Marrone may opt out?

Wiz

Schefter is on NFL channel on Sirius, says there would be a great demand for him with all the hc openings. Says it's not a foregone conclusion that he doesn't opt out. It is speculation, but I wish we could be so lucky.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be either. In some ways I hope he does. If if were a year ago, I probably wouldn't have said that, because of the ralph situation.

I dunno. I think he's a decent coach.

who is hiring this guy ? He is fine but I don't see a team trying to steal him away

Mr pegula will frack under their houses

My sense is that he's far better regarded in the NFL than he is on this board.

We get to 9-7 in the first time in a decade and people hope the coach quits. Mike Mularkey did that to the Bills.. how did that work out?

The difference is that now, the Bills job is a lot better to other coaches than it used to be. There will no longer be salary restraints on the HC or especially assistants. There is tremendous more stability. There is no longer any worry that he wouldn't be able to keep players he wanted. The facilities and travel will improve. The cupboard is far from bare, and has one of the best defenses already in place. There is a lot to like about the Buffalo job despite the QB factor.

I wouldn't be either. In some ways I hope he does. If if were a year ago, I probably wouldn't have said that, because of the ralph situation.

Think about it - he has 3 days to do this, he doesn't know if the GM will stick around, there's a chance that a senior citizen who has been out of the league for a few years and working in the broadcasting world will be his new boss (but who is currently denying it), and his QB just retired. (Does this sound familiar?) He knows he's regarded as a good coach (partly because of his 9-7 record), and I suspect someone will be happy to hire him.

PS - he's smart enough to know that you need a QB to succeed. The Bills don't have one and there are none on the immediate horizon.

Edited by dave mcbride

Think about it - he has 3 days to do this, he doesn't know if the GM will stick around, there's a chance that a senior citizen who has been out of the league for a few years and working in the broadcasting world will be his new boss (but who is currently denying it), and his QB just retired. (Does this sound familiar?) He knows he's regarded as a good coach (partly because of his 9-7 record), and I suspect someone will be happy to hire him.

I think that he and Whaley do not get along despite what they say. I think he would jump at any chance on any team to be the HC and have a say in personnel matters more than he does now. If anyone offers him that, he will jump at it. I doubt anyone offers him that.

There is also a decent chance that Whaley tells him Hackett has to go. I was surprised by what Marrone said (more the way he said it) about the assistant coaches. If Whaley or Pegula says Hackett has to go, I bet Marrone opts out and takes him with him.

I don't predict this will happen. But if either of those two things happen, I think he opts out.