Expect the Bills to make a bold move for a QB after the season.

Tipster19

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would a bold move be signing Kellen Moore and adding him to the mix of Orton and Manuel? He's a young QB who seems to be the mirror opposite of EJ Manuel.

Short vs Tall

Non-Athletic vs Athletic

Anticipating throws vs Not Anticipating throws

Non-runner vs Runner

Accuracy vs Non-Accuracy

Weak Arm vs Strong Arm

No regular season playing time vs 14 games worth of playing time

It seems to me that adding a possible "diamond in the rough" like Kellen Moore might be the way to go because the Bills would be adding a very talented passer who's two main faults are his small body type and a "weak" arm (which doesn't matter nearly as much when you can throw the ball like he does). I could totally see Moore being signed, earning a chance to start and becoming a franchise QB for a team that gives him a chance because he actually knows how to anticipate where receivers will be and he throws it with pin point accuracy. I think adding Moore would seriously push both Orton and Manuel to bring their "A" game because neither can touch Moore's pure passing ability and Moore would be given an honest shot at earning the starting job unlike he had with Stafford in Detroit. Why blow a ton of cap money on the failure/waiting for the train wreck that is Cutler, when the Bills can ride their defense and take their chances with a three horse race with Orton, Manuel and Moore.

I know I'm not the first person to bring Kellen Moore's name up, but I'm just sick of thinking about them bringing in Cutler so much so that I wanted to make a push for Moore. Cutler's "I don't care" attitude is a drama in and of itself before even getting to his turnover issues. Is it any more risky to go with the three horse race I mentioned and in the process saving a ton of cash for our defensive players?

I hated Kellen Moore in the draft and hate the thought of pursuing him as an UFA. The guy lacks NFL size and before anyone tells me how great Russell Wilson is I hate to tell you but Wilson is a game manager QB at best in this league. Yet what helps Wilson out is his legs and that's something Moore doesn't have. As anyone that tells me Moore is a good QB then I will ask why hasn't he supplanted Dan Orlovsky as the backup QB in Detroit yet? As Orlovsky is a pretty bad QB as let's not forget he was the guy that Indy sucked for Luck with.

I hated Kellen Moore in the draft and hate the thought of pursuing him as an UFA. The guy lacks NFL size and before anyone tells me how great Russell Wilson is I hate to tell you but Wilson is a game manager QB at best in this league. Yet what helps Wilson out is his legs and that's something Moore doesn't have. As anyone that tells me Moore is a good QB then I will ask why hasn't he supplanted Dan Orlovsky as the backup QB in Detroit yet? As Orlovsky is a pretty bad QB as let's not forget he was the guy that Indy sucked for Luck with.

I think that Moore does know how to maneuver in the pocket (which is the more optimal skill than scrambling). Also, I don't think Detroit cares very much who their #2 or #3 QB is. It'd be interesting to see who they'd send in if Stafford got hurt and they had to make a choice in a game that meant something.

I think it would be much more harmful for the Bills to put all their chips and cap money in for Cutler than to add in a low contract FA QB like Moore who can pass the ball better than both our current QBs. The dude is 6", it's not like he's Doug Flutie small.

Edited by 1billsfan

You must of forgot about the post where someone suggested that we get a midget on the squad & use him in goalline situations where 2 of the linemen just throw him over the top of the pile or the post where someone stated that microwaving chicken wings is the best most tasty way to cook them.

The wing thing is blasphemous. I would just have to assume the poster is retarded. But the midget idea? Think about it, assuming, of course, that the midget was not a fumbler.

Name one NFL QB in the last 30 years with a weak arm that has had any kind of success? There is one: Chad Pennington. And he was a wizard, as well as never got all that far. Guys with Kellen Moore arms cannot play in the NFL. It's been proven. Height is a huge disadvantage for most players. Some have so much talent that they can buck the odds. Rag arms cannot buck the odds. It never happens.

Russell Wilson is great, and has a cannon for an arm.

Name one NFL QB in the last 30 years with a weak arm that has had any kind of success? There is one: Chad Pennington. And he was a wizard, as well as never got all that far. Guys with Kellen Moore arms cannot play in the NFL. It's been proven. Height is a huge disadvantage for most players. Some have so much talent that they can buck the odds. Rag arms cannot buck the odds. It never happens.

