Did Doug Marrone Quit on Buffalo Players?

HOUSE

Did Marrone quit on Buffalo players  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Did Doug Marrone Quit on Buffalo players ?

• Yes
    • No
    • I have my own feelings on this

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's simple man - he just didn't have an epiphany over night man. He must've had this in his mind for a while. Let the players know at the end of the season, in person, like a decent HUMAN BEING.

I suspect he had been plotting this move since Pegula's dog and family ran out on the field at the Ralph in their #1 Bills jerseys.

He could have called each one individually on the phone. He obviously had all their phone numbers.

Silly question. It's just business.

If he goes 5-11 next season with the Bills his career hits a major speed bump. Instead, he gets his full paycheck from the Bills for 2015 AND appears to have a very good shot at a new HC gig which likely comes with a new 4 year deal.

I thought it was unlikely to happen, but after looking at the situation now with his current prospects, it looks like a no-brainer move for Marrone.

It's not so much what you do, as how you do it that makes a move a dic* move or not. Marrone handled the situation w/o any class by: (1) basically blackmailing Pegula; (2) all year trying to act as Coach/GM; (3) telling the team of his departure via mass text; and (4) saying that the Bills organization was beyond repair upon leaving.

I suspect he had been plotting this move since Pegula's dog and family ran out on the field at the Ralph in their #1 Bills jerseys.

He could have called each one individually on the phone. He obviously had all their phone numbers.

I agree. Making phone calls isn't too much to ask is it? Heck, at least make phone calls to the leaders of the team, like MW, KW, Wood, etc. Christ is that too much to ask? Theres no defense for it in my mind.

It's not so much what you do, as how you do it that makes a move a dic* move or not. Marrone handled the situation w/o any class by: (1) basically blackmailing Pegula; (2) all year trying to act as Coach/GM; (3) telling the team of his departure via mass text; and (4) saying that the Bills organization was beyond repair upon leaving.

I agree with 1, 2, and 3

Where did he say 4?

I wouldn't put huge stock in Timmy Graham's anonymous source on twittering

As a business decision, you can't fault Marrone. If he had stayed, he would have effectively been working for free in 2015 (he gets the $4 million either way).

Plus, with no starting QB on the roster, the win total could have easily declined thus ruining his marketability.

So he got out then the getting was good.

Nonetheless, it feels like he quit on both his players and coaches. If Pegula had treated him unjustly in some way, you could rationalize it. But Pegs honored his contract. It was Marrone who suddenly decided that the contract he originally signed wasn't good enough.

I guess a 15-17 record can go to your head.

Do you hate the players when they hold out or ask for more money 2 years into a 4 year deal? Players do it all the time, yet fans always seem to side with the players by saying "pay the man, he had a good year" If this is what happened, how is it any different. Because it was Marrone and he seemed to rub people the wrong way it's way worse than when players do it? Everybody got what they wanted now, everyone will be happy until the Bills hit the basement next year, again!

Do you hate the players when they hold out or ask for more money 2 years into a 4 year deal? Players do it all the time, yet fans always seem to side with the players by saying "pay the man, he had a good year" If this is what happened, how is it any different. Because it was Marrone and he seemed to rub people the wrong way it's way worse than when players do it? Everybody got what they wanted now, everyone will be happy until the Bills hit the basement next year, again!

coaches contract guaranteed, players not.Huge diffrence

As a business decision, you can't fault Marrone. If he had stayed, he would have effectively been working for free in 2015 (he gets the $4 million either way).

Plus, with no starting QB on the roster, the win total could have easily declined thus ruining his marketability.

So he got out then the getting was good.

Nonetheless, it feels like he quit on both his players and coaches. If Pegula had treated him unjustly in some way, you could rationalize it. But Pegs honored his contract. It was Marrone who suddenly decided that the contract he originally signed wasn't good enough.

I guess a 15-17 record can go to your head.

Yup. It's not an either or question. Yes, Marrone quit on the organization. Yes, Marrone made a good business decision.

Exercised an option given to him by the Bills.

Yes, he exercised his option to quit on the organization.

Who here would give away $4 million without receiving something of value in exchange for it such as a promotion (increased authority) or security (contract extension)? What players are on the roster who would forego free agency and a big pay day for the sake of the team?

Marrone didn't quit on anyone or anything, he made a career decision that frankly, was a no brainer. Grow up folks, NFL franchises are not "teams" and they are not "family", they are businesses. Big, big businesses. Love Marrone or hate him, worship him or despise him, rejoice at his departure or go into mourning as you see fit but don't pretend that he did anything different than you would have done in the same position. By leaving, he will have more money and a new job with additional security and every one of us would do the same.

Edited by Mickey

First post!

Marrone exercised an option in his contract, one that will give him a free $4 Million. Hard to really fault him for that if he knew he would be able to get another HC job easily.

That being said, decisions like that come with consequences. Marrone had to know that opting out would instantly make him one of the most hated men in Buffalo. He knew he would be burning every bridge on his way out.

I think what bothers me is that he didn't leave with class. He could have released a statement with some generic "doing what's best for my family" wording. Instead he goes out ripping the organization. One that will probably look completely different in a year anyway because of the new owner. This team gave you shot in the NFL, apparently gave you a sweetheart contract, and this team gave you 9 wins and made you a "hot name" in the coaching searches. Show some class.

Players do it as part of the contractual process. They play, become free agents, then get to renegotiate or leave for a higher offer. But, that player full filled his commitment to the team, first. In the few cases when a player wants a new, higher contract a year or two after he signed; most all fans have called him out as well.

Hughes, for example, didn't quit (even if he leaves this winter). He played out his contract, worked his butt off, now its up to the team to re-sign him.

Marrone, on the other hand, is in the middle of a 4 yr contract. He didn't accomplish what he said he would - playoffs. He wanted to renegotiate and when the owner said not yet... he quit. What made that a viable option for him was his opt out clause, most people don't have a clause that says they get a year's pay if they quit. But, none the less, he took the money and ran. He didn't full fill the terms of his contract, nor did he accomplish his stated goals. He quit.

Who here would give away $4 million without receiving something of value in exchange for it such as a promotion (increased authority) or security (contract extension)? What players are on the roster who would forego free agency and a big pay day for the sake of the team?

Marrone didn't quit on anyone or anything, he made a career decision that frankly, was a no brainer. Grow up folks, NFL franchises are not "teams" and they are not "family", they are businesses. Big, big businesses. Love Marrone or hate him, worship him or despise him, rejoice at his departure or go into mourning as you see fit but don't pretend that he did anything different than you would have done in the same position. By leaving, he will have more money and a new job with additional security and every one of us would do the same.

Ask the players about this one. See how they respond....

That's the thing, he's not guaranteed another job in the NFL. And no, not all of us would do the same thing. If I was offered an option of a crazy severance package by my company but no other job was lined up, or the option to stay with the same company, the decision wouldn't be automatic.

This also wasn't his "last pay day". He made over a million a year at Syracuse as a HC. He could quite easily go back to college in the future and get another payday. He's a young coach, he's not a player with a shelf life of 3-4 years who'll be bagging groceries or delivering pizza after his playing career.

Pretty sure Bruce Smith, Andre Reed, and Thurma Thomas have already been asked if the Bills treated them like family.

whoa, ancient history lesson....

Marrone quit on the organization.

Marrone had 4,000,000 reasons to quit.

Marrone quit.