Did the Bills get played by Orton?

Big Turk

Orton played the Cowboys last year and got to keep his bonus after they released him. Then he joins the Bills knowing they are desperate for a QB and parlays it into being the highest paid backup in the NFL. He starts 12 games, going 7-5, and then promptly retires without taking any questions on locker cleanout day leaving Whaley and Marrone befuddled...

Seems like he led the Bills to believe he was going to be here next year while he knew all along he probably wasn't...

Not that I am complaining, all he would have done next year is set us back another year in locating a QB to build around...

Ideally the Bills would have wanted to sign Orton to a 1 year deal with the Bills having an option to pick up the second year. I think the only way they signed Orton was to give him the option, he knew the Bills were desperate. No way did he "lead them on".

Edited by ricojes

If anything, Orton was extremely thoughtful and considerate by letting the Bills know his intentions immediately -- giving them full opportunity to start making plans. Compare and contrast how he treated Dallas.

All too often I wonder what folks are thinking when they start threads around here.

Orton played the Cowboys last year and got to keep his bonus after they released him. Then he joins the Bills knowing they are desperate for a QB and parlays it into being the highest paid backup in the NFL. He starts 12 games, going 7-5, and then promptly retires without taking any questions on locker cleanout day leaving Whaley and Marrone befuddled...

Seems like he led the Bills to believe he was going to be here next year while he knew all along he probably wasn't...

Not that I am complaining, all he would have done next year is set us back another year in locating a QB to build around...

I think he may have seen the writing on the wall that Hackett is not a experienced OC & saw that the offense under his inexperienced coaching would be going no where because he didn't know how to use the talent he had on hand so he bailed !!

Besides thats what its all about now , get as much money as you can as quick as you can & screw what ever team is the one standing there with their check book in hand .

You don't think Fitz was feeling any remorse while he was collecting two pay checks per year when the Bills let him go do you ?

Looking back they should have just kept him & paid out his contract they would have been in the same place as they are now !!

Edited by T master

threads like this get started, because some folks don't get it's not about the money , he came in did his job got paid, wants to go home end of story if there was more to tell, don't you think he would have told it, must be saving it for the book

threads like this get started, because some folks don't get it's not about the money , he came in did his job got paid, wants to go home end of story if there was more to tell, don't you think he would have told it, must be saving it for the book

I would buy his book, some of the party stories would be epic!

With the quality of the 2016 QB draft class (Connor Cook, Dak Prescott, Kevin Hogan, Christian Hackenberg), the Bills would be stupid to give away the farm for another also-ran QB in this off-season). I swear the sometimes the average fan knows more about college football than the Bills' front office does. What does their scouting department do on Saturdays?

I don't think he played us. When you have millions in the bank, perhaps the rigors of being an NFL athlete are a bit too much hassle for some people.

Edited by Dibs

They knew.

And who cares.

EJ had no business playing the finale---here's why. If he wins and plays well it could lead to a false sense of complacent optimism from the front office bc it would have been in a game you didn't get the Pats best. And 2 if he stunk, in that situation, it could completely ruin him.

Visions of Rob Johnson vs.Indy 1999!!!!!! Ever wonder how that changed the course of Bills history???? Worst decision ever.......

Please someone post about RJ's heroic 130 yard Playoff Game performance vs. Tennessee .....

They knew.

And who cares.

EJ had no business playing the finale---here's why. If he wins and plays well it could lead to a false sense of complacent optimism from the front office bc it would have been in a game you didn't get the Pats best. And 2 if he stunk, in that situation, it could completely ruin him.

Exactly. The FO was screwed either way if he played. If he wins- why was he sitting all year, he beat the Pats; if he loses - There is no hope at the QB position. Now they can try and sell us the line that he improved so much sitting under Orton that he is destined for greatness... if they can't sign or draft anyone else.

maybe Orton knew combining his ability, with Hackett's play calling, Marone's game decisions, and Sammy's drops that the team was going nowhere in 2015.

I think this is quite possible.

He looked really disgusted a lot of the time.

Maybe he just didn't want to sign up for more of this.

And maybe this O is actually worse than we think it is.

Could be more to it than just the O-line sucking badly.

A lot of those questions will be answered in 2015 if the current coaching staff returns.

He did by not telling them he planned to retire before the last game. Even marrone admitted he might have played EJ. I used to think romo was the problem in Dallas when issues were reported given what a media whore he is. But now that I see Orton's actions methinks he had something to do with it.

I think it was the exact opposite in that the Bills played Orton.

His first look at things were he was just going to be the backup, and the team had just drafted three O line players. Two RT's, and an OG. Then the Bills acquired an OG in free agency. He didn't know that all those moves would be bad ones. The one lone decent player was the 7th rounder.

Then you have to think he looked at last years offensive stats, and said to himself I can work in a dominate running scheme. Then only to find out that the Bills OC went pass happy crazy all season long.

Orton probably couldn't wait to get out of dodge.