Russell Wilson is great, and has a cannon for an arm.

Joe Montana. You did say 30 years and he won the Superbowl 30 years ago...LOL

I'm not saying that Kellen Moore is the answer to our QB problems, just that he has real NFL level passing skills (anticipation and accuracy which are probably more important than arm strength) that are intriguing enough to be another "lottery ticket" towards finding a franchise QB for the Bills. They would then have two "lottery ticket" QBs in Manuel and Moore, with Orton as the fall back option.

Just think of how many millions of people are in this country and that there are only about 6-8 guys that are truly franchise QBs. They don't grow on trees. You can't order one with the click of a button. If someone says Sam Bradford, then you can retort that he is always hurt. There are real negatives with every QB option out there, so my solution is to simply find a FA QB with passing skills who hasn't had the chance to compete for a starting job and add him to the mix.

Joe Montana. You did say 30 years and he won the Superbowl 30 years ago...LOL

I'm not saying that Kellen Moore is the answer to our QB problems, just that he has real NFL level passing skills (anticipation and accuracy which are probably more important than arm strength) that are intriguing enough to be another "lottery ticket" towards finding a franchise QB for the Bills. They would then have two "lottery ticket" QBs in Manuel and Moore, with Orton as the fall back option.

Just think of how many millions of people are in this country and that there are only about 6-8 guys that are truly franchise QBs. They don't grow on trees. You can't order one with the click of a button. If someone says Sam Bradford, then you can retort that he is always hurt. There are real negatives with every QB option out there, so my solution is to simply find a FA QB with passing skills who hasn't had the chance to compete for a starting job and add him to the mix.

Montana didn't have a rag arm, he just didn't have a strong one.

You can't name one because they don't exist. It's really a liability that cannot be overcome by smarts or anticipation or accuracy. You can survive, barely. You can have a good game here and there. You can put up decent stats in a couple game stretch. You can't win. It never happens. Even Trent Dilfer didn't have a weak arm. If you cannot get the ball downfield quickly on a 25 yard pass, you cannot succeed in this league. if you cannot gun the ball on a rope 15 yards down the field when you have to, that beats the DB closing fast by an inch, you cannot win. if you have a rag arm it just never ever happens.

I had a dream last night that the Bills made a trade for Ryan Nassib, I'm surprised his name hasn't come up much in these QB discussions. I think there's a possibility of this happening considering the connection with Marrone & Hackett.

The connection with Marrone is probably the reason it won't happen. i think there is a reason the Bills did not draft him Get a few beers in Marrone and he just might tell the story. They had multiple shots at Nassib even after the pick at #16. May have been a good thing having a true rook competition for the job. That era of the Bills FO had zero out of the box thinking. Then if EJ turned into a bust, and Nassib turned out even ok. The FO would have less ka ka on their faces now. In fact it would have been looked at as a smart strategy.

Does anyone think Brett Hundley will be there in the 2nd? Even trading up 12-15 spots to get him. He is insanely accurate, and athletic enough to extend plays.

He is the guy I want come the draft.

Nice prospect, but I shudder at the thought of him starting in 2015. This is a guy who will need a bit of time, IMO.

Does anyone think Brett Hundley will be there in the 2nd? Even trading up 12-15 spots to get him. He is insanely accurate, and athletic enough to extend plays.

He usually looks pretty good when I watch him, which hasn't been often. But my UCLA friends who watch every game do not think he will be a good pro. And usually those are guys that would think more highly of him. They think he is dumb and make bad decisions and bad throws at the worst times.

The connection with Marrone is probably the reason it won't happen. i think there is a reason the Bills did not draft him Get a few beers in Marrone and he just might tell the story. They had multiple shots at Nassib even after the pick at #16. May have been a good thing having a true rook competition for the job. That era of the Bills FO had zero out of the box thinking. Then if EJ turned into a bust, and Nassib turned out even ok. The FO would have less ka ka on their faces now. In fact it would have been looked at as a smart strategy.

