Start EJ

tuckan

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bench Orton. Start EJ. No further explanation required.

I agree. I would much rather lose with a taller, heavier, younger QB and besides, i haven't seen enough balls batted at the line of scrimmage recently. As a plus, the trainers 8 yards off the side lines will now have more chances to catch deep balls.

Bench Orton. Start EJ. No further explanation required.

Plenty of explanation required. Like, for instance, why on earth would you invest any more time in a guy that cant' play at this level, What more do you need to see? I heard Trent Edwards is available, why not see if he can give it another go...

Now there's an understatement if I've ever seen one. Orton is playing bad football for the Bills and has been doing so since the KC game. Enough of this guy as the "best chance to win". He's over!

Like I was saying elsewhere, it seems like he's gotten spooked the last few weeks. Started out playing well enough, but then it started to fall apart. He hears footsteps and just curls up, is afraid to throw the ball in many situations, it's just weird. Either he got hit hard, or got ripped on for throwing an INT, or both, or something.

why, do you have a death wish for EJ behind that near worst in the league line? The current coaches have clearly shown they can't coach up anyone or anything on the offensive side of the ball.

The offense was bad long before Orton took over. The have QB's regressed under Hackett. The O line has regressed, and some of the players we all thought would be pro bowlers are stinking it up this year. The run game regressed. The Bills OC can't stop calling pass plays even against some of the best pass defenses in the league.

Changing QB's won't save this team from its fate

why, do you have a death wish for EJ behind that near worst in the league line? The current coaches have clearly shown they can't coach up anyone or anything on the offensive side of the ball.

The offense was bad long before Orton took over. The have QB's regressed under Hackett. The O line has regressed, and some of the players we all thought would be pro bowlers are stinking it up this year. The run game regressed. The Bills OC can't stop calling pass plays even against some of the best pass defenses in the league.

Changing QB's won't save this team from its fate

Since Urbik has been inserted, this line has not been bad. Orton makes them look worst because be holds the ball too long and falls to the ground when someone breathes on him.

And Marrone won't bench Orton because he has too much pride. He won't admit that Orton wasn't an upgrade. The problems are deeper than QB and EJ got scapegoated. Marrone's pride keep him from playing Urbik and Mike Williams. His pride made him hire Hackett.

So even if for the long term health of the franchise the best option is playing EJ, his pride won't let him do it.

I was all for starting Orton after the Houston game because I want results now. I may have been wrong. Miami stuck with Tannehill last year when all the fans wanted him benched. Many of the things being said about EJ now, were said about Tannehill. Their patience is starting to pay off, he is starting to look like an NFL QB. He has a ways to go but he is improving. If Orton is not the future, start EJ

Edited by OldNMBillsFan

A couple points to remember here:

1) Yes, Orton sucks, but he is still better than EJ. It is interesting how many have forgotten just how bad EJ is.

2) A change at the QB position, for its own sake, does not improve the situation. If you have engine trouble in your car, swapping out the glovebox door hinge, then the rear seat armrest, then the wheels won't solve the problem.

HOWEVER! There were always rumors that EJ was being coached to play in a restricted mode. Don't run like an antelope down the field to avoid injury for example. Also, whether coached to do so or whether it was EJ's own choice, he seemed utterly afraid to throw an interception. It seemed like he was told to "play it safe when in doubt" and so on.

I would like to see EJ come in with zero restrictions! Encourage him to run with reckless abandon. Throw it DEEP down the field and into double coverage, etc. So what if he gets picked off! As I said earlier, it doesn't matter. This season is over.

I want 110% opened up EJ....and then when he flames out in catastrophic fashion, we will know we can move beyond him forever...and we won't have to suffer more "EJ" threads at this forum! THANK GOD!

A couple points to remember here:

1) Yes, Orton sucks, but he is still better than EJ. It is interesting how many have forgotten just how bad EJ is.

2) A change at the QB position, for its own sake, does not improve the situation. If you have engine trouble in your car, swapping out the glovebox door hinge, then the rear seat armrest, then the wheels won't solve the problem.

HOWEVER! There were always rumors that EJ was being coached to play in a restricted mode. Don't run like an antelope down the field to avoid injury for example. Also, whether coached to do so or whether it was EJ's own choice, he seemed utterly afraid to throw an interception. It seemed like he was told to "play it safe when in doubt" and so on.

I would like to see EJ come in with zero restrictions! Encourage him to run with reckless abandon. Throw it DEEP down the field and into double coverage, etc. So what if he gets picked off! As I said earlier, it doesn't matter. This season is over.

I want 110% opened up EJ....and then when he flames out in catastrophic fashion, we will know we can move beyond him forever...and we won't have to suffer more "EJ" threads at this forum! THANK GOD!

Since you already know the future, Can I have the lottery numbers for tomorrow?

Since Urbik has been inserted, this line has not been bad. Orton makes them look worst because be holds the ball too long and falls to the ground when someone breathes on him.

And Marrone won't bench Orton because he has too much pride. He won't admit that Orton wasn't an upgrade. The problems are deeper than QB and EJ got scapegoated. Marrone's pride keep him from playing Urbik and Mike Williams. His pride made him hire Hackett.

