Doug Marrone and Offensive line

bisonbrigade

If Doug Marrone is this well known Offensive line coach, how come the offensive line, and especially Offensive Guard which was the position he played is the teams weakest link. A matter of fact the line play is the number one reason the Bills will miss the playoffs. Both guard positions need to be addressed. If I was the Bills I would draft three in the draft. With a decent run game, either Orton or Ej could lead this team with it's defense to the post season.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same old Bills story....

How the O-line could regress this much is almost unreal.... Pears has no place as a starting guard in the NFL and not playing Urbick to start the season is the call of a moron or should I say a Marrone. I have no respect for Marrone after what this season has been. Saint Doug should go back to coaching college because he has no business being a HC on an NFL sideline.

If Doug Marrone is this well known Offensive line coach, how come the offensive line, and especially Offensive Guard which was the position he played is the teams weakest link. A matter of fact the line play is the number one reason the Bills will miss the playoffs. Both guard positions need to be addressed. If I was the Bills I would draft three in the draft. With a decent run game, either Orton or Ej could lead this team with it's defense to the post season.

Is he? Did you know anything about him before Bills hired him? I didn't.

There's nothing quite as entertaining as watching a 320 pound monster (Urbik) pull off the line, rumble around the edge to to block for a screen, dive at the feet of a defender who gives up about 100 pounds to him, and whiff. Somewhat like elephant ballet.

That said, it's the QB. It's always the QB. A great QB will make the league talk about how great our line looks.

Same old Bills story....

How the O-line could regress this much is almost unreal.... Pears has no place as a starting guard in the NFL and not playing Urbick to start the season is the call of a moron or should I say a Marrone. I have no respect for Marrone after what this season has been. Saint Doug should go back to coaching college because he has no business being a HC on an NFL sideline.

Marrone should stay and they need to go all in on qb, oline, and te. This has been the best season in a decade and you want to fire the head coach. Smh. Have some faith in Whaley and the scouting staff. We find oline and our running game again this off-season and we are a contender.

Same old Bills story....

I agree about Pears but after watching Urbik are you surprised he was on the bench? He is awful

We are going to waste another year with this punt on fourth down loser, this is just another one of the long list of Ralph Wilson's Walmart coaches.We have a owner who spent 1.4 billion to but this franchise and we get a coach from Walmart.The guy hired Hackett because he wanted someone young who would not mind him stepping in and calling most of the plays.Where is the innovative cutting edge coach? that is what get when you shop at Walmart for your head coach.

We need big, strong, fast, athletic guards. Look at how much of a difference it made for the Cowboys since they upgraded their O-Line. We have to start there. If the line can get Spiller 1000 yards and Jackson at least 800, it'll make life so much easier for whoever the QB is. The running game has to compensate for our QB situation. Look at how the running game covered up for Mark Sanchez when the Jets went to back to back AFC Championship games. That's what was needed here!

we added 3 Olinemen in the draft, (one a 2nd rounder) and two more in free agency.

only one panned out as good enough to crack the Starting lineup. They like him so much they put him alone against the defensive rookie of the year yesterday with zero help in the biggest game of the year to protect an immobile qb with zero pocket awareness.

Blame whaley for the lack of talent, but our HC is to blame for lack of effective game planning. Sparano was ready, we werent.

We are going to waste another year with this punt on fourth down loser, this is just another one of the long list of Ralph Wilson's Walmart coaches.We have a owner who spent 1.4 billion to but this franchise and we get a coach from Walmart.The guy hired Hackett because he wanted someone young who would not mind him stepping in and calling most of the plays.Where is the innovative cutting edge coach? that is what get when you shop at Walmart for your head coach.

This cutting edge quote has been mystifying since practically the moment he said it. Maybe he meant watching his offense we would all want to slit our wrists? Other than that, there is nothing cutting edge about it.

This same oline (sans Levitre) looked pretty good when chan was here.

and Henderson at RT, and Pears and Urbik at different positions, so not nearly the same. And, players don't maintain the same quality throughout their careers, some players don't have 10 year solid careers. It doesn't matter what happened a few years ago.

This is the worst o-line in the NFL. I would use at least half of our draft picks on O-Lineman and sign three mid-level free agent O-lineman - have at least 15 guys in mini camp and training camp. Maybe a new O-line coach also.

Why mid level? so everyone can complain again next year? how about upper level?????

There's nothing like having a washed out offensive lineman build your build your line. They play as poorly as he did.

How many successful coaches were great players? Marv Levy? Bill Belicheck? Bill Parcells?

It's so hard to say. Is it the talent on the offense or the coaching/preparation? Look at Belichek. Who was he before he had 2 great QBs? OTOH, a good staff would have figured out a way to make the best with what we have, even on the fly. They have misused EJ and the O-line players. We have some good men on that line and they are not being given a chance.

Edited by flmike

It's so hard to say. Is it the talent on the offense or the coaching/preparation? Look at Belichek. Who was he before he had 2 great QBs? OTOH, a good staff would have figured out a way to make the best with what we have, even on the fly. They have misused EJ and the O-line players. We have some good men on that line and they are not being given a chance.

It's likely a combination - the line lacks talent, but good coaching/game planning might be better at utilizing their strengths and hiding the weaknesses.