Let Hughes Walk if he wants too much (Or.. why Hughes is often more tr

slyng1

I was originally of the view that we should probably let Hughes walk. Now I think we need to do everything we can to keep this defense intact through next year. I would pay him.

Defense -- and especially defensive line -- is our strength, and our d-line wins games for us. It'd be foolish to let a core strength diminish. It's not like qb will be a strength of ours next year anyway. We need some dominant areas on the team if we're to have a chance.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear you. But, he has had 3 PFs this year vs 10+ sacks. He gets to the QB AND seals the edge running. His pros way out weigh the con's and he can improve on the penalties.

You can't prod cattle, but, you can tame a tiger!!

If the price tag is good resign him. Even if it is above what he is worth. $10 or $11 million a year MAY be worth it?

You can't prod cattle? Then what the hell are cattle prods used for?

But I agree re-signing Hughes is something the team should REALLY try to do.

The Avril deal is actually much less than I was thinking we'd have to shell out for Hughes. If he would take that contract, I'd do it in a heartbeat. We have huge cap space going into next year, so we can do that and still sign Dareus next year.

I'm of the opinion that we tag and trade him. I wonder what we could get for him if we do that? Then we sign hardy to replace the sacks. Can we get a 2nd round pick? Maybe a deal where it could become a 2nd or 1st based on sack totals? Or if he signs with that team longterm? Could we get an impact player trading him? I'm sure whaley is thinking of various scenarios...it would be cool to see this become like a kelvin sheppard trade tree.

why break up what is working ?

Because the grass is always greener on the other side.

But I'm with you. We need to keep our defense together.

To those that say we have Wynn and Bryant on the team, we can afford to let Hughes go.....no. We do not. Wynn and Bryant are free agents too. My bet is Wynn gets a 2-4 mill a year too.

I think the trade off is signing Hughes OR Spikes. Hughes has become a more complete player and adds significantly more value to this D than Spikes. Letting Spikes go and using his $3+ mil to cover most of what Hughes will need to stay is probably the best option. Find a young non-starting run-plugger in the draft if you need one.

We need to be prepared to bump right up against that cap for 2015 and maybe even ask Mario to restructure a bit (for Hughes, a QB etc.)in the name of getting him into the playoffs++. Nothing lasts forever in this league and we..right now... have an ELITE and scary good defense. Hughes is a keeper…for this team. There may be better but I don't give a rats A$$ because they are an unknown to this team…may be a problem, may be injured, may not do as well once they get their $. Hughes is a known commodity, he fits well and is extremely productive here. In this structure, with these players, captains and DC/HC…he helps us win games.

You don't tempt fate here by thinking he's so easily replaced.

Edited by filthymcnasty08

I think Hughes being compared to Avril is a fair one. As Avril played a similar role for Detroit under Schwartz a few years ago before leaving for Seattle. Ironically Avril turned down a deal with Lions to a deal similar to what think the Bills should offer Hughes. As I thought we should offer Hughes $40 million over 4 years and Avril turned down a $30 million deal over 3 years. What we have to remember is these players (and their agents) know that they are playing on borrowed time and when they have a chance to cash in you take it when you have it. And quite frankly this is the best Hughes has played over his career and no guarantee he will ever put up numbers like these again. So he will go to the team that will give him that money. As eluded before it's why we failed to give Nate, Jonas, Levitre and Byrd what was deemed market value for the player. Sure the other teams over spent for those guys but it's how the NFL free agent market works. One could argue we did the same for Mario Williams making him at the time the highest paid defender but he's lived up to those numbers as to me he's in the top 5 of his position right now. So to me we need to offer Hughes a contract worthy of the market and if last year's market guys like Peppers and Allen got deals in the $10 million - $8million dollar range.Yes they are more proven than Hughes but they were also older. So you give Jerry a few extra dollars to ensure he stays here as quite frankly if we don't offer him a deal like that most likely some pass rushing starved team will.

Edited by The Jokeman

The Avril deal is actually much less than I was thinking we'd have to shell out for Hughes. If he would take that contract, I'd do it in a heartbeat. We have huge cap space going into next year, so we can do that and still sign Dareus next year.

Avril is older than Hughes and hasn't put up double digit sacks since leaving Detroit but then again the D-line in Seattle isn't as talented as what Detroit has.

He will command $10+ easily. If we can get him 4-40 I would do it right now. But I think he and his agent would immediately turn it down.

Per http://www.rotoworld...ree-agents?pg=2 here are the contract of the top 8 DEs in UFA last season. Hughes would be making more than all of them except a franchised guy in Hardy. I think 4 years $40 million is more than fair.

1. Greg Hardy (Re-signed one-year, $13.116M deal with CAR)

2. Michael Johnson (Signed five-year, $43.75M deal with TB)

3. Lamarr Houston (Signed five-year, $35M deal with CHI)

4. Michael Bennett (Re-signed four-year, $32M deal with SEA)

5. Arthur Jones (Signed five-year, $33M deal with IND)

6. Everson Griffen (Re-signed five-year, $42.5M deal with MIN)

7. Julius Peppers (Signed three-year, $30M deal with GB)

8. Jared Allen (Signed four-year, $32M deal with CHI)

Edited by The Jokeman

Per http://www.rotoworld...ree-agents?pg=2 here are the contract of the top 8 DEs in UFA last season. Hughes would be making more than all of them except a franchised guy in Hardy. I think 4 years $40 million is more than fair.

1. Greg Hardy (Re-signed one-year, $13.116M deal with CAR)

2. Michael Johnson (Signed five-year, $43.75M deal with TB)

3. Lamarr Houston (Signed five-year, $35M deal with CHI)

4. Michael Bennett (Re-signed four-year, $32M deal with SEA)

5. Arthur Jones (Signed five-year, $33M deal with IND)

6. Everson Griffen (Re-signed five-year, $42.5M deal with MIN)

7. Julius Peppers (Signed three-year, $30M deal with GB)

8. Jared Allen (Signed four-year, $32M deal with CHI)

Young players with a lot of talent that make big plays and get double digit sacks two years in a row, the only two years he has started, make a LOT of money. He's going to break the bank. Pass rushers are the third biggest commodity there is. And the cap is going up. I think he will make 12 million actually.

Young players with a lot of talent that make big plays and get double digit sacks two years in a row, the only two years he has started, make a LOT of money. He's going to break the bank. Pass rushers are the third biggest commodity there is. And the cap is going up. I think he will make 12 million actually.

That's why we have a cap guy to make the numbers work. If we let Hughes go it is going to hurt me bad but then again I thought letting Byrd walk was foolish.

I was originally of the view that we should probably let Hughes walk. Now I think we need to do everything we can to keep this defense intact through next year. I would pay him.

When and What changed your mind ?

I might agree with you..

But this is going to come down to money not whether he should be here, or whether Bills want him to stay long term. i think thats a yes on both counts.

I am going to avoid this and just wait till we the result. Going to be alot of chatter about this .

lets see how smart The front office really is this off season. I feel they have some serious contract challenges to handle over the next two years.

and hell yes i want Hughes here. Dude has hustle and Moxy.

The Lee Smith of the Defense ( wait ..)

Boy i did not know the C. Avril deal. thanks for that post guys.

We all should feel lucky to get that deal I bet , after reading some of $ amounts that have been tossed around here.

We have no offence, so might be an idea to keep the D together, at all costs!

LOL

but true enough