Did the Bills get played by Orton?

Big Turk

Orton played the Cowboys last year and got to keep his bonus after they released him. Then he joins the Bills knowing they are desperate for a QB and parlays it into being the highest paid backup in the NFL. He starts 12 games, going 7-5, and then promptly retires without taking any questions on locker cleanout day leaving Whaley and Marrone befuddled...

Seems like he led the Bills to believe he was going to be here next year while he knew all along he probably wasn't...

Not that I am complaining, all he would have done next year is set us back another year in locating a QB to build around...

I would say no.

Orton was just as likely to suck/get hurt as he was to go 7-5. In a tight spot, with training camp ending and only one credible QB on the roster(EJ), Orton was the quick fix. The cost of quick fixes is usually directly related to scope and scale of the problems they fix.

As such, Super Glue costs $3.00. Orton costs...what he costs.

So, this multi-million dollar organization and none of management thought to check in with Orton as the season wound down to see what he is thinking. Or they did and he maybe fibbed a little.

When you manage with blinders on you get blind sided!

They knew.

And who cares.

EJ had no business playing the finale---here's why. If he wins and plays well it could lead to a false sense of complacent optimism from the front office bc it would have been in a game you didn't get the Pats best. And 2 if he stunk, in that situation, it could completely ruin him.

First, this only applies if Orton really retires. I assume if he comes back, it will be with the Bills, because otherwise, why not just decline the option and advertise to the league that you're available. Whaley should probe/inquire whether this is a play for more $$, and how much it would take to get him to un-consider-retiring. (Not saying we should pay any crazy amount, but its not like Whaley's schedule is too busy to make this important call).

But to the point, its possible we got the "rubber on the floor" treatment. The player option for year 2 might have been Orton's way of getting an extra pile of money if he got injured (sliding short of a first down) in year 1, to compensate for his diminished quality of life in retirement.

And come to think of it, I cant recall a single time when he stood in the pocket and took a big shot while delivering the ball downfield. And I dont recall him having so much as a hangnail all season. Hmmm.

Its not the same as what he did in Dallas, because in Buffalo he didnt have a big bonus that he was trying to avoid re-paying.

Edited by maddenboy

So, this multi-million dollar organization and none of management thought to check in with Orton as the season wound down to see what he is thinking. Or they did and he maybe fibbed a little.

What would change if we knew he was leaving?

What blinders? Here's what Marrone had to say about Orton not coming back on December 24th:

http://www.democrata...anuel/20831443/

"Thus, with nothing on the line against the Patriots, logic dictates that Marrone should start Manuel and give the second-year player a chance to make a statement heading into the offseason, particularly since Orton may choose not to return to Buffalo in 2015. Orton has a player option on the two-year contract he signed in August and could decide to test the free agent market, leaving the Bills with only Manuel and Tuel on the roster."

"Those things are for after the season's over, you look back and evaluate those things,"
said Marrone of the possibility of losing Orton and starting the OTAs in March with only the two young quarterbacks.
"Right now I haven't put a lot of time into it. That will be discussed in the offseason. I haven't discussed that with Doug (Whaley), or Russ (Brandon), or anyone yet. I haven't put much thought into it."
Edited by Lurker

Dude, no. He didn't play the Bills at all.

He didn't come knocking down the Bills door trying to get a job, they went out and got him. It was a desperate move by a desperate team, and he did his job and got them through the season.

I have no problems with Orton. He's not good enough to be a starting NFL QB, but he didn't do anything wrong.

I don't think Orton played the Bills, but I do think that Kolb did when he was here. I think Kolb's intent in coming here was to hopefully sit the bench the whole year and collect a huge salary for doing it. He obviously didn't plan on getting a concussion, but I truly believe he would have been happy with a lesser injury forcing him to the bench for the rest of the year. Just my opinion.

I honestly think Orton wants to protect his health and move on with his life. The $5 million he banked this year is a lot of money, and he's a bright guy. He'll be fine. He had a good run for a mid-round pick. By abandoning his job as gypsy QB, he also doesn't have to fret about additional concussions further increasing his chances of getting CTE anymore.

Edited by dave mcbride