Forward pass ruling

SouthernMan

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL.com highlight videos have become unwatchable. Or at least you need to mute them. It makes me want to throw up listening to Michael Irving and those other idiots constantly trying to one up each other with stupid jokes and hyperbolic, nonsensical statements. The art of a great commentator/analyst has been lost completely. The idiot on the Bills/Browns highlight doesn't sound like a football guy. Didn't know enough to even realize that the call was totally botched.

Deion Sanders flat out says that's a horrible call and questions how anyone could say that was a pass.

Key point here is: the official doesn't know. There's no way they can discern intent (unless it's Brady, who then tells them what his intent was). That's why the rule's written the way it is: if the QB's arm is moving forward, and he fumbles, it's an incomplete pass. Even if he wasn't going to pass.

But I don't know what the hell the refs were thinking on Manziel's fumble. My first thought when I saw that was "Looks like the officials have found their next Tom Brady to coddle."

It can't be both!!! Is it a fumble or an incomplete pass? (the answer is obvious) If the rule is so loose that all a QB has to do is move their arm in a forward motion, why wouldn't every QB simply move their arm in that direction each time a sack is imminent? You know why? Because intentional grounding would be called.

The problem is this - who was the intended receiver (assuming it really was a pass)? And for the sake of argument, let's say we went along with the "arm moving forward/fumble" rule. THE BALL NEVER LEFT HIS HAND until he was being tackled and the ball was knocked out of his hand! How can that be considered a pass by any definition of the word 'pass'? It's absurd!

If it was a pass (as was ruled following replay), then it was an incomplete backwards pass, as the ball NEVER WENT FORWARD from Manziel's hand or body. If it was an incomplete backwards pass, by rule, it's a live ball (a fumble).

So, let's break it down. What is the definition in the game of football of "a pass" and/or "a forward pass". I'm not going to bother looking it up, but I'd love to see the NFL rule book's definition of pass. I can't imagine there's anything in the rule book that describes what we saw yesterday as a pass.

Let me reiterate. My issue isn't this one play or one game. It's the overall level of incompetence that has plagued many games in 2014. This was just icing on the cake.

Ref got it wrong. Obviously the tuck rule still lives and is applied selectively.

Bingo.

I've never been one of those people who think the NFL is rigged, because I always thought there was too many variables.

But the fact that they overruled that play made me really question things. It was so clear that the ball was being pulled back in when the fumble occurred, hell if it was called incomplete and challenged, it was clear enough for THAT to be overturned. The fact that they "reviewed" the play and overturned the play on the field, is complete bull ****, and makes me really wonder what is going on behind the scenes. Do they have a vested interest in protecting Manziel, and presenting him as a hero? Were they trying to set up a comeback for ratings and news stories?

The NFL is in the entertainment business. They are competing for your disposable income with other sports, or movies or taking a camping or skiing trip. "Johnny Football" is already one of the marquee names in the league; his touchdown was/is by far the most replayed highlight from the weekend and he is the biggest 'story' in the NFL today. You can bet your house and children he'll be starting on Sunday and that he's already on the list for Brady-type treatment going forward.

Just to echo the sentiments here, It was clearly a fumble- you can see his hand curl in to try and bring it closer to his body when he gets hit. It is eerily similar to the Tom Brady Tuck Game ruling. In the broadcast of the game their expert ref said it was a clear fumble. Today however they say his arm was "clearly moving forward" take a look for yourself:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap3000000437300/Blandino-on-Buccaneers-ending-Manziel-fumble

What's the explanation for the sudden confidence in it being an incomplete pass? Interesting question. One thing is for certain though, that being called an incomplete pass definitely added to the Johnny Football hype. And if he would have led them to another score after that call? I would have been shocked if another major call had not gone their way to set the stage for the potential superstar (and more importantly cash cow) that is JFF....

What?! What sort of throw is he looking at, when the defender hits the ball, the ball is pointed 9 oclock (relative to Manziel), and below his chest. That's the strangest throwing motion ever. Or, you know, he decided against throwing the ball, and was in the motion of bring it back to his body.

