We need a coach who can win without a superstar QB, and I have one in

peterpan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of good points guys. I too would love Gus Malszeon or however you spell it. Sumlin or the Baylor coach would be good too. I just think that out of all ofthem, Meyer has Been better over a longer period of time, at multiple programs.

And Bills_roc, I wanted the bills to purposely go 0-16 that year and draft luck, but we didn't unfortunately!

Lots of good points guys. I too would love Gus Malszeon or however you spell it. Sumlin or the Baylor coach would be good too. I just think that out of all ofthem, Meyer has Been better over a longer period of time, at multiple programs.

I also know the Meyer and Belicheat are pals of sorts and share a lot of knowledge. That is another reason I really like Meyer! A lo of his players had a lot of success in this league.

And Bills_roc, I wanted the bills to purposely go 0-16 that year and draft luck, but we didn't unfortunately!

You say that "maybe pro defenses are too much for the spread".

Maybe they are maybe they aren't.

But I say that pro defenses are too much for 75% of this leagues trying-desperately-to-be-a-pro-style QBs. Would you agree???

yeah but if the system is the failure then no QB will succeed.

What we really need is a farm system were your farm team has to run the same pro style offense that the parent club runs, that would go a long towards developing QBs for the NFL.

Hockey and baseball can do it so can the NFL, plus this would expand their "brand" and make more money.

as an OSU fan I hated him for 41-14 in the NC game when he was at FL, which kicked off the decade of SEC dominance. But now I love him of course... Assuming he can win one for us soon!

If that game were still going on right now, Tressel wouldn't yet be able to find an answer to that Florida O. :bag:

If that game were still going on right now, Tressel wouldn't yet be able to find an answer to that Florida O. :bag:

chris Leak = HOF

OSU's best player got hurt scoring a TD on the opening KOR. They never recovered from not having him in there. The game plan was heavily Tedd Ginn, Jr. He was the only speed mismatch they had.

He got injured while celebrating his KO TD. :wallbash:

technically he didn't injure himself while celebrating. His teammate Roy Hall was celebrating and he jumped and landed on his ankle.

You probably said that about Chip Kelly too.

chip has actually changed his offense quite a bit. He doesn't run the same offense with the Eagles. He did keep the fast pace. Maybe Urban could/would do the same and just weave in certain concepts of the spread, not sure.

Here is another idea, Schwartz promoted to Head Coach, Rex Ryan Brought in for DC and someone with Pro level talent as OC. I would watch that combo. I think they gut it out with Marrone for another year though unfortunately and Hackett is on the street or back in college next year.

He would be a guy I would like them to consider. But I doubt they could get him to come here.

I agree... OP is right. Coaches dont coach to "their guys" strengths... they try to fit them into THEIR system. Smart coaches, coach their teams based on the teams personnel. As it stands now. We have a ton of speed on O. Woods isnt the burner that Sammy or Goodwin are, but could still be a solid #2 in just about any system.

Chip Kelly has won with Nick Foles and mark Sanchez.... Philly will be a SCARY team once he actually has a QB that HE wants, not just "who was out there". However, his O's still strike fear into every DC they face. They lose their #1 WR.... no biggie, they get Maclin back from serious injury and O doesnt miss a beat.

Meyer would be the perfect coach. He got very worn out with the college system before and led him to being ill and needing a break. I think bring a College HC is more grueling than NFL simply cuz even before season ends, recruiting is already under way. It's non stop for them and constantly running all over the place finding the next blue chip prospect.

Meyer may be opened to NFL and want to see what his style of coaching can do, (especially after Kelly has done so successfully making his chances a bit easier and will be much more accepted among NFL franchises who used to think these kind of coaches fizzle out fast in NFL like Spurrier etc.)

I dont think Buffalo would be a tough sell to Meyer either.. He will inherit an elite D and plenty of talent of the skill positions on O. His job would be finding the right QB to make his O work.. You bring in 2 spread oriented QB's to duke it out for starting gig, and obviously, with system that requires a QB to run a bit, this can lead to injuries so having a back-up QB which similar skill set is crucial.

I for one would LOVE for this to come to fruition. The Bills ATTEMPTED to do so with Marrone but in terms of resume , there is absolutely no comparison as to what Meyer has accomplished season after season, for a good ammount of years all in different type of schools. Bowling Green and Utah were not "high profile" jobs like his gigs in Fla and Ohio St.

Doubtful it would ever happen, but its great idea.

Here is another idea, Schwartz promoted to Head Coach, Rex Ryan Brought in for DC and someone with Pro level talent as OC. I would watch that combo. I think they gut it out with Marrone for another year though unfortunately and Hackett is on the street or back in college next year.

Have our great 4-3 non blitzing DC become our head coach (after failing at being a HC previously) and bring in a DC that runs an entirely different system? Ehhhhhhhh. No thanks. I'd prefer to keep Marrone as HC, Schwartz as DC and bring in a new OC. If Marrone has to go, bring in an offensive HC, keep Schwartz as DC. Worst case scenario for next session, IMO, is losing Schwartz as our DC.

"Hey Urban, you're having great success with one of the most prestigious schools in college football history, what are you gonna do next?" "I'm gonna go coach the Buffalo Bills as a logical career step!"

Bingo. No top tier coach is coming to f ing Buffalo, New York. Love it grew up there, but it ain't happenin' . As they say amoungst the players and coaches, "buffalo is where careers go to die"

Urban Meyer is hardly a name that isn't well known among the NFL, why wouldn't he have gotten a HC job or even rumors of him being contacted yet? I think he stays in college, if he were open to the NFL, it would being going around ESPN like Chip Kelly's interviews with Philly and others. Fwiw, I am a fan of his but have a boiling hatred for OSU (Mich St. fan).

Urban Meyer is hardly a name that isn't well known among the NFL, why wouldn't he have gotten a HC job or even rumors of him being contacted yet? I think he stays in college, if he were open to the NFL, it would being going around ESPN like Chip Kelly's interviews with Philly and others. Fwiw, I am a fan of his but have a boiling hatred for OSU (Mich St. fan).

as an OSU fan I still like and respect Sparty (except when playing the Bucks) because of Coach D. He is the best. And I am a huge Connor Cook fan (Bills #1 pick 2016 pleassssse)