Polian's Advice to the Pegulas

So I was just watching some ESPN2 show called "NFL Insiders" and Polian was on, talking about why he turned down the advisory role with the Bills. It was the same that we'd already heard - the job became more of a heavy lift and time commitment than he was looking for. But they then asked him about the Pegulas and what he would recommend to get the team back on track. What he said was interesting. I'm paraphrasing, but essentially it was "Make sure the new head coach is actually listened to by the personnel department, when he says he needs something to run his team, they should be listening to him, and they should be acquiring the kinds of players the coach says that he needs."

So I'll deduce from that what it was that Marrone said to Polian on his way out, about the structure of the front office and the responsiveness. Marrone is a dickhead, no question - but this is not the first time we've heard this kind of thing about the Bills' front office.

Pollen did say that the Pegulas are smart and committed and will do what they need to do to get the ship righted.

Time to fire some lifers, Terry.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was very impressed by Polian's comments today. And, while I'm sure he isn't sharing everything, he seemed to be sincere and rather complete.

As Tuesday already said" The job became a bigger when Marrone left. Now the Bills are in major "retooling" mode.

Was planning on being an "adviser" to the team. The new HC should be assured the guy who hired him will be around for awhile, but he wasn't ready for a long term commitment--nor the extra time commitment. Also his family was against it (holding signs that read ESPN) when he entered the room.

Thought the offense needed more Quality players. Says the D has them.

Need a QB, of course. Said there doesn't look to be a QB in the later rounds (like Garraffalo or Metz) this year. Said Bill will bring in a vet as #1 or #1a (I think I'm remembering that correctly)

Said EJ is, for all intents and purposes, is a still a rookie.

(BTW, Polian just mentioned Marrone as a "wise choice" for Atlanta.)

Yes this what power struggles are usually all about!

Funny thing about that. When he went to Miami didn't he get very involved with the groceries?

Marrone can't have 5 pro bowl linemen and a pro bowl QB. That is not how the NFL works.

That said, what else did he need? They spent significant resources on the o-line (FA signing, three draft picks), drafted a 1st round QB, signed the highest paid backup QB, spent four high picks on receivers, traded for another no. 1 receiver, traded for an emerging star RB, signed all of those core ST players, and got depth all across the defense.

So I was just watching some ESPN2 show called "NFL Insiders" and Polian was on, talking about why he turned down the advisory role with the Bills. It was the same that we'd already heard - the job became more of a heavy lift and time commitment than he was looking for. But they then asked him about the Pegulas and what he would recommend to get the team back on track. What he said was interesting. I'm paraphrasing, but essentially it was "Make sure the new head coach is actually listened to by the personnel department, when he says he needs something to run his team, they should be listening to him, and they should be acquiring the kinds of players the coach says that he needs."

So I'll deduce from that what it was that Marrone said to Polian on his way out, about the structure of the front office and the responsiveness. Marrone is a dickhead, no question - but this is not the first time we've heard this kind of thing about the Bills' front office.

Pollen did say that the Pegulas are smart and committed and will do what they need to do to get the ship righted.

Translated - what Polian says is that Whaley didn't listen to Marrone and he did the best he could with the cast of misfits Whaley gave him and what happened wasn't Marrone's fault. In most places I think it works the other way. The GM calls the shots and the HC works with the players provided. This isn't college where coaches do the recuiting, its the pro's.

This is a lame excuse by Marrone delivered by Polian. Funny we didn't see any impact on the performance of the defense or special teams, just the offense. His area of expertise. A good coach works with what he has and adapts to the constaints and conditions including the players around him and its a head scratcher why people think Marrone is some kind of amazing coach when his lifetime record Syracuse/Buffalo is below .500.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

I was very impressed by Polian's comments today. And, while I'm sure he isn't sharing everything, he seemed to be sincere and rather complete.

As Tuesday already said" The job became a bigger when Marrone left. Now the Bills are in major "retooling" mode.

Was planning on being an "adviser" to the team. The new HC should be assured the guy who hired him will be around for awhile, but he wasn't ready for a long term commitment--nor the extra time commitment. Also his family was against it (holding signs that read ESPN) when he entered the room.

Thought the offense needed more Quality players. Says the D has them.

Need a QB, of course. Said there doesn't look to be a QB in the later rounds (like Garraffalo or Metz) this year. Said Bill will bring in a vet as #1 or #1a (I think I'm remembering that correctly)

Said EJ is, for all intents and purposes, is a still a rookie.

(BTW, Polian just mentioned Marrone as a "wise choice" for Atlanta.)

