article and Vic probably wrote the Marcel article.

To paraphrase other posters' comments about certain potential HCs, the game has passed Sully by - about 25 years ago.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on early returns my take is yes, the Pegulas are over their heads. Should have extended Marrone. Potentially catastrophic beginning. I guess they can only get better from here.

What early returns? The offense, Marrone's specialty, was crap and they had to find a new starter after Marrone foolishly kept playing Orton. The rest of the team returns intact. The Bills are interviewing HC'ing candidates. There is nothing but good coming from this.

Jerry is irrelevant. Each new opinion piece he writes reinforces that. He obviously is not a fan of the Buffalo Bills, so why give him the time of day? Every single person that commented on that article should be ashamed of themselves, you keep that piece of trash employed.

Personally I think tbd should quit linking to his trash opinion pieces. Like I said, he is not a fan.

buffalonews.com should probably be a banned site due to accuracy issues.

Wrong! First thing 9-7. Best record in a decade. He was the head coach. That means he was the head coach of the D and ST. Final say on everything. EJ wasn't ready. Orton, a cowardly sloth with a decent arm was his only option. He absolutely deserved more time with the offense. In two years he led a total change in 2 of 3 fundamental components of the game. What he did with that offense was actually quite impressive given the circumstances....But let me repeat this because it's the bottom line: Marrone led the team to the best record in a decade with things clearly trending upwards. A dumb knee jerk response form the Pegulas.

What early returns? The offense, Marrone's specialty, was crap and they had to find a new starter after Marrone foolishly kept playing Orton. The rest of the team returns intact. The Bills are interviewing HC'ing candidates. There is nothing but good coming from this.

Mojo is either an amazing troll or someone very close to Dougie...

Mojo is either an amazing troll or someone very close to Dougie...

==============================

Nah, the quote function is all messed up. It's not Mojo, it's Doc Mangla, that's been his M.O. since the Mike Wilk days.

Wrong! First thing 9-7. Best record in a decade. He was the head coach. That means he was the head coach of the D and ST. Final say on everything. EJ wasn't ready. Orton, a cowardly sloth with a decent arm was his only option. He absolutely deserved more time with the offense. In two years he led a total change in 2 of 3 fundamental components of the game. What he did with that offense was actually quite impressive given the circumstances....But let me repeat this because it's the bottom line: Marrone led the team to the best record in a decade with things clearly trending upwards. A dumb knee jerk response form the Pegulas.

The record was because of defense and STs, which were not his forte. Again the offense, his forte, was putrid. To try and convince people that he was responsible for the defense and STs alone is absurd. To absolve him of blame for the offense is laughable.

Doc, what about the term "Head Coach". Don't you get? These were his defense and ST. Yes, his forte is offense. He was stuck with Orton. EJ wasn't ready and if he was the QB we would have been out of the hunt by November. Given what he had to work with, he actually performed a near miracle with it by getting close to the playoffs.

This is the mantra: Head Coach = 9-7, best record in a decade and trending upward. Keep saying that to yourself.

Doc, what about the term "Head Coach". Don't you get? These were his defense and ST. Yes, his forte is offense. He was stuck with Orton. EJ wasn't ready and if he was the QB we would have been out of the hunt by November. Given what he had to work with, he actually performed a near miracle with it by getting close to the playoffs.

This is the mantra: Head Coach = 9-7, best record in a decade and trending upward. Keep saying that to yourself.

An offensive-minded coach doesn't usually concern himself with the defense. Or at least he shouldn't, when his forte, offense, is performing so poorly. But are you trying to say that Marrone picked who to sign in FA and who to draft on defense these past 2 years? Did he make the defensive calls as well? I think the latter question is obviously "no." As for the former question, why did Polian say, in his advice to the Pegulas, to make sure the personnel department listens to the HC? Are you claiming that they listened to him when it came to defense and STs, but not offense? How convenient.

Doc, not true. HC is intamitely involved with all parts of the game. That's why he's the head coach. It's captain obvious stuff. Just plain wrong. And, once again as you seemed to miss it, what he did offensively with what he had to work with was actually remarkablle.

Again just repeat: Head coach=9-7 and trending upwards.

Hey, BTW, to all of you trashing me. I'm no troll. Been a fan of the Bills literally since day one of the franchise in 1960. How many times I've posted is ireelavent. If you have a cogent and well thought reply I'd love to hear it. I assume everyone else here is a Bills fan and knows a thing or two about the game. Show some class instead of showing the emotional maturity of a pre-teen girl.

Marrone presided over an offense that failed to score more than 1 TD in 6 games.

That someone is in here giving him CREDIT for that is laughable. That the same person is crediting him with not only the performance of the defense, but the personnel part of it as well is simply beyond belief.

As Doug Whaley himself said: he's in charge of the 53-man roster, not Marrone.

I'd be interested in hearing how a guy that supposedly had influence over the defense comes out of a game unaware that one of his best pass rushers didn't play for over a quarter?

I'll credit Marrone for instiling toughness and resiliency; for me, that's where his great work ends and Schwartz's begins.

Edited by thebandit27

Doc, not true. HC is intamitely involved with all parts of the game. That's why he's the head coach. It's captain obvious stuff. Just plain wrong. And, once again as you seemed to miss it, what he did offensively with what he had to work with was actually remarkablle.

Again just repeat: Head coach=9-7 and trending upwards.

Nowhere has it ever been suggested that Marrone had anything to do with the defense other than hiring Pettine and maybe Schwartz. OTOH, he put the blame for the offense on himself.

And even if you believe he built the defense, it's been built and is now being run by Schwartz. Marrone is no longer needed or wanted.

And yes, the team just came off a 9-7 season, jettisoned the worst parts of it, and are trending upwards.