Forward pass ruling

SouthernMan

Yeah, I have a hard time understanding why Manziel's was ruled an incomplete pass on review. The only thing I can think of is that they don't think he had full control while bring it back...that it was already coming out before bringing it back. I have a hard time understanding BECAUSE the tuck rule was eliminated.

That said, I didn't know anyone thought the refs got the ruling wrong on the Brady play. I remember the day after the play all the commentators reading the rule and saying that with that rule a quarterback could run around pump faking constantly and never fumble, because according to the rule even if the quarterback was pulling the ball back, it was an incomplete pass until the ball was tucked away. Stupid rule...which is why they got rid of it...but since it was in the books BEFORE Brady lost the ball it was the correct call.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree. How could anyone in their right mind have reversed this call. Unless of course the league wanted to showcase Manziel by showing the TD he scored and not have to sully it with the fact that he lost a fumble for a Bills TD. If you watched the Sunday night highlight show before the game on NBC, of course that is exactly what happened. Johnny football had a wonderful debut, scoring a TD on his first ever possession.

So....you think that there was a secret cabal formed in the moments after the play occurred involving high placed NFL executives and the referees on the field to nullify a play that made JF look bad? Sure, that seems way more likely than a referee simply making a mistake. The nagging question though is why didn't that all powerful secret cabal manipulate the game so that JF could lead a 4th quarter comeback resulting in a Brown's victory?

If that's clearly not a fumble then Orton was shafted with a fumble that should have irrefutable been an incomplete pass a few games back.

Yeah, I have a hard time understanding why Manziel's was ruled an incomplete pass on review. The only thing I can think of is that they don't think he had full control while bring it back...that it was already coming out before bringing it back. I have a hard time understanding BECAUSE the tuck rule was eliminated.

That said, I didn't know anyone thought the refs got the ruling wrong on the Brady play. I remember the day after the play all the commentators reading the rule and saying that with that rule a quarterback could run around pump faking constantly and never fumble, because according to the rule even if the quarterback was pulling the ball back, it was an incomplete pass until the ball was tucked away. Stupid rule...which is why they got rid of it...but since it was in the books BEFORE Brady lost the ball it was the correct call.

The tuck rule basically said if the ball slips out when pump faking (or aborting the pass) then it's not a fumble. Brady had already completed that motion, brought the ball back to his body, and put his other hand on the ball before it was knocked loose.

The language was cumbersome enough that it's plausibly understandable for a former player of middling intelligence to believe that, but I can't believe a lawyer like Goodell, who presumably has some experience reading and interpreting statutes, doesn't know better. The league understandably misconstrued the rule after the fact to protect itself from having to admit their idiot ref sent the wrong team to the Superbowl.

Edited by Rob's House