Funny thing about that. When he went to Miami didn't he get very involved with the groceries?

My biggest beef with this whole Polian discussion is the part where he says it needed major retooling. That doesn't sit right with me. Did he think coming here was going to be some cushy job where he could put his feet up? The offense is an absolute mess. The offense was always going to need major retooling. What exactly was Polian going to bring to the Bills?

Wow, sage advice. Who did Marrone want? Franchise QB? Well that should be easy. Just call Greenbay and tell them to send us Rogers. Better offensive line? Picked up one guy in free agency and drafted three.

This was about evicerating Whaley and protecting Hackett nothing more.

Marrone can't have 5 pro bowl linemen and a pro bowl QB. That is not how the NFL works.

That said, what else did he need? They spent significant resources on the o-line (FA signing, three draft picks), drafted a 1st round QB, signed the highest paid backup QB, spent four high picks on receivers, traded for another no. 1 receiver, traded for an emerging star RB, signed all of those core ST players, and got depth all across the defense.

No he can't but some talent would be nice. Are you suggesting that Chris Williams, Cyrus and Cyril were talented and the coach couldn't get it out of him? And same with Pears and Urbik? By all accounts, those are not even five mediocre talents. This isn't a "coach em up" situation with the OL. They need to be athletic and smart and if they are, they play (see: Henderson, Seantrel).

Spending doesn't equal quality. I don't shop at Walmart for this reason.

I don't know who specifically Marrone wanted. It's pretty clear who he didn't want: Mike Williams, Bryce Brown, perhaps EJ Manuel, perhaps he wanted next year's first-round pick and Eric Ebron or Zack Martin. He probably wanted more than Chris Williams and some rookies and washed-up vets at the guard positions.

Again, Marrone is a jerk. But he and Whaley were not even close to being on the same page last year and that's just as much on Whaley.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

My biggest beef with this whole Polian discussion is the part where he says it needed major retooling. That doesn't sit right with me. Did he think coming here was going to be some cushy job where he could put his feet up? The offense is an absolute mess. The offense was always going to need major retooling. What exactly was Polian going to bring to the Bills?

Yeah the major retooling is from what his OC did ,which his play calling was so predictable and he was way out of his league.

I don't know who specifically Marrone wanted. It's pretty clear who he didn't want: Mike Williams, Bryce Brown, perhaps EJ Manuel, perhaps he wanted next year's first-round pick and Eric Ebron or Zack Martin. He probably wanted more than Chris Williams and some rookies and washed-up vets at the guard positions.

Again, Marrone is a jerk. But he and Whaley were not even close to being on the same page last year and that's just as much on Whaley.

Maybe this time we can get the coach and GM on the same page.

You don't think sounds at all like Marrone covering his ass? "I could have done a better job if they gave me better players". Every coach says that crap. Whaley tried to make the OL better, what else was he suppose to do hand him pro bowl talent on a platter?

You don't think sounds at all like Marrone covering his ass? "I could have done a better job if they gave me better players". Every coach says that crap. Whaley tried to make the OL better, what else was he suppose to do hand him pro bowl talent on a platter?

Maybe. But Marrone didn't use those players. It's clear they were not communicating effectively and it's a recipe for failure and strife.

Maybe. But Marrone didn't use those players. It's clear they were not communicating effectively and it's a recipe for failure and strife.

He used some of the players then completely ignored others. His stubbornness meant Urbik sat on the bench and Pears was moved to right guard. Urbik is a much better RG than Pears. That move mad no sense.

No offense to Polian but this is completely 1 sided. He's taking what Marrone said, which sounds like whining and making assumptions.

I'm sure that was what the whole argument in training camp was about. Not sure if the issue is Whaley is thickheaded and basically told Marrone I got you the players, now make use of them eve nif not what Marrone asked for. Did Marrone agree on the players then decided they weren't any good. Is Marrone just one of these guys who's never happy, wouldn't surprise me as he kind of comes off that way.

Marrone is a dickhead, no question - but this is not the first time we've heard this kind of thing about the Bills' front office.

Yup, I've always said that about Bill P very good coach, but lousy GM. Didn't think he ever put together that great roster. That was why he left the Giants, they wouldn't give him more power

I don't know, did he not want them, or was he OK with it, maybe even asked for them. The players got here, then decides they suck and won't play them. I could certainly then see why Whaley could quickly tire of that and tell him, "I got you the toys you asked for, now go play with them as I'm not buying you anymore new toys!" Or did Whaley ignore his letter to Santa and got him the toys that Whaley thought he should have??