Marrone & Hackett ruined Spiller as a Bill.

Tipster19

And I hate them for that probably more than anything else that they did during their time here. Why, why in the world do they consistently try to run him between the Tackles??! Why they don't EVER design plays that gets him out into space is beyond me! It really is and I will never understand it. It's almost like they are trying to run him out of town. I have great questions about that whole Mike Williams thing as well. It's like when they get a big up their ass they just quit on the player. Well as a fan I'm quitting on them (Martone & Hackett).

It's Marrone, he has to have these big OL so he can have a power running game and they can't block for ****. We got a QB that can't throw 10 yards accurately and only throws down field when we're desperate and have no choice. Seriously, how many times in a game does Orton throws down the field when he doesn't have to??!

When Spiller leaves here, and he will be leaving, it's going to make a lot of people around here sick to their stomachs when they see him blowing up for some other team. It will be the worse salt in the wound of the RBs that we drafted and just let them go for pennies on the dollar. The real bite in the ass here is that we are going to let Spiller leave and get absolutely ZERO for him! What a freaking bad joke is that??!!! Before anyone wants to point out that the guy gets hurt let me say, especially under Marrone's watch, is that the guy gets hurt is because he tries too hard. He's desperate to do do good for us because he loves it here and wants to be a Bill. Am I missing something here??! The guy is the kind of person and played that we want here and our idiots just misuse him and then he gets ran out of town for trying to be what we want him to be! Ha, if I were, and I won't but IF I were to ever turn my back on this franchise Marrone and this thing that I speak of about Spiller would be one of the bigger reason why.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So when Spiller got 933 yards last year on a bad leg and sharing carries with Fred Jackson, he was ruined?

Hard to judge him on this year, but I certainly wouldn't blame Marrone. Cliff only had 73 carries and he coughed it up 3 times.

Don't get me wrong; I think he's been misused, too. But he was effective last year and he was somewhat effective in the less than 1/2 season he played this year.

I hope he opts to stick around and I hope the Bills extend him.

So when Spiller got 933 yards last year on a bad leg and sharing carries with Fred Jackson, he was ruined?

Hard to judge him on this year, but I certainly wouldn't blame Marrone. Cliff only had 73 carries and he coughed it up 3 times.

Don't get me wrong; I think he's been misused, too. But he was effective last year and he was somewhat effective in the less than 1/2 season he played this year.

I hope he opts to stick around and I hope the Bills extend him.

When you have game breaking speed being effective isn't enough. The guy should be a game breaker and he's not, it's pathetic. It's like using Secretariat for pony rides.

When you have game breaking speed being effective isn't enough. The guy should be a game breaker and he's not, it's pathetic. It's like using Secretariat for pony rides.

What? TJ Graham has speed too, I don't see him leading the lead in yards.

CJ Spiller is and always has been responsible for his own usage. His BCV is bad, he constantly misses the holes or picks the wrong one, and he tries to break a long one every play he gets, which is why he gets 0 or -2 yards all the time. He suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks at pass-pro, so he's a terrible third down back. Those are all on him, not the coaches.

Now, our O-line sucks at screen blocking, which is a chief reason why getting the ball "in space," doesn't work. Still, to be an NFL RB you need to be able to run between the tackles. Hell, even Chan had CJ run between the tackles ~70% of the time.

So, I reject your thesis, your "I'll never forgive this coaching staff for ruining a great player who has had 1 good year in his entire 5 year career with two separate staffs," rant. It's patently untrue, full of wishful thinking and "potential" that amount to nothing more substantial than faerie dust.

Edited by FireChan

Mind if I ask you what, exactly, is wrong with pony rides?

During the playoff drought the BIlls have had a long history of mismanaging the Running Back position. We had Travis Henry (2001-2004) but Donahoe jumped at the bait and took Willis McGahee (2003-2006 did not play rookie season) with the Bills 1st. Henry went on to have several productive seasons elsewhere prior to getting into too much trouble with the law. And McGahee moved on to a few more seasons mostly with the Ravens. Then we drafted Lynch (2007-2010) who wore out his welcome here and got traded for table scraps while Nix jumped to the podium in 10 seconds or so to draft Spiller (2010-2014), a guy advertised as having speed and elusiveness that rarely got to showcase that ability. Quietly through this Fred Jackson (2007-2014) has been a steady force.

My feelings about sigining or not signing Spiller are mixed. If we're going to have the same offense with the same coordinator with the same set of plays next season he might as well go someplace else because they probably won't make effective use of him. If we're going to get some new blood on the sidelines managing the offense that can design plays to maximize the production of the players based on their strengths then I say re-sign CJ..

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

But Bryce Brown will save the day! He fits Hackett's "system."

What "system" is that, the fumbling & stumbling system??! They're both are pretty good at that. Picturing Hackett calling the plays next year and Brown running the ball for him just made me puke in my mouth.

What "system" is that, the fumbling & stumbling system??! They're both are pretty good at that. Picturing Hackett calling the plays next year and Brown running the ball for him just made me puke in my mouth.

Didn't CJ fumble on 4 carries last week?

Edited by FireChan

These threads are getting painful. Our entire offensive unit has been a disorganized mess this entire year. Buckets of blame to go around.

Things really went pear shaped when they benched EJ and the staff seemingly gave up on him. Orton had a couple of not terrible games, so everyone hopped on the EJ just sux bus. Good staffs get the most out of their players, through preparation and game plan. Then when the players start beliving they play for each other. Not this second guessing, its his fault, no your fault no his fault crap.

Edited by mastershake

I keep hearing about this "game breaking speed" Spiller supposedly has but I have not once witnessed it in his career. He's had some nice runs and has some quickness. But he is not a home run threat. He has never in his career taken a ball the length of the field for a TD like Hill did last night for Cincy. He gets 40 yards and gets caught from behind (maybe he gets winded). Spiller is, by far, the most over rated player in the history of the Buffalo Bills (with the possible exception of Doug Flutie). Spiller has never been a game changer and has never demonstrated being worthy of a top 10 pick. He had 1 tremendous season. There are countless UDFAs who have put up better production than Spiller. Seems like a nice kid. Not real bright and not really the weapon he was purported to me. Good Riddance to him.