I am in no way a Nassib guy. The thing is though how do we really know that Marrone didn't want him. It could have been Whaley force feeding Ej on Marrone. The problem was at the time the Bills had Ej, Kolb & Tavaras maybe they didn't want to add another guy to a crowded situation or maybe it was a coddle situation. Adding a guy like Nassib would have put alot of unnecessary attention on Marrone having to answer questions bout the QB situation every time EJ threw a pk.

I just don't understand why some people on this board like to assume they know what's going on. The only people that truly know are the coaches and front office people that were in the war room. Now that EJ future isn't looking so bright maybe Marrone asks the front office to make this move. Considering that Nassib knows Hacketts offense like the back of his hand. This could possibly be a sink or swim desperation move by Marrone considering the fact that his ass will be on the chomping block next yr. We've all discussed these QB´s available and one thing is for sure there is no true franchise qbs available. So they could go bk to someone who they had a working relationship with and roll the dice. I guess we will find out soon enough.

I am in no way a Nassib guy. The thing is though how do we really know that Marrone didn't want him. It could have been Whaley force feeding Ej on Marrone. The problem was at the time the Bills had Ej, Kolb & Tavaras maybe they didn't want to add another guy to a crowded situation or maybe it was a coddle situation. Adding a guy like Nassib would have put alot of unnecessary attention on Marrone having to answer questions bout the QB situation every time EJ threw a pk.

I just don't understand why some people on this board like to assume they know what's going on. The only people that truly know are the coaches and front office people that were in the war room. Now that EJ future isn't looking so bright maybe Marrone asks the front office to make this move. Considering that Nassib knows Hacketts offense like the back of his hand. This could possibly be a sink or swim desperation move by Marrone considering the fact that his ass will be on the chomping block next yr. We've all discussed these QB´s available and one thing is for sure there is no true franchise qbs available. So they could go bk to someone who they had a working relationship with and roll the dice. I guess we will find out soon enough.

He's a little streaky and not THAT accurate, but I wouldn't be upset if we got him

I hate to be the one to break all the EJ haters hearts, no I don't, but......listen to FredEx

http://hsrd.yahoo.co...j0ANy6klPy_p10-

EJ is done, players on any team are naturally biased and usually overestimate a players worth. Mark Kelso thought he would be great this summer and watched all the tape and gave reasons why but what it really was, is he WANTED EJ to be great instead of seeing what we all saw.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

My feeling, and it's totally conjecture, was if Marrone truly believed in Nassib, he could have convinced Nix and Whaley that Nassib was very good, and the third year in the same offense was going to be way better than anyone they could draft. If it was even close from what the Bills scouts reported about Nassib, if Marrone truly believed in him, he could have made that sale. Especially because everyone knew there was not one clear cut #1 polished top QB pick in that draft. All of them had question marks.

What I believe happened, was that Marrone and Hackett felt, wholeheartedly, that if we had a guy with much better natural gifts and size and ability, we can make him into a great QB. Why wouldn't they think that? They very likely thought that with EJ or Gino, we can mold this guy into a franchise QB. Look what we did with a lesser talent?

So IMO Marrone didn't lobby too hard for Nassib. And the fact he wasn't drafted until round four was the same reason that Matt Barkley wasn't. Pro scouts didn't think of him as a possible franchise QB, but a backup. And they're very likely still right.

I was watching film of Nassib last night a few things stood out to me.

#1 He has different release points with his throwing motion but the ball fires out of his hand very quickly.

#2 Shows great anticipation when comfortable in the pocket.

#3 Arm strength has improved since college, but still lacks a adequate deep ball.

#4 He can make all the throws on intermediate and short routes.

#5 He plays with confidence.

The Bad

#6 He needs to work in his pocket presence. Seems like he tries to get out of the pocket to soon doesnt step up or stand tall.

#7 deep ball needs work

#8 has touch issues at times

#9 tends to make bad decisions when being rushed.

Overall I watched his gametape from college to the pros and RN has gotten much better. He kind of reminds of Drew Brees. He has his eyes down the field at all times then he works threw his progression to the checkdown. With some more polishing he can be very good.

I had a dream last night that the Bills made a trade for Ryan Nassib, I'm surprised his name hasn't come up much in these QB discussions. I think there's a possibility of this happening considering the connection with Marrone & Hackett.

I have much better dreams that involve Sofia Vergara.