We lost today

Webster Guy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ should play when he beats out Orton. Until then he sits. Its that simple.

And when will we know if he has? The coach would have to give him the opportunity. I'm not comparing them in the least, but Kurt Warner never got a real chance to beat out several QBs before he became the guy he was.

The difference is that EJ has developed a reputation with his coach that might be hard to undo. I hope Marrone will really be giving everyone the best chance and not making the "safe move" of playing the veteran simply because it is safe on paper.

And when will we know if he has? The coach would have to give him the opportunity. I'm not comparing them in the least, but Kurt Warner never got a real chance to beat out several QBs before he became the guy he was.

The difference is that EJ has developed a reputation with his coach that might be hard to undo. I hope Marrone will really be giving everyone the best chance and not making the "safe move" of playing the veteran simply because it is safe on paper.

Unfortunately for EJ, you don't too many chances. He may never get another opportunity with Buffalo, or Orton may get hurt next preseason... you don't know. There may have been many possible Kurt Warners that never got a chance, but that's life in the NFL. You earn your chance in practice and maybe because of injury. Coaches can't risk losing a game and maybe their job just to see if someone will play well, if they don't , they might have screwed themselves over.

Dropped further down the draft board, and watched our arch rival get valuable NFL experience for their bench QB while ours sat on the sideline the entire game.

Our Oline did a pretty good job today in protection, it wouldn't have been like we were throwing EJ to the wolves.

Did Orton need more playing time so we can evaluate him, or did EJ?

Moves like this are so painfully shortsighted its laughable.

In regards to dropping down the draft board, I'd normally agree with you. However, let me remind you; We don't have a first round draft pick this upcoming off-season. We traded it away for Sammy, remember?

The fact that this win actually screws the Browns a little bit should make you SMILE :D

Dropped further down the draft board, and watched our arch rival get valuable NFL experience for their bench QB while ours sat on the sideline the entire game.

Our Oline did a pretty good job today in protection, it wouldn't have been like we were throwing EJ to the wolves.

It just goes to show how much better a coach Belichick is than Marrone. Belichick understood that beating a bad team in a meaningless game only hurts the franchise, so he tanked the game and lost. The man's a genius.

Unfortunately for EJ, you don't too many chances. He may never get another opportunity with Buffalo, or Orton may get hurt next preseason... you don't know. There may have been many possible Kurt Warners that never got a chance, but that's life in the NFL. You earn your chance in practice and maybe because of injury. Coaches can't risk losing a game and maybe their job just to see if someone will play well, if they don't , they might have screwed themselves over.

I'm with you until I look longer and harder at this season. I see a guy on his 5th chance leading this team to as dismal offensive performances as I have ever seen. I have to believe that EJ could do better. He could do worse, too, but I just found it terrifically unproductive to pursue a future with Orton. He was a stabilizing force early on, but I don't think that the team will progress any further with him. I'd love to be proven wrong no matter what. Maybe he'll work on his arm strength and his mobility over the offseason, and maybe a full offseason program with the team would work wonders. I would not bet on it with a guy his age, though.

It just goes to show how much better a coach Belichick is than Marrone. Belichick understood that beating a bad team in a meaningless game only hurts the franchise, so he tanked the game and lost. The man's a genius.

I see what you just did there.

Well Marrone does seem him daily in practice and we dont.

A fisherman ... sitting in a boat ... drifting slowly with his line in the water, following behind.

That's true, but we all saw Orton go three-and-out countless, consecutive times last weekend. And that wasn't an isolated incident.

I'm just more inclined to believe that Marrone is valuing the veteran intangibles -- the leadership, how he conducts meetings, what he knows, etc -- over the actual onfield performance. That is not to say that I believe EJ is outperforming him in practice -- if he even has that opportunity. It's just that I think Marrone leans toward the safe play rather than to let his QB learn on the job and make mistakes while doing so. I also believe that he thought no matter what, to return to EJ would look like "not sticking to his guns," and would alienate the vets.

Practice isnt game situations. C'mon many a great player are gamers and dont practice well. 2-2 as a starter season isnt that bad. We need to see more. Orton has plenty of games on tape all very similar to todays. Edited by RuffMuff

Practice isnt game situations. C'mon many a great player are gamers and dont practice well. 2-2 as a starter season isnt that bad. We need to see more. Orton has plenty of games on tape all very similar to todays.

how is everyone forgetting EJ's games? Has it been that long? Yes he was so bad that he made Orton look good! He has not been magically transformed on the bench!

Practice isnt game situations. C'mon many a great player are gamers and dont practice well. 2-2 as a starter season isnt that bad. We need to see more. Orton has plenty of games on tape all very similar to todays.

He sucked this season and arguably cost us the Houston game. I'm not all-in on Orton, but I don't think EJ gets us to 9 - 7.

how is everyone forgetting EJ's games? Has it been that long? Yes he was so bad that he made Orton look good! He has not been magically transformed on the bench!

EJ should be progressing in practice, you think young player dont get better in practice? Rookie year and 4 games is enough? No growth? Just dump and go?