Sammy Watkins = The Real Deal

Haef

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This doesn't get mentioned enough, and it's hardly the first time I've noticed his blocking this season. It's an element of his game that very few WRs possess, and he's not just passable; he's got elite blocking skills for a WR.

That's the problem. He shouldn't be blocking, others should be blocking for him.

That's the problem. He shouldn't be blocking, others should be blocking for him.

I know what you mean, and I agree that I'd rather have the ball in his hands than Hogan's. At the same time, isn't it nice to know you have a guy that can spring other players for big plays when defenses are keying on him?

Exactly. That's how you justify a player like Josh Reed, not a guy you draft 4th overall, with an extra 1st and 4th added in.

we arent going to run 60 plays to sammy though, so that he is a strong contributor in the ones not going to him is a nice added perk.

Watkins is great. No player except a QB is worth more than one pick. It was a bad trade for a good player. Kiko is our first round pick next year. And Hughes is a star out of nowhere. They will draft TE, guard, RB, guard, center, safety.

this. the offense isn't much improved with him this year. the two most recent top picks, manuel and watkins, that were meant to improve the offense haven't. they cost a huge amount in draft picks. fail. plain and simple.

He's a great player, a complete player at his position sorta like Freddie.

Took out two guys on Hogan's TD.

Is a asset in what is essentially the run game (screens), is a possession receiver and can stretch the field.

Best WR in a strong draft class.

I don't pretend to know today whether giving up the extra first was the right move, but I'm confident in my own mind that he is totally outstanding and good enuf to have gone 1 overall.

this. the offense isn't much improved with him this year. the two most recent top picks, manuel and watkins, that were meant to improve the offense haven't. they cost a huge amount in draft picks. fail. plain and simple.

Watkins has been very good. How about going to the Houston board and discussing the #1 pick Clowney????

Sorry but I'm gonna call you out on this. Stats are often stupid? So how is it that you know Mike WIlliams is better than Hogan? Could it possibly be that Mike Williams put up good "numbers/stats" in TB and that's why you think he's better? Otherwise putting stats aside their measurables are fairly similar:

Chris Hogan:

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 221

40 time: 4.5 secs (10 yard split 1.57)

Bench press: 28 reps

3-cone drill: 6.75 secs

Mike Williams:

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 221

40 time: 4.53 secs (10 yard split 1.53)

Bench press: 8 reps

3-cone drill: 6.9 secs

All of this matters very little if the QB throwing the ball can't throw it accurately. So you can argue until you are blue in the face that Marrone is leaving the "better" player on the bench, although he was injured, but I think you are almost certainly using past performance (stats) to make that judgement.

Stats are often stupid. Touchdown stats are rarely if ever stupid.

Did you ever watch MWilliams play in TB? He was very good.

Stats are often stupid. Touchdown stats are rarely if ever stupid.

Did you ever watch MWilliams play in TB? He was very good.

Yea I did.

Which is why I think your statement isn't accurate. If Williams didn't score TDs or put up yards in TB would you be defending his "right" to play? His previous TDs, which is a stat, is stupid?

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Simple equation.

If EJ was the answer, the Watkins deal would have been great.

Since EJ does not appear to be the answer, the Satisfaction nseman deal was a step backwards.

We could have taken any of a handful receivers and kept the pick next season.

Yea I did.

Which is why I think your statement isn't accurate. If Williams didn't score TDs or put up yards in TB would you be defending his "right" to play? His previous TD stats mean nothing to you?

Yea I did.

Which is why I think your statement isn't accurate. If Williams didn't score TDs or put up yards in TB would you be defending his "right" to play? His previous TDs, which is a stat, is stupid?

Stats are often stupid. I am defending his right to play based on 4-5 reasons. 1] His very solid production in Tampa Bay watching him often outmuscle and outjump and outtime defenders for the ball. 2] Our GM trading for Watkins and him which was strategic and calculated to get a desired result which is not getting utilized with him not playing, 3] Our greatest problem, not scoring in the redzone is his greatest strength which he repeatedly showed he can do and there is zero reason to believe he cannot do it again, especially because in the first game this year the one time they tried it he jumped up and made the catch that was partially/directly responsible for the win, 4] Chris Hogan IMO is vastly overrated watching him constantly not get first downs because he runs patterns short, drop passes, fumble, go down immediately, not break tackles which far outweigh the decent amount of catches and plays he does make.

Watkins has been very good. How about going to the Houston board and discussing the #1 pick Clowney????

what's your point? because another teams draft choice didn't work out well it's ok that we overpayed for ours? i don't follow the logic. we should be using highly succesful teams as measuring sticks not other mediocre ones unless the desire is to remain mediocre. i you are already behind the most successful teams, you need to manage your team even better than theirs to catch up. and for what it's worth, the texans only spent one 1st rounder on clowney while already improving their win total from last year from 2 to 7. we've gone from 6 to 7 so far.

Yea I did.

Is this a new take on Buddy Ryan logic?

Stats are often stupid. I am defending his right to play based on 4-5 reasons. 1] His very solid production in Tampa Bay watching him often outmuscle and outjump and outtime defenders for the ball. 2] Our GM trading for Watkins and him which was strategic and calculated to get a desired result which is not getting utilized with him not playing, 3] Our greatest problem, not scoring in the redzone is his greatest strength which he repeatedly showed he can do and there is zero reason to believe he cannot do it again, especially because in the first game this year the one time they tried it he jumped up and made the catch that was partially/directly responsible for the win, 4] Chris Hogan IMO is vastly overrated watching him constantly not get first downs because he runs patterns short, drop passes, fumble, go down immediately, not break tackles which far outweigh the decent amount of catches and plays he does make.

Right, so stats matter and are not stupid for Mike Williams but they don't matter for Chris Hogan.

There's nothing wrong with that statement because at this point in time MW has better stats. It's the basis for why you think he should be playing.

Right, so stats matter and are not stupid for Mike Williams but they don't matter for Chris Hogan.

There's nothing wrong with that statement because at this point in time MW has better stats. It's the basis for why you think he should be playing.

No. The basis for why I think he should be playing is stated in the reasons above, which have nothing to do with stats. The stats say he should be playing too.