!@#$ the refs. !@#$ the NFL.

It's a joke, but the NFL is so powerful that they really don't have much incentive to overhaul their current system.

Yeah, aren't they a bunch of people with full time jobs outside of officiating as well?

The NFL.com highlight videos have become unwatchable. Or at least you need to mute them. It makes me want to throw up listening to Michael Irving and those other idiots constantly trying to one up each other with stupid jokes and hyperbolic, nonsensical statements. The art of a great commentator/analyst has been lost completely. The idiot on the Bills/Browns highlight doesn't sound like a football guy. Didn't know enough to even realize that the call was totally botched.

TV and Highlight commentators should take a note from radio broadcasting.

It is sad when I have to wait ten minutes to find out who that player was because I couldn't see the number. You have one job. In radio, they have no choice but to actually call the game or else listeners have no idea what is going on. I don't want to hear you and your partner talking about nothing important. I want to hear you talking about the game that is going on right now.

Just to echo the sentiments here, It was clearly a fumble- you can see his hand curl in to try and bring it closer to his body when he gets hit. It is eerily similar to the Tom Brady Tuck Game ruling. In the broadcast of the game their expert ref said it was a clear fumble. Today however they say his arm was "clearly moving forward" take a look for yourself:

http://www.nfl.com/v...-Manziel-fumble

What's the explanation for the sudden confidence in it being an incomplete pass? Interesting question. One thing is for certain though, that being called an incomplete pass definitely added to the Johnny Football hype. And if he would have led them to another score after that call? I would have been shocked if another major call had not gone their way to set the stage for the potential superstar (and more importantly cash cow) that is JFF....

That is the most ridiculous argument I have ever heard. I would like Blandino to look at the Giants Eli Manning fumble, and the Manziel fumble, and tell me what exactly is the difference.

Edited by What a Tuel

I think Johnny Football is a huge ratings draw for the NFL. The online stream for the game suddenly went stop and start when he entered the game. Massive amount of new viewers. While I don't think the games are fixed, I do think "stars" get a different interpretation of the rules sometimes.

The NFL would love for Johnny to succeed.

How bout this--if the ball never leaves the QB's hand and instead gets knocked OUT of his hand...and travels BACKWARD...IT CAN'T BE A !@#$ING INCOMPLETE PASS

Haha, that would be too simple. What if the QB meant to throw it?!?! Why make it so clear cut? The officials need a little wiggle room to be inconsistent!

Right. So next time a QB gets his forearm broken while pump faking it's only an incomplete forward pass?

Did the refs ever locate the phantom receiver Johnny Assball was targeting while he was furiously backpedalling away from the onslaught of our D Line?

How bout this--if the ball never leaves the QB's hand and instead gets knocked OUT of his hand...and travels BACKWARD...IT CAN'T BE A !@#$ING INCOMPLETE PASS

By the NFL official's definition seen in the link posted earlier,a pump fake is a pass. How about that?!? And that is real weird, because it means a player can have two (or more) forward passes in the same play! Pump-fake, pump-fake,pump-fake, completion! 1 for 4. A guy could throw for 25% on one play! Who knew?

Let's make it simple NFL. Revise the rule book to read: "If a ball is forced from the passer's hand by a defender, prior to the play being whistled dead, it is a fumble"

End of discussion!

That would certainly take care of one aspect of the ruling. The idea that it's defined as a pass because the QB "meant to" pass it, even though it never left his hand, is beyond ridiculous. By that logic, I say the Bills should be awarded the win in Superbowl XXV since presumablly, Scott Norwood meant to kick it between the posts and not wide right! Way to go Scotty!!!

That's the official NFL position?!!!! That the ball has to be brought back 100% into the body for the tuck rule NOT to apply? So if you bring it back 75% or 90% but not 100% the tuck rule applies??? That's absolutely asinine. Why don't they just admit that they blew the call?

WOW that was a terrible explanation.