QB search.....no trust in Whaley to get it right

rcatty

Even the best GM's can struggle to find a QB. QB is the hardest position to find. A ton of top draft choices at that position are busts. Finding QB's in later rounds is almost impossible (A Tom Brady or even a Russell Wilson type is a once a decade type thing). Even Good QB's also almost never become free agents let alone franchise QB's (A Drew Brees situation is probably never going to happen again). The only other option is trading for a QB, and you are either trading for a teams high profile backup, or trading for a revival project (Both usually don't work out).

EJ is your QB or you have to draft one in the 2nd round, grab a QB in free agency, or trade for one. Cutler leads the pack as far as free agents, although Mark Sanchez, Jake Locker, Brian Hoyer, and Mike Vick are options. As far as trades go RGIII is your best option and isn't going to come at a cheap price. As far as round 2 QB's I think they wouldn't be much of an upgrade over EJ and that pick would likely be better off used to address OG or TE both serious needs.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now we are really in a hole. We have no first round pick, and Whaley has shown he can't be trusted on choosing/finding a QB. The only solution might be to find the best consultant type scout(s) out there, and task them with the sole objective of identifying viable candidates. One can't leave this to our scouting department alone.

the other 20 or so teams still looking for a top notch QB probably never thought of this.

Some around here talk like there are great QBs floating around to be had and the Bills just stubbornly refuse to go get one.

It is pretty rare that a true star QB becomes available and then you have to be lucky and aggressive to be in position to nab him. Why do you think that we all pine for another Jim Kelly? It's because he is the best QB that this franchise ever had by a wide margin. That really isn't atypical either. Who has Miami had at QB since Dan Marino left?

I am confident that pretty much all these "clueless GMs" know that their team would be much better with Manning, Brady, Rodgers or Brees at QB.

I understand being frustrated, but who is there to get? And before we go to, "if we only had this year's 19th pick...", who specifically would you think will be available there?

Edited by OldTimer1960

Even the best GM's can struggle to find a QB. QB is the hardest position to find. A ton of top draft choices at that position are busts. Finding QB's in later rounds is almost impossible (A Tom Brady or even a Russell Wilson type is a once a decade type thing). Even Good QB's also almost never become free agents let alone franchise QB's (A Drew Brees situation is probably never going to happen again). The only other option is trading for a QB, and you are either trading for a teams high profile backup, or trading for a revival project (Both usually don't work out).

EJ is your QB or you have to draft one in the 2nd round, grab a QB in free agency, or trade for one. Cutler leads the pack as far as free agents, although Mark Sanchez, Jake Locker, Brian Hoyer, and Mike Vick are options. As far as trades go RGIII is your best option and isn't going to come at a cheap price. As far as round 2 QB's I think they wouldn't be much of an upgrade over EJ and that pick would likely be better off used to address OG or TE both serious needs.

Honestly, I think the solution is the Bill in NYC method this year. Draft all OL, all FA should be our own defense and then OL. And then find guys on the street for OL.

Have like 30 OL at camp, and just take the best 5.

Because let's face it. The OL is -THE- problem on offense. They can't pass protect. They can't block on screens, they can't run block. There wasn't anything they could do right.

And that only happened because the Chargers thought his arm might fall off.

Also, Cutler is not a free agent, he just re-signed a huge deal just about a year ago now. He very well may be available via trade though but I highly doubt he gets flat out cut.

Edited by Mark80

Now we are really in a hole. We have no first round pick, and Whaley has shown he can't be trusted on choosing/finding a QB. The only solution might be to find the best consultant type scout(s) out there, and task them with the sole objective of identifying viable candidates. One can't leave this to our scouting department alone.

Why can't he be trusted? The guy has been the GM for one season. EJ wasn't his pick and from all indications Marrone wanted Orton.

I doubt anyone who is available to us is better than EJ right now, and EJ has the most familiarity with our offense. The idea is to bring in competition, and EJ to show his superiority via familiarity and development. If he doesn't, then said vet FA pickup starts, and we stay mediocre. You're way too passionate about EJ being a failure, when the book has not been written on him yet. It's not like he's a dumpster fire.

Might be a bit of stretching the truth claiming what Marrone and Hackett showed everyone for the past two years an "offense" Correct me if I am wrong but I did not notice any staring down by Woods at the QB once they mercifully pulled Manuel for the season. yea, lots of good familiarity with that pathetic offense will help a guy that IMO is just going to hold the growth of this team down. Until Whaley, etc. finally eat it and let him go.

Maybe he has a future in the arena league? He has no chance of becoming a starting NFL caliber QB. I think someone on OBD already knows this. Yep, he is a dumpster fire IMO.

