Expect the Bills to make a bold move for a QB after the season.

Tipster19

I started a thread about obtaining Brees to mixed results. Regardless if it's logical or illogical, I fully expect the Bills to go out and do whatever it takes to secure a quality QB. Terry Pegula has the opportunity to put his thumbprint on this franchise and start his own legacy as owne. One of Mr. Wilson's greatest moves as a owner was to give his blessing to Polian to draft Jim Kelly. Pegula now has the chance to do the same thing and add the most important piece to this team. Let it be Brees or whoever, I stand by my thinking that we can and should defer the compensation that we gave up for Sammy and use our 2016 1st Rd pick to help facilitate a trade for a quality QB.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's simply a matter of who is available. The rest of the roster is serviceable-to-excellent, so it's not like we need to go out and look for a ton of positional upgrades. I fully expect them to spend pretty much all of their time and resources trying to grab the best QB possible.

With most important players still under contract, some big cap hits coming off the books next season, and plenty of money to sign the few FAs we want back, we should have plenty of money and cap space to grab whoever we can steal.

I honestly wouldn't care if they packaged all of our remaining 2015 draft picks and some 2016 draft picks in a trade to grab a good QB from another team. We have plenty of young and talented players playing and developing right now. We can forgo adding more to get a QB that will take us into the playoffs NOW.

I started a thread about obtaining Brees to mixed results. Regardless if it's logical or illogical, I fully expect the Bills to go out and do whatever it takes to secure a quality QB. Terry Pegula has the opportunity to put his thumbprint on this franchise and start his own legacy as owne. One of Mr. Wilson's greatest moves as a owner was to give his blessing to Polian to draft Jim Kelly. Pegula now has the chance to do the same thing and add the most important piece to this team. Let it be Brees or whoever, I stand by my thinking that we can and should defer the compensation that we gave up for Sammy and use our 2016 1st Rd pick to help facilitate a trade for a quality QB.

Tipster, I have to ask, would you give up the 2016 1st rd pick for the draft rights to Jameis Winston?

Of course, I expect them to do everyting possible, but they're kinda hard to come by. I noticed that.... for about a decade and a half. I trust Whaley as much as anyone to do the right thing, though I have no idea what that is.

Tipster, I have to ask, would you give up the 2016 1st rd pick for the draft rights to Jameis Winston?

Sorry but I'm not qualified to answer that due to the fact that I don't watch college football. I will say that the little that I know about him is that he strikes me as immature and a hot dog and doesn't seem like a good fit. Like I said though I'm not qualified.

Edited by Tipster19

Polian had nothing to do with drafting Jim Kelly. In fact, if you remember an ESPN special a few months ago about the '83 draft, the Bills front office came off as absolute idiots. They had the #12 and #14 picks and liked both Marino and Kelly. So instead of making a determination which one was better or which was more likely to sign with Buffalo (hello - both Kelly and Marino were Pittsburgh guys. Marino went to Pitt, Kelly to Miami. Again, hello!!) they figured one or the other would be there at #14 and picked Tony Hunter at #12. Morons.

Polian had nothing to do with drafting Jim Kelly. In fact, if you remember an ESPN special a few months ago about the '83 draft, the Bills front office came off as absolute idiots. They had the #12 and #14 picks and liked both Marino and Kelly. So instead of making a determination which one was better or which was more likely to sign with Buffalo (hello - both Kelly and Marino were Pittsburgh guys. Marino went to Pitt, Kelly to Miami. Again, hello!!) they figured one or the other would be there at #14 and picked Tony Hunter at #12. Morons.

Then I stand corrected. I was under the belief that Ralph signed off on the Kelly acquisition.

In addition, the biggest thing Wilson did was not 'endorsing' the drafting of Kelly but, rather, being willing to make him the highest paid player in the NFL before he ever played a down.