So even if for the long term health of the franchise the best option is playing EJ, his pride won't let him do it.

Orton was inserted into the lineup because EJ was overwhelmed when he played. He couldn't read defenses, couldn't properly react to plays and most damaging his accuracy was horrendous. Even when he completed short passes his ball placement was atrocious. There were few completions made where the receiver, back or the wideout , was able to keep their stride when catching the ball.

It's very evident that Orton has sunk to his actual mediocre level. He is what he is: a pedestrian backup. But given that poor rating he gave this team a better chance to win than the unprepared and erratic EJ. Marrone is not the fool that many people try to portray him to be. He salvaged the season by replacing the young qb who was a disaster and replaced him with a vagabound qb that no one else was interested in. You don't think that DM knew how good/bad Orton was when he belatedly join the team. Yet he made the switch because he had to make a move to salvage the season.

Would I switch to EJ at this point? I would. But the reality is that this franchise is still going to struggle until there is a dramatic upgrade at the qb position from what we already have on the roster. The Bills are in a desperate bind because this franchise was run by hideously incompetents. Jauron/Levy/Brandon/Nix not only held this franchise back but they set it back. The signing of Orton out of basically his retirement (no offseason preparation) was an act of desperation brought on by the fools who put this franchise in this predicament.

The shame of the situation is that our defense is an elite defense worthy of the playoffs and beyond. But because of the malfeasance/nonfeasance of the incompetents hired by an incapable owner this franchise squandered an opportunity to be a serious team because of the dire situation at qb that won't be resolved this season. It is such a shame.

Do Marrone and Hackett warrent criticisms? Yes. But the heart of the problem has less to do with their competency than it does with the limitations of the roster they have to work with, especially at the qb position.

Why one sucks and one sucks worse (EJ) and will never amount to anything (EJ). I presume you think starting EJ must = it gives him some chance to redeem himself?

Despite not even having played a full season (14 games), EJ has similar career stats (completion %, TD:INT ratio, average yds per attempt, etc). He does have something Orton doesn't: potential.

If you fail to acknowledge that, you probably have issues that cannot be adequately addressed on a message board.

Despite not even having played a full season (14 games), EJ has similar career stats (completion %, TD:INT ratio, average yds per attempt, etc). He does have something Orton doesn't: potential.

If you fail to acknowledge that, you probably have issues that cannot be adequately addressed on a message board.

I am with you Campy. Crimminy, i think we are one non -interference call in the Houston game away from Orton never seeing the field this year. Outside of the Jets two games, i have no idea where people see that Orton is better than EJ...I truly do not see it. Forgrt potential, I think flat out EJ is the better QB now!!!

Caveat...if they let him play his style, and not the overcoached robot he became.

Why one sucks and one sucks worse (EJ) and will never amount to anything (EJ). I presume you think starting EJ must = it gives him some chance to redeem himself?

I hope you have a word document set up to copy and paste this bullsh-- every time, because otherwise this crusade has got to be a big drag on your productivity.

I was all for starting Orton after the Houston game because I want results now. I may have been wrong. Miami stuck with Tannehill last year when all the fans wanted him benched. Many of the things being said about EJ now, were said about Tannehill. Their patience is starting to pay off, he is starting to look like an NFL QB. He has a ways to go but he is improving. If Orton is not the future, start EJ

Did I miss something? Improving at what? Holding a clipboard? What have you seen that would lead you to believe that EJ has improved as a quarterback?

I am with you Campy. Crimminy, i think we are one non -interference call in the Houston game away from Orton never seeing the field this year. Outside of the Jets two games, i have no idea where people see that Orton is better than EJ...I truly do not see it. Forgrt potential, I think flat out EJ is the better QB now!!!

Caveat...if they let him play his style, and not the overcoached robot he became.

Lots of people saw it.

Now there's an understatement if I've ever seen one. Orton is playing bad football for the Bills and has been doing so since the KC game. Enough of this guy as the "best chance to win". He's over!

Actually, it goes back further than that. I know people want to give him credit for pulling out the Detroit and Minnesota games - and I will give him credit as well. However, the reality is that it was Orton's horrible play for most of 3 quarters (i.e.; pick sixes and turnovers leading directly to opponents points, inaccurate throws, etc) that greatly contributed to putting the team in the position to have to come back at the end of those games. Orton is exactly what he always has been, a QB that makes plays from time to time that lead you to think he can be "the guy," when, in actuality, those good plays are far outweighed by bad plays. And many of those bad plays are not just bad, they are game changing (i. e.; pick sixes, turnovers in the red zone, not even trying to run/dive for a make-able first down in a crucial moment in a crucial game, etc).

With that said, I don't know what the answer is for this team. I do not think EJ should come in now. I do not believe he is the answer at the moment; however, I would continue to let him develop. We are where we are with the QB situation and there really isn't anything we can do about it right now. Nor are there any top echelon QBs on the horizon. I think the best thing this team can do in free agency and the draft is to do everything possible to overhaul the offensive line, which would take a lot of pressure off the QB position. Then bring in whatever free agent QBs they can, draft one or two, and let them all compete....

As for the rest of the season? All we can do is watch the team play the hand they have...and hope