Marrone & Hackett ruined Spiller as a Bill.

Tipster19

Didn't CJ fumble on 4 carries last week?

Our offense isn't 29th in the league yards per play 2 years running under Hackett?

True, we have had competition. But there's a flip side.

I think we've got blown out once (14+ point loss) in Marrone's tenure. I would argue that that's pretty darn abnormal.

Good thing he has all that talent on the defensive side of the ball, coaching included.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's put it to a vote. Who wants the Bills to re-sign Spiller and who doesn't care if he leaves in FA? I want him to be re-signed.

I vote for re-signing him, but not for big money. I don't know what RBs get these days, but I don't think he is worth top ten money for the Bills.

I was looking at RB stats on nfl.com, and it was interesting. Spiller comes in at a very good average, but he also has more runs >20 yards and >40 yards than most RBs. To me, that implies that he must have more rushes for almost no yards, or maybe even negative yards, compared to most RBs. That is the problem, he doesn't realize that the play is breaking down, so just hit the line and try to get one or two yards. Instead he tries to bounce it outside, which statistically is not a good idea. He is getting better at just hitting the line and settling for one or two yards, but he still has that "dance and get tackled" situation too often.

There was a story that when Shanahan was in Denver, he told Terrell Davis that he was only allowed one cut, then he had to square his shoulders and see what he could get.

Of course, having Spiller plow into the line is a dumb tactic, but if that is the play that is called, then he has to accept that it is going to hurt and go for it.

I vote for re-signing him, but not for big money. I don't know what RBs get these days, but I don't think he is worth top ten money for the Bills.

I was looking at RB stats on nfl.com, and it was interesting. Spiller comes in at a very good average, but he also has more runs >20 yards and >40 yards than most RBs. To me, that implies that he must have more rushes for almost no yards, or maybe even negative yards, compared to most RBs. That is the problem, he doesn't realize that the play is breaking down, so just hit the line and try to get one or two yards. Instead he tries to bounce it outside, which statistically is not a good idea. He is getting better at just hitting the line and settling for one or two yards, but he still has that "dance and get tackled" situation too often.

There was a story that when Shanahan was in Denver, he told Terrell Davis that he was only allowed one cut, then he had to square his shoulders and see what he could get.

Of course, having Spiller plow into the line is a dumb tactic, but if that is the play that is called, then he has to accept that it is going to hurt and go for it.

You'd think after five years of film on him, on your own team, it may appear to be a trend as to what works and what perhaps does not.

Jamaal Charles

Jim Brown

Mercury Morris

Gayle Sayers

Barry Sanders

Adrian Peterson

That is every single running back in the modern era that has a career average of 5.0 or more yards per carry. Spiller's career average is 5.0

If you can find a fluke in that list, let me know.

His career ain't over. He'll be out of that group soon enough.

Edited by FireChan

Tipster my friend, here is my vote: I can't say that want to sign him, nor can I say that I don't care if he leaves.

Place me I the camp who cannot wait until he is cut and takes his expensive, counter productive ass out of Buffalo. Say what you will about Bryce Brown, but my guess is that he could have picked up more than -4 yds. on the ground against the Raiders.

Call me crazy.......

Edited by Bill from NYC

Same thing with Marshawn Lynch. Many on this board thought he was a washed up, malcontent and helped run him out of town. Let's get someone in here to know how to utilize Spiller, Woods and Watkins talents and speed. Someone who knows how to work with the offensive linemen and get the best out of them. Wood, Glenn, Richardson, Henderson and Kouandjio were considered top prospects coming out of college there is no way they should be looking so pedestrian. And last but not least, let's get a TE that can not only block but can be a viable receiving threat

Same thing with Marshawn Lynch. Many on this board thought he was a washed up, malcontent and helped run him out of town. Let's get someone in here to know how to utilize Spiller, Woods and Watkins talents and speed. Someone who knows how to work with the offensive linemen and get the best out of them. Wood, Glenn, Richardson, Henderson and Kouandjio were considered top prospects coming out of college there is no way they should be looking so pedestrian. And last but not least, let's get a TE that can not only block but can be a viable receiving threat

And Antowain Smith before that

Pretty incredible for a guy who has always sucked, and doesn't know how to run or see holes or follow blocks or break tackles, and has maybe one good year in five, is on that list.

