When did you first start to dislike Marrone?

wouldn't that be Hillard's fault and getting rid of him was the smart thing to do.

the offensive coordinator owns the O - every aspect of it. when they watched film, and saw the comedy of errors - it was on Hackett and Hilliard to clean it up. but if the misunderstandings that plagued his receivers were symptomatic of an offense that was conceptually flawed - it was on Marrone to figure out where the real issue was. i actually gave him the benefit of the doubt this year - thinking, maybe Hilliard was being stubborn or ignorant, and rather than drag him thu the mud, Marrone quietly let him go. so i was anxious to see if bringing in Rob Moore was going to have an effect on the Xs & Os of the passing game. even after EJ was benched, there were receivers not gaining the proper depths on their routes, etc. i was so frustrated after one of our losses that i remarked how a team in wheelchairs could defend us. so yeah - started disliking Marrone when i thought he let Hilliard take the blame for the passing game.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Cuse guy so wanted him to work; would've been a cool story.

He's done/said a zillion things in the last 1.5yrs to convince me he's mostly incompetent. Starting with responding to Buscalia's 4th down/analytics question last year with [paraphrasing] "those #'s Brian Burke has don't factor in lost field position for turnover on downs" - which is of course laughably wrong.

Don't think I actually hated him until he leaked the contract clause on Monday though. That's all you need to know how much of a politician he is, how he can't wait to use his plants in the media. The whole political process and power play attempt bothers me way more than the opt-out itself (which doesn't really bother me at all) if that makes sense.

I became highly skeptical he would be successful the day he hired Hackett. Since then, I've been back and forth trying to find good in his tenure and withhold judgement. I officially disliked him the moment he quit on the team. That's when he finally put himself above the betterment of the team.

Now Bob, I have been watching the Bills with you for years. You are probably my best Bills Fan Friend. But I never said I hated Doug or Orton. Hackett, yes he had to go. I accepted Marrone as the coach and supported him. Orton just puzzled me. He had ability at times, but his best attribute seemed to be throwing the ball at Fred Jackson's feet.

You are correct. I should have said dislike, not hate.

I just hope we don't lose Schwartz and his defensive staff in all this. Let's hire a coach, retool the offense, and move forward.

I was always a bit underwhelmed by the guy. For all the hype, he struck me as a bit of an amateur. When I read that he changed the way of life at Syracuse, making them toe the line and wear suits, I thought whatever.

His first year? 6 wins? Not impressed.

But when he was at camp and making players run laps, yelling at Hughes, being an a-hole....didn't care for it. When I heard about him yelling at the other Doug in front of the team? That's when I disliked the guy. When he took it public.

I'm glad he's gone. Prima donna had to go.

9-7. liked that.

I was always a bit underwhelmed by the guy. For all the hype, he struck me as a bit of an amateur. When I read that he changed the way of life at Syracuse, making them toe the line and wear suits, I thought whatever.

His first year? 6 wins? Not impressed.

But when he was at camp and making players run laps, yelling at Hughes, being an a-hole....didn't care for it. When I heard about him yelling at the other Doug in front of the team? That's when I disliked the guy. When he took it public.

I'm glad he's gone. Prima donna had to go.

you're lashing out like a 10 year old. Lets just see if the next guy can beat 9-7. hope so.

I was very underwhelmed by him and his game management, but I thought he was really about the Bills organization and loyal. This latest move by "St. Doug" was not only a betrayal like Judas selling out for 30 pieces of silver, but then in addition, he stabbed the Bills organization in the back by telling Polian that it was dysfunctional. His season ending speech about Bills family rings very hollow....what a turncoat!!!!

Never liked the guy. He came here to implement an up tempo fast passed offense and did noting but slow it down to a stall. He went with the biggest and slowest offensive linemen he could find, went with the slowest QB he could find used Lee Smith more than any other TE - yes those are the ingredients you need for a fast passed up tempo offense.

Can't say I really disliked him until he left. I don't like the way the whole thing went down and it seems that Marrone has a very high opinion of himself. He didn't earn an extension. Still had a losing record over two season and still didn't make the playoffs. None of us knows what went on behind closed doors, but it seems he tried to put pressure on the owners and they weren't having it. Sucks to start over again, but in the long run it may be for the best as I don't believe Marrone was going to get us over the hump.

I can't understand those saying that Marrone is somehow disloyal, weak, etc., for leaving the Bills. Take the emotion out of it and how is it not an incredibly easy economic decision for him? That $4MM can go straight to the bank and take care of his children and grandchildren. If someone told you today that you could be cut a check for one year's pay and go find a comparable job tomorrow, what would you say?

It would depend on my relationship with my employer, employees, and co-workers as well as how much the job meant to me.

I'm a Cuse guy so wanted him to work; would've been a cool story.

He's done/said a zillion things in the last 1.5yrs to convince me he's mostly incompetent. Starting with responding to Buscalia's 4th down/analytics question last year with [paraphrasing] "those #'s Brian Burke has don't factor in lost field position for turnover on downs" - which is of course laughably wrong.

Don't think I actually hated him until he leaked the contract clause on Monday though. That's all you need to know how much of a politician he is, how he can't wait to use his plants in the media. The whole political process and power play attempt bothers me way more than the opt-out itself (which doesn't really bother me at all) if that makes sense.

It makes a lot of sense. The leak on Monday was ridiculous and I'm sure it drove Terry crazy. Good riddance you jerk.

Never liked him. What was to like? Hiring Hackett, an overeager amateur, as offensive coordinator, his baffling benching of Urbick, keeping Hairston on the bench when Henderson was struggling, stubbornly sticking with Colin Brown at guard when he was one of the worst guards in NFL history, his idiotic press conferences (it's hard to be that inarticulate), his game management, fourth-down cowardice... I hear what you're all saying about what was commendable about him, but I'm not persuaded at all. At best, it's been a matter of giving him the benefit of the doubt all along. Pettine then Schwartz have carried this team, making use of Whaley's personnel work (to be fair). Marrone has just been along for the ride, making obvious moves (like benching EJ) but just as often getting in the way or messing up, like cutting Tarvaris Jackson or playing footsie with Urbick.

In fact, one could argue the Bills won nine games DESPITE Marrone. His classless departure is a fitting coda to a mediocre tenure.

9-7. liked that.

you're lashing out like a 10 year old. Lets just see if the next guy can beat 9-7. hope so.

Lashing out like a 10 year old? I'm just being honest. When I read about that crap in training camp, I cringed. I remembered my high school coach. These are men out there.

right off the bat, i thought his PR skills handling the press was very troubling.

having said that, you are what your record says you are. at 9-7 he exceeded my expectations.

this jilted lover syndrome some fans have is weak.

i dont blame him one bit, he did us a favor by leaving now. he would have been gone after next year anyways and as a bonus we get a new OC.