$15 Minimum Wage Battle Moves To Other Industries

Tiberius

This is as good a thread as any, although it could also go into the Buffalo News thread.

A whole lot of stupid and ignorance of reality here. Is it surprising that journalists have a tentative grip on reality?

A week ago, reporters and editors in the combined newsroom of DNAinfo and Gothamist, two of New York City’s leading digital purveyors of local news, celebrated victory in their vote to join a union.

On Thursday, they lost their jobs, as Joe Ricketts, the billionaire founder of TD Ameritrade who owned the sites, shut them down.

But in the financially daunting era of digital journalism, there has been no tougher nut to crack than making local news profitable, a lesson Mr. Ricketts, who lost money every month of DNAinfo’s existence, is just the latest to learn.

The news took the newsroom by surprise. David Colon, a reporter for Gothamist, said that a lawyer for DNAinfo was present when the staff was told, but that he “didn’t really” take questions.

“Very classy,” Mr. Colon said. “I yelled a lot and somebody told me to stop. Now we’re all trying to figure out what to do.”

When the email from Mr. Ricketts landed, “it hit the newsroom like a thunderclap,” said Scott Heins, a Gothamist reporter. “At Gothamist we feel as if the choices made to merge are what set us on this path. I’m very adamant that the union didn’t kill DNAinfo and Gothamist, Joe Ricketts made the decision to kill Gothamist and DNAinfo.”

This is as good a thread as any, although it could also go into the Buffalo News thread.

A whole lot of stupid and ignorance of reality here. Is it surprising that journalists have a tentative grip on reality?

I'm all for people maximizing their pay and benefits. However, when you set your price to be more than you're worth, don't complain when you get nothing. Though I suppose it's easier to blame the owner for closing up shop than understanding that they put themselves out of work.

I'm all for people maximizing their pay and benefits. However, when you set your price to be more than you're worth, don't complain when you get nothing. Though I suppose it's easier to blame the owner for closing up shop than understanding that they put themselves out of work.

And when you're organizing to get your "fair share" of something that's not even earning money, don't be shocked when you're the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Plus...union members, pool your money, buy the property, and make it a co-op. He'll probably sell cheap, since it was so underperforming that shutting it down was a viable option. If you believe so much in the property, pick it up. I mean...this is what you want, right? To not be enslaved by management in the capitalist system? Now's your chance.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Pizza chain closes several stores, renames others to avoid minimum wage hike

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2018/01/marks_pizzeria_name_change_skaneateles.html

Just think of all the new restaurants that will open because of the new $15 minimum wage

MacDonalds

Mick Donalds

Burger Ring

Windys

Hartees

Subday

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, /dev/null said:

That's nice and all, but what good is a burger flipping machine, when someone still has squeeze past the machine to put the patties on the grill, and squeeze past it again to add the cheese towards the end?

• 3 months later...

This just seems like a bad idea. Prices will increase and tips will decrease. It would take away the incentive for a lot of servers to be attentive and friendly. The ones who take pride in their job and go the extra miles for customers will be negatively affected by the price increase. I enjoy rewarding great service with a great tip, but if the prices are raised too much, I will be more likely to eat at home most nights.

Opposition from nearly every elected official and a well-funded campaign by the restaurant industry proved no match as District residents on Tuesday backed a ballot measure to raise the minimum wage for servers, bartenders and others relying on tips.

Initiative 77 passed with 55 percent of the vote, although its supporters were outspent. Voters in the wealthier western part of the city narrowly rejected the measure, while more than 6 in 10 voters in poorer neighborhoods east of the Anacostia River favored it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/dc-voters-approve-wage-hike-for-restaurant-workers-defying-elected-officials/2018/06/19/d3cf4992-730f-11e8-b4b7-308400242c2e_story.html

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

2 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

This just seems like a bad idea. Prices will increase and tips will decrease. It would take away the incentive for a lot of servers to be attentive and friendly. The ones who take pride in their job and go the extra miles for customers will be negatively affected by the price increase. I enjoy rewarding great service with a great tip, but if the prices are raised too much, I will be more likely to eat at home most nights.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/dc-voters-approve-wage-hike-for-restaurant-workers-defying-elected-officials/2018/06/19/d3cf4992-730f-11e8-b4b7-308400242c2e_story.html

I will certainly stop tipping in DC.

Between this, the 10% DC tax on meals and the oft-applied 18% gratuity on meals, this is about a 50% hike on restaurant prices.  

15 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I will certainly stop tipping in DC.

Between this, the 10% DC tax on meals and the oft-applied 18% gratuity on meals, this is about a 50% hike on restaurant prices.  

Is the 18% based on the size of your party? I know a group of 6 or more is an automatic gratuity in a lot of places.

11 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

Is the 18% based on the size of your party? I know a group of 6 or more is an automatic gratuity in a lot of places.

That's kind of the norm for most restaurants I've been to.

I hate the policy. To me, a tip is to reward great service.