Doug Marrone and Offensive line

bisonbrigade

I read on here often that Coach Marrone is some kindof Offensive Line guru or something to that effect.

He had a cup of coffee as an offensive lineman being activated for 3 games with the fish. Then he was offensive line coach somewhere (New Orleans maybe) for 1 year. Oh, and he played for the London Monarchs.

He really hasn't done much in the NFL in regards to offensive line success.

Can anyone point to somewhere in the NFL where he has been successful at anything?

He looked awesome as an "OC" with Drew Brees. Oh and he won a Pinstripe Bowl!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, can someone tell me why we let Chad Rinehart walk? He was better than any guard on our roster and most of the tackles.

I brought this up in the shout box on Saturday and got lambasted for it. CR wasn't good enough to play for us, yet he can start for the San Diego Chargers?

Nothing personal here...just can't say I agree with that at all.

Luck was great with Arians as OC, and he's still great with Hamilton. Meanwhile, Arians had some success on offense with Palmer in Arizona, but without him, it's down the tubes...leads me to the conclusion that the QB matters FAR more than the OC.

Same goes for Rodgers. He's been great with and without Philbin, with and without Ben McAdoo, with and without Doug Pederson, etc. Now he's putting up MVP numbers with Alex Van Pelt and Tom Clements running the offense...both of whom were total flops as OC in Buffalo.

A franchise QB makes everyone look like a genius.

Mike McCarthy is the guy who runs that offense. He was an offensive player. His first job was as QB coach. He was QB coach for the Chiefs and the Pack. Then OC for the 49ers and Saints. It's all his offense.

I brought this up in the shout box on Saturday and got lambasted for it. CR wasn't good enough to play for us, yet he can start for the San Diego Chargers?

He didn't want to stay in Buffalo. He left for SD with our O line coach. Its been discussed for two years.

Mike McCarthy is the guy who runs that offense. He was an offensive player. His first job was as QB coach. He was QB coach for the Chiefs and the Pack. Then OC for the 49ers and Saints. It's all his offense.

Hey K- Dog.. you might enjoy this old article about McCarthy.. from his Pitt days with Paul Hackett, and Van Pelt, to KC with Hackett and Montana, to Green Bay - where his offense continues to produce. The thing I take from his story, is the common thread of what he and other very successful coaches share - the personal commitment and attention to detail it takes to go from student to teacher. Anyway.. enjoy.

http://www.jsonline....-168285666.html

Edited by BackInDaDay

We need big, strong, fast, athletic guards. Look at how much of a difference it made for the Cowboys since they upgraded their O-Line. We have to start there. If the line can get Spiller 1000 yards and Jackson at least 800, it'll make life so much easier for whoever the QB is. The running game has to compensate for our QB situation. Look at how the running game covered up for Mark Sanchez when the Jets went to back to back AFC Championship games. That's what was needed here!

This~ :thumbsup: It makes so much common sense its probably blinding anyone who reads it.

Not to justify keeping Maroon but I read an article recently that stated St Doug wanted different players at OG, and was told by the FO that the current players were good enough. 6'7'' Pears is just ridiculous at RG, and Urbik is even worse. Did anyone besides me watch Raider D lineman Antonio Smith push Pears 5 yards into the backfield to make the tackle on Spiller? The penalties, and no push in the run game at all. It just amazes me on how bad the players are, and someone in the FO said they were good enough.

Here is hope new ownership cleans house.

and Henderson at RT, and Pears and Urbik at different positions, so not nearly the same. And, players don't maintain the same quality throughout their careers, some players don't have 10 year solid careers. It doesn't matter what happened a few years ago.

I have heard that argument about skills declining, and don't think there is any evidence to support it. Gailey was good at scheming with the talent he had on the line. He took two scrubs like pears and urbik and turned them into solid linemen. Add in fitz's quick release and you had a really good-looking line, which rarely gave up sacks and did well enough in the run game.

Hackett/Orton have done the opposite--taken an average line and made them the worst in the league.

we added 3 Olinemen in the draft, (one a 2nd rounder) and two more in free agency.

only one panned out as good enough to crack the Starting lineup. They like him so much they put him alone against the defensive rookie of the year yesterday with zero help in the biggest game of the year to protect an immobile qb with zero pocket awareness.

Blame whaley for the lack of talent, but our HC is to blame for lack of effective game planning. Sparano was ready, we werent.

on the blame whaley front..... thats of course assuming these guys know how to develop the OL. Which they havent shown, with pretty much anyone.

we added 3 Olinemen in the draft, (one a 2nd rounder) and two more in free agency.

only one panned out as good enough to crack the Starting lineup. They like him so much they put him alone against the defensive rookie of the year yesterday with zero help in the biggest game of the year to protect an immobile qb with zero pocket awareness.

Blame whaley for the lack of talent, but our HC is to blame for lack of effective game planning. Sparano was ready, we werent.

They need better talent evaluation to go along with spending the money.

And frankly...whoever thought of the idea of using tall OT's as OG's because they "pass block better" needs to be taken out of the talent evaluation of the team.....

Use GUARDS to play guard position.......strong...nasty....squatty but athletic.....guys that win at the point of attack and block on the second level

They need better talent evaluation to go along with spending the money.

And frankly...whoever thought of the idea of using tall OT's as OG's because they "pass block better" needs to be taken out of the talent evaluation of the team.....

Use GUARDS to play guard position.......strong...nasty....squatty but athletic.....guys that win at the point of attack and block on the second level

That is Marrone. One, a GM would never tell a HC who is an OL himself and spent his first several years in the league as an OL coach how to do his job, or to do something drastic like that if the coach didn't believe it. But even more so, Marrone has repeatedly said that he believes your five best players should be out in the game, at the expense of continuity or anything else, and that is why he put Pears at OG. Because he thought Pears was a better blocker than any of our OGs. That was a colossal failure.

on the blame whaley front..... thats of course assuming these guys know how to develop the OL. Which they havent shown, with pretty much anyone.

This is where I also think the issue lies. As someone else pointed in one thread, of the 5 offensive lineman who started the game on Sunday, 4 were on the line when Coach Gailey was running the show. Even though they weren't that great, oru OC designed a plan for Fitz to get the football out quick to avoid sacks. It worked. I remember many on TBD saying we had a good offensive line. We could also run the football pretty well.

What happened? Did Urbick, Wood, and Pears forget how to block?

I think not. I suspect that the offensive "scheme" in general leaves them exposed and they also receive poor offensive line coaching. Playing Pears out of position is probably not helping.either,. Throwing more talent at this will have limited results unless major changes happen on the offensive side of the ball coaching-wise this off season.

Edited by reddogblitz