If the Bills are thinking bold move, you have to look at the QBs who have big bonus and salary guarantees that kick in at the end of this year or during this offseason. Interestingly enough the biggest savings would be if the Patriots got rid of Brady at the end of this season. Otherwise his 2015-17 salaries of $24 million are guaranteed. As crazy as that sounds, it's a total Bellichick move.

The Bears can save $10 million by getting rid of Cutler before March

Ravens can save $7 by dropping Flacco right after the season ends

Arizona can save $10.5 million by getting rid of Palmer before February

The Niners can save $12.4 million by getting rid of Kap before April

Dropping Dalton before March saves Cinci $4 million

Panthers can save $14.5 mill by getting rid of Cam Newton before March

But they were right...both were there at 14

Sorry but I'm not qualified to answer that due to the fact that I don't watch college football. I will say that the little that I know about him is that he strikes me as immature and a hot dog and doesn't seem like a good fit. Like I said though I'm not qualified.

He is all the bad things you say. He's also never lost a college game (think about that!), has all the tools and is only 20 years old. I'm not saying I'd take him early in the first (or I wouldn't), it's just complicated.

If the Bills are thinking bold move, you have to look at the QBs who have big bonus and salary guarantees that kick in at the end of this year or during this offseason. Interestingly enough the biggest savings would be if the Patriots got rid of Brady at the end of this season. Otherwise his 2015-17 salaries of $24 million are guaranteed. As crazy as that sounds, it's a total Bellichick move.

OK, Brady it is! Should we order the rings yet?

In addition, the biggest thing Wilson did was not 'endorsing' the drafting of Kelly but, rather, being willing to make him the highest paid player in the NFL before he ever played a down.

I think that's more of what I was thinking.

The Bears can save $10 million by getting rid of Cutler before March

Ravens can save $7 by dropping Flacco right after the season ends

Arizona can save $10.5 million by getting rid of Palmer before February

The Niners can save $12.4 million by getting rid of Kap before April

Dropping Dalton before March saves Cinci $4 million

Panthers can save $14.5 mill by getting rid of Cam Newton before March

Nice job on the homework! Very interesting!

The most likely "unlikely trade" I can see on that list that I would like is trading the Niners for Kap. Depending on how their season ends the Niners FO might not be too happy that a 4th year QB led them to a losing record after a 12-4 playoff season, all right before he's set to get huge guaranteed money. Cam Newton is also a possibility but I haven't watched him AT ALL this year so I'm not up to speed with how he's looking.

Of course the Bears will be trying like crazy to unload Cutler, but the more I read about his attitude and his huge contract the less I want the Bills to bother with him.

Edited by TheBillsWillRiseAgain

Bill Pollian had nothing to do with the Buffalo Bills during the 1983 draft, but cool story bro!

u94fq.jpg

, I stand by my thinking that we can and should defer the compensation that we gave up for Sammy and use our 2016 1st Rd pick to help facilitate a trade for a quality QB.

What do you mean by "defer the compensation we gave up for Sammy"? That trade is done. We cannot choose to change the details of it.

As for trading our #1 in 2016, I am not in favor of trading that pick in order to secure a QB in this years draft. The draft is clearly a crap shoot and any QB taken this year would likely do nothing to make us a playoff team in 2015. In the unlikely event that a top veteran QB becomes available via trade, I would be willing to give up future draft pick compensation depending on the quality of that QB. But it would need to be a legit Top starting QB in the league (Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Peyton, Eli, Big Ben, Wilson, Flacco, Ryan, Stafford).

The most likely "unlikely trade" I can see on that list that I would like is trading the Niners for Kap. Depending on how their season ends the Niners FO might not be too happy that a 4th year QB led them to a losing record after a 12-4 playoff season, all right before he's set to get huge guaranteed money. Cam Newton is also a possibility but I haven't watched him AT ALL this year so I'm not up to speed with how he's looking.

Of course the Bears will be trying like crazy to unload Cutler, but the more I read about his attitude and his huge contract the less I want the Bills to bother with him.

I would not want to trade a #1 pick for Kaep.