Don't be ridiculous. You and I both know Spiller's talent exists. He simply doesn't have the consistency in him. He misses holes a ton. He can't block. Those are things that are true.

I don't think he's lacking in talent. I think he's not living up to his potential. It's a big difference. He's sucking when he should be great.

Edited by FireChan

Tipster my friend, here is my vote: I can't say that want to sign him, nor can I say that I don't care if he leaves.

Place me I the camp who cannot wait until he is cut and takes his expensive, counter productive ass out of Buffalo. Say what you will about Bryce Brown, but my guess is that he could have picked up more than -4 yds. on the ground against the Raiders.

Call me crazy.......

Hey Bill, before I forget, Merry Christmas to you and your family. I don't know, I don't want to beleague my point but could it be that our coaches aren't very good? I feel that we have too many players underperforming. If it was only Spiller that wasn't producing satisfactory then I would take it with a grain of salt. I don't think Fred is setting the world on fire either but his heart is getting him some results. I find it hard that we have 5 OL that blow, especially that a few of them have performed rather decently in the past. At some point the Coach and OC have to take some accountability. We don't seem to have any problem with our defense the last 2 years. Coincidence?? I think not.

Call me crazy.......

Ditto this.

Jamaal Charles

Jim Brown

Mercury Morris

Gayle Sayers

Barry Sanders

Adrian Peterson

That is every single running back in the modern era that has a career average of 5.0 or more yards per carry. Spiller's career average is 5.0

If you can find a fluke in that list, let me know.

Ohhh!!! Ohhhh!!!

Meeee!!! Meeee!!!!

***raises hand***

The fluke is CJ Spiller

Done.

If we retain the current offensive coaches, let him go.

If we get a new offensive coaching staff, bring him back for 4 mill a year max

Exactly, Spiller is not an all purpose back, he is a situational back. If you design plays to get him in space he is a exceptional talent. If you plan on using him as a bulldozer back up the middle he is quite useless.

Either get coaches that design their offense around the strengths of their players rather than simply design plays and expect to plug players into the assigned generic roles, or let Spiller (and others) walk.

This coaching regime is not able to adapt and be flexible. They believe that you make a plan and simply plug and play the players in the generic scheme reguardless of strength and weaknesses of the individual players they actually have, rather than they wish they had . They expect players to be all purpose at their position. Not as special talents that can have plays designed that take advantage of those special talents.

If Spiller is matched with the right coach he will be an All Pro. Unfortunately I doubt that will happen here in Buffalo.

Edited by simpleman

Let Go..he was a draft pick mistake, mediocre at best, perhaps a decent slot guy..Its not anyone's fault he can't execute as a featured back

He is a gadget player with no pass protection skills, poor vision, fumbles, and gets banged up. As for the Chan Gailey love, he was vilified for his usage of CJ by many. I laugh at how that has been forgotten. He would take CJ out inside the 30 almost every time. People hated his 5 wide on 3rd and short. They hated how few carries he would get in any game. "He is averaging 6 yards a carry! Feed him the ball!" was the mantra, and yet he was only effective on draw plays out of the shotgun with Fitz throwing most of the time.

True. Gailey was a much more creative OC. Too bad his career path means he will never accept an OC position again. Schwartz and Gailey and your in the playoffs, no doubt. Coaching in the NFL doesnt work that way though.

Spiller belongs in space. Hopefully next season....he can "blow up" "in space" for another team.

He probably will. MarshawnLynch 2.0. It all gets back to the QB and the OLine. If you don't respect the QB, you play the run, which makes the OL appear bad. The League is totally geared to the QB position. If you have a good one and a good offensive scheme, you succeed, unless your D or ST stink, then you stink as well. Tough game.

Edited by 8and8Forever