Is Whaley next?

gjv001

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much "heavy lifting" were they looking to do? Whaley is still very green as a GM and could use a mentor like Polian but to replace him with AJ seems ridiculous.

You are entirely correct about, what is the heavy lifting?

Unless that is a reference to this and Polian doesn't want to deal with this.

Tim Graham @ByTimGraham · 2h 2 hours ago

Power jockeys in Bills front office spoke ill of Polian in Marrone's presence. Marrone told Polian on way out. Polian told Pegula yesterday.

You would think that Pegula has to be very extremely unhappy about this and heads will roll....

If true I'd have to think that hurts Marrone's marketability. Trashing the house and shitting in the sink on your way out is a huge red flag for potential employers.

Screwing them over? Not really

Sure he would. The Hall of Fame is for retired players, coaches and executives. That's it. That's its purpose. The only reason he is not taking a job is because it would hurt his chances. They would say he's not retired. When he is, we will vote then. If now he says he is not going to take a job, only because he doesn't want to lose the vote, then as soon as the vote happens he takes the job and it's substantial enough that he is no longer really retired, he's totally screwing them over.

Don't forget new Stadium!

If only they could clear out old Press.

I hope if they replace GM he leaves instructions some of the Bills 'reporters' need to sit with opposition press.

Clayton "If it weren't for the HOF, he (Polian) would be hired by the Bills and be heavily involved in the coaching search"

Clayton is not the Gospel or very close to the Gospel if you believe as many do that the books were translated so many times with material added / removed that it bears little resemble to original text and meaning.

What from the sentence "GM Doug Whaley will lead the Bills HC search" makes it sound like DW Would be next?

There is also the story that the HC will "report directly to the owner," which is a huge mistake if that's the case. The Pegulas either need to come out in full support of Whaley or they need to fire him. This wishy-wash, in the middle approach isn't going to work.

No decent HC candidate is going to take a job with an organization if they fear the GM might get canned as a new GM will almost always want to bring in their own HC.

Personally, I hope they hold onto Whaley and I think he's done a good job but if they don't they need to fire him now and hire a new GM asap.

Sure he would. The Hall of Fame is for retired players, coaches and executives. That's it. That's its purpose.

Please do not confuse what you post with facts - it does not apply to all cases and specifically this case.

There is no mandatory retirement period for a contributor before he can be considered.

The only restriction is that a player and coach must have been retired at least five years before he can be considered. There is no mandatory retirement period for a contributor before he may be considered. - See more at: http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/SelectionProcessFAQ.aspx#sthash.8vGLMubp.dpuf

Directly from HOF website. Also use of male pronoun means Mrs Peg (or owner of Giants) is not qualified even she takes over after death of husband and her owning team for another 50 years.

The only restriction is that a player and coach must have been retired at least five years before he can be considered. There is no mandatory retirement period for a contributor before he may be considered. - See more at: http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/SelectionProcessFAQ.aspx#sthash.8vGLMubp.dpuf
Edited by Koolaid

That would have to be the old bastards who were around when Polian was, like Overdorf. It couldn't be Whaley, he never worked with him.

i doubt anyone here did either. doesn't stop them from bashing him. anyone threatened by him would likely fight him. these are football guys not diplomats.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe Pegula likes Whaley and didn't want to get rid of him and when he heard Polian talking about bringing in Smith, Pegula reminded Polian that he was just hiring his as an adviser, not to bring in his own cast. That ticked Polian off (which typically doesn't take much) Next thing you know, the entire deal ifs off and Polian is using the "heavy lifting" excuse to bow out gracefully.

if this were true, polian would never have been part of this picture, at least not publicly. polian's help was requested. if pegula didn't like some of his answers, the most likely course would be to ignore them, not publicly remove him from consideration for the job. i doubt he would do that out of hand. by asking for a consultant, he's admitted he's not an expert and desires advice. and if he truly removed polian from consideration because of this , it makes him look incompetent and weak, especially to coaching candidates.

Edited by birdog1960

Whaley's done a credible job to this point and he's only been calling the shots as GM for a short time. And I don't understand all the love for Polian. Sure, he built the team of the 90's but that was more than 20 years ago. As an older fan I enjoyed those best of times for the Bills but as far as I'm concerned he's yesterday's news. As for Whaley, with the exception of Manuel, and its a big exception which I never understood the choice, he's done a good job.

And Marrone opting out and allegedly shooting his mouth off - looking at the big picture no great loss. If true, I suspect this type of behavior is going to raise some red flags with a lot of perspective teams owners. You pay a guy $4M in severence the least he can do is use a little common sense and leave with a little grace and dignity.

Whaley's done a credible job to this point and he's only been calling the shots as GM for a short time. And I don't understand all the love for Polian. Sure, he built the team of the 90's but that was more than 20 years ago. As an older fan I enjoyed those best of times for the Bills but as far as I'm concerned he's yesterday's news. As for Whaley, with the exception of Manuel, and its a big exception which I never understood the choice, he's done a good job.

And Marrone opting out and allegedly shooting his mouth off - looking at the big picture no great loss. If true, I suspect this type of behavior is going to raise some red flags with a lot of perspective teams owners. You pay a guy $4M in severence the least he can do is use a little common sense and leave with a little grace and dignity.

you don't need to understand it. pegula's opinion is the only one that matters.

Sure he would. The Hall of Fame is for retired players, coaches and executives. That's it. That's its purpose. The only reason he is not taking a job is because it would hurt his chances. They would say he's not retired. When he is, we will vote then. If now he says he is not going to take a job, only because he doesn't want to lose the vote, then as soon as the vote happens he takes the job and it's substantial enough that he is no longer really retired, he's totally screwing them over.

Levy came back. I hardly think any of the hof voters cared.

Levy came back. I hardly think any of the hof voters cared.

That's a totally different scenario. I doubt any of them would care if a guy came out of retirement when offered a job he wasn't expecting. Not to mention Marv was put in as a coach not executive. The difference is they are considering putting him in there because he is retired. If the only reason he isn't taking the job now is to make the HOF believe he is retired, and then as soon as he is in says, oops, I had my fingers crossed, I'm not retired and takes the job, they will be furious. I would be.