Good GM's miss on first round QB's. Ozzie Newsome selected Kyle Boller in '03, but it didn't set back the organization for 5 years because when it became clear Boller wasn't going to cut it, they acquired McNair who played in '06 and '07. But Newsome didn't miss in '08 when Baltimore selected Flacco. They've managed to be a solid team a long time, reaching the playoffs in 8 of the past 12 years and having a losing record twice in that span.

And yes, having a good defense cushions the blow of not having an elite QB, but it doesn't totally make up for it either. Baltimore was very good in those 12 seasons.

You would have been abusing Flacco for 3-4 straight years, and abusing Whaley for drafting Flacco for 3-4 straight years.

You would have been abusing Flacco for 3-4 straight years, and abusing Whaley for drafting Flacco for 3-4 straight years.

Flacco was a quality starting QB almost immediately. Manuel being the tallest midget in his draft class doesn't mean Whaley/Bills had to draft him in 1st round. Only organizations dumb enough to draft QB's that high in the 2013 draft were Bills and Jets. Jets GM just got fired today. Without a viable QB, is 9-7 that much different than 4-12 when assessing the future?

Flacco was a quality starting QB almost immediately. Manuel being the tallest midget in his draft class doesn't mean Whaley/Bills had to draft him in 1st round. Only organizations dumb enough to draft QB's that high in the 2013 draft were Bills and Jets. Jets GM just got fired today. Without a viable QB, is 9-7 that much different than 4-12 when assessing the future?

You still haven't identified the mystery super QB that Nix and Whaley passed on - other than Russell Wilson - and i would venture to say that he is a very good game manager that runs the ball very effectively, but he isn't ask d to carry his tem to victory like Brady, Manning, Rodgers and Bree's are. I'd say Wilson is a very good QB for his situation and that he is a great leader. Ok, so one guy they really should have drafted - please note though that every other team passed on him twice by round 3

Oh KtD.

The Ravens made the playoffs Flacco's first 5 years, so it'd be hard for me to give Flacco a hard time.

Right now I'd take 1 playoff appearance every 2-3 years.

We need a QB first, Two guards second and a massive TE upgrade. But before ANYTHING...we need a QB

So that's two QB's or a QB from the first after we have a QB who's there before anything, first. Right?

:flirt:

You and me both brother...

Oh KtD.

The Ravens made the playoffs Flacco's first 5 years, so it'd be hard for me to give Flacco a hard time.

I was kidding. I should have put a wink in there. That said, raven fans were calling for his head in the middle of the year that they won the SB.

Dalton has played 64 games and thrown 66 int's and he has one of the best WRs in the NFL. All he has to do is throw jump balls to Green and he can't even do that right. For the year 19 TDs 17 INTs. Ooh the horror of passing on him.

Dalton also would have gotten us into the playoffs this season.

I was kidding. I should have put a wink in there. That said, raven fans were calling for his head in the middle of the year that they won the SB.

And I can see why. He was so-so those first few seasons and I'd argue he's not worth what they're paying for him. But he played well at the end in 2012, they got a fortuitous bounce at Denver, and beat John Harbaugh's brother in the SB.

The Doug's are doing a good job with this team upgrading the overall talent level and trying to get the most out of players. Do other vaunted GM's miss on picks? Yes. Do other GM's miss on FA signings? Yes. I still point to last season where we were all calling for Crossman's head, myself included, and this year the ST's unit was one of the best in the league. Maybe Hackett just needs a little bit more of a shift in personell. I think it's just a matter of the two parties, the Doug's, working TOGETHER to get the team what we need. Let's not forget how absolutely terrible Whaley shafted Indy into giving us Hughes for Shepherd and many of the other moves made to better this team/defense overall. Watkins is gonna be an All Pro if not next year, by his 3rd season. We get two OG's, Kiko back on this defense, have a QB on the roster show he is atleast above average, and the Bills are a legit contender.

Edited by H2o

For all the negative posters, imagine if we had drafted Blake Bortles this year and he put up the statistics that he did in Jacksonville!

59% completions, 11 TDs, 17 INTs, 6.1 Yds/Attempt.

I am SURE that Jax will be cutting or benching him soon! (Sarcasm).

It takes some time and patience to see how a young QB will develop. Sometimes that patience pays off and other times it doesn't, but for as important as QB is, I'd think patience would be prudent.

The Bills definitely need to bring in some sort of veteran QB and likely draft another QB, but let's see what EJ Manuel can do. Unless an established QB like Sam Bradford became available by trade, I don't see a much better option than this.

Edited by OldTimer1960

Just curious, but in Whaleys tenure as GM, what QB did he whiff on? As in what should have been the decision. I know Geno had a career day yesterday, but Manuel might be the best QB in his draft class. Doesn't mean he will be the guy, but he is the only one with hope at this point. So the guy drafts the best QB in the class, and is untrustworthy. What available FA's and QBs did the franchise miss out on?

The complaining without a reasonable solution needs to stop.

